Author Topic: Changes coming to Swope league!  (Read 3401 times)

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
Re: Changes coming to Swope league!
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 07:29:18 AM »
Starting in May, we will have 2 changes to the Swope league.

1.  Ratings based divisions.  Since I've been running league this year, we've only had 1 masters card.  As a result of the large open and am divisions, I've decided to implement a cash division between the 2.  Ratings cuttoff have yet to be determined, but I'm working on that.  Here's the breakdown.
Pro 1:  $7 entry, $4.50 from each player into the pot,  top 1/4 get paid. (possibly 970 and up)
Pro 2:  $5 entry, 2.5 from each player into the pot, top 1/3 get paid.  (970 and down)
Am 1:  $5 entry, KC Cash payout, top 1/2 get paid (I think...Whatever it is now) (920 and down)
Am 2:
And so on.

2.  An actual league.  This will be a 15 week league.  Cost of playing this 15 week league is $20 UP FRONT.  Your best 10 weeks count.  This will go ACROSS DIVISIONS using ratings.  Here's how it works:  For a given week, you will have a player rating to begin the round.  This player rating will be compared with your round rating that night to see the % difference.  Based on this difference, you'll be ranked against those playing in the league that night.  Like the PDGA points system, you will be awarded points for how many people you beat that night in the % difference.  So your best ten nights will be counted, and we'll pay out 1/3 of the those who paid in. 

Please let me know any questions or comments you have.  I'm looking forward to mixing it up at Swope this summer!

1. I think shaking things up is a good idea.

2. I don't think Timko is saying you have to be in the overall league and play every week to play in Swope league.  You could still show up and play league like normal occasionally.  You just wouldn't be in on the $20 deal and the overall payout (wouldn't have to pay the entry fee, wouldn't collect if you won the overall).  You could still win the weekly prize.

3. Chris, I think restricting Am to 920 is a bad idea. You can't force someone to play as a pro, even at the local level. Cajole, coax, yes. Force, no.  Am1 could be anyone who wants to play for KC Kash.  Am2 would them be 920 and below.

4. I think the Pro2 is a good idea.  Makes it more about skill level rather than if you're 40 or not.

5. I don't think you can force pros to pay the extra $2. If you make the $2 an extra sidebet and pay it separately, it'd be more fair.
I would purposely play Advanced when Swope had the mandatory extra $2 for Open a few years ago.

Chap

John, the biggest reason for the $7 for Pro1 was to keep a large pool in that field without hurting taking from the other fields payouts.  I'm pretty sure the biggest argument from the best players at Swope would be that all the payout left Pro1 and went to Pro2.  A $7 entry fee make sure the Pro1 still has a large payout, because I'd expect Pro2 to be the biggest field.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 07:30:36 AM »
better get that ratings formula from John then, and start to track it at your league, what are you going to do with people without ratings?
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 07:36:54 AM »
Do you have to have a pdga rating to get in?  Not everyone plays PDGA tourneys and we don't locally track these stats. 

I think there should be some shake up but why turn off the regulars when you can just turn on new players somewhere else.  This is about expanding our league turnouts not pissing off the already salty players.  Regardless of what you think of them. 

I think sometimes you get on a one track idea and put your blinders on and forget about what everyone else is suggesting.  Just remember we need something like this at SMP and instead of putting your efforts into making that happen or helping people put that together your just "shakin" up an already successful mini.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 07:47:33 AM by dickthediscparker »
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 08:54:48 AM »
FWIW, and BTW, I heard nothing mentioned of this last night at league..... ;D

Chris I completely agree we need to do some different things and Dick, we did keep stats last year (Ok, we is John Chapman) so we do have some local ratings as well.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 10:04:27 AM »
FWIW, and BTW, I heard nothing mentioned of this last night at league..... ;D

Chris I completely agree we need to do some different things and Dick, we did keep stats last year (Ok, we is John Chapman) so we do have some local ratings as well.....

After everyone's objection to what I wrote yesterday, I figured it would be better for some discussion on the issue before I just go and announce it.

davetv81

• Am Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 10:37:19 AM »
Go for it Chris.  old dogs can learn new tricks.......   

DG Thuggy

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 12:19:46 PM »
So far it sounds like the main concern is whether or not this change will turn off the regulars.  I find it hard to believe that someone who enjoys playing disc golf at Swope on Tuesday night will now refuse to go out there.  In the end, not much as changed; you go out to league, pick whether you want to play for cash or kccash (i agree with chappy that you shouldn't force anyone to play for cash/pro), and then compete in a singles format.

If regulars leaving the league is an actual concern then why not just ask them.  That would certainly help the argument of those making that claim.

The "actual league" option is entirely optional and doesn't change the weekly event in any way.  I don't see how it will have anything but potentially a positive impact on turnout.

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 03:13:33 PM »
Good Luck.  I was just trying to save Rimdope a headache but in turn I and a few others have the headaches and have invested too much time into this topic. 

again.  Good Luck
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru