Author Topic: Disc Golfer Magazine  (Read 3522 times)

Deano

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Disc Golfer Magazine
« on: April 14, 2009, 02:49:43 PM »
Anyone notice the pot leaf on the back of players shirt on the cover of the spring 2009 disc golfer magizine?   Wow!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:41:53 AM by Kevin Montgomery »

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
Re: Disc Golfer Magizine
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 02:55:26 PM »
Anyone notice the pot leaf on the back of players shirt on the cover of the spring 2009 disc golfer magizine?   Wow!

Oops!! I bet Steve Rico doesn't care... They did disguise it pretty good, but I wonder why people wanna "advertise" that way...
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

Deano

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 03:00:49 PM »
Yeah, I have had the mag for weeks and just noticed it.

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 03:05:04 PM »
Must have been a "C"-tier event.... The "Can-Do" tier.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 03:22:10 PM »
That is his independent company that he and a few of his buddies run.  Yes it is very ambiguous but they are just "chains" from an obscure viewpoint.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

weshiltonlaw

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 03:56:16 PM »
I have a tie dyed shirt from a tournament in Springfield that has a pot leaf on the basket instead of a hole number, it was a PDGA event also.

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 04:12:51 PM »
all that BS needs to stop on shirts, logos, flyers for money events.  Do you really want that out there.  Come on folks, people bit$% and complain about sponsorship, yet we allow that stuff to be on published materials.  Are you going to see players last week at the Masters with gear like that.  Well some of you might say, "i do not want those stuff folks playing our game," well that is to bad becuase of the abundance of courses. Hmm ,i wonder why ball golf has large purses.  Disc golf has small purses with limited sponsorship.  Maybe folks do not want to associate their good names with illegal drugs.  There is time and a place for everything and i dont want to rain on anyones parade, but seriously.   i think most folks understand that, but why go out of your way and be blatant and in your face?  I see this like all the students that i work with that act up all the time for attention.  All the other students know that they are doing it for attention.  Okay, cool dude, you like to smoke.  The whole pot thing over and over and over just reeks of middle school behavior.  All the doctors, lawyers and professional folks that partake are not going around wearing their "  i smoke pot badge". 

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 04:24:27 PM »
I don't think we need to get bent out of shape.  I understand the anger but this is a free capitalistic society in which we have freedom to do as we wish with our companies as long as it turns a dime.  Now we could just go as far as not buy from that company and companies like them.  Also not allowing their clothes to get "face time" in our publications. But it is an ambiguous logo so there isn't a whole lot you can do other than not point it out with a big red arrow and bring more problems than it's worth.  BUT I DO WANT TO SAY... John i love your enthusiasm for the sport and bringing youth to it.  Keep it up and with people like you and the people you effect we will have a more positive side to show.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 05:07:57 PM »
I'm sure this post is going to be widespread enough to cause great harm to the disc golf community!   ;)

General Banter....is this not the correct heading for such DISCcusion?   :o

I find it funny because I personally got an e-mail from the PDGA about an Avatar I was using at one time that "RESEMBLED" the PDGA logo, but in all reality was completely different.  But now they publish a magazine to the whole disc golf community that pertains to the same sort of material and nothing gets brought up?

I believe the PDGA often preaches one thing but then turns around and walks the other way.....

Dick do you have a website for Rico's company?  I would like to have a look at the REAL logo....
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 05:12:57 PM by Slant »
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Deano

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 05:12:01 PM »
Collector Items  ;D

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »
No it's some SoCal company. I played with the kid who started it at the Memorial last year.  and then played with RICO in the Wide Open.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...

Ash

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 12:00:20 PM »
all that BS needs to stop on shirts, logos, flyers for money events.  Do you really want that out there.  Come on folks, people bit$% and complain about sponsorship, yet we allow that stuff to be on published materials.  Are you going to see players last week at the Masters with gear like that.  Well some of you might say, "i do not want those stuff folks playing our game," well that is to bad becuase of the abundance of courses. Hmm ,i wonder why ball golf has large purses.  Disc golf has small purses with limited sponsorship.  Maybe folks do not want to associate their good names with illegal drugs.  There is time and a place for everything and i dont want to rain on anyones parade, but seriously.   i think most folks understand that, but why go out of your way and be blatant and in your face?  I see this like all the students that i work with that act up all the time for attention.  All the other students know that they are doing it for attention.  Okay, cool dude, you like to smoke.  The whole pot thing over and over and over just reeks of middle school behavior.  All the doctors, lawyers and professional folks that partake are not going around wearing their "  i smoke pot badge". 

The pot isn't the problem, it is the ignorance about it that is the problem.

Nobody would be pissed if it was a Bud Light logo. The obviously more dangerous substance.
Ash Lawrence
KCFDC # 994

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 12:56:20 PM »

Nobody would be pissed if it was a Bud Light logo. The obviously more dangerous substance.
[/quote]

The issue with your argument is pot is illegal, Bud Light is not. 
Until that changes, which it probably should, the display of the pot leaf is not doing anything to positively impact the image of the sport.
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

Big Sky

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 01:06:18 PM »

Actually, it is a problem, because it is illegal. Whether or not it should be illegal is the real issue that gets some people all upset when a responsible individual like John makes a very truthful statement regarding the consequences of it and the majority perspective that it is not okay.

Now, this country is set up to allow for expressions such as ones depicting taboo subjects, just as Dick said. However, that does not mean it is wise to put it out in front, where the general public, and large companies may be discouraged from getting involved with the sport.

Also, I have a son. While leisure time has had its place in my life, I would not want my child unecessarily exposed to things that can be very damaging to personal developement and future success in life. I feel that way, and I think I have some rather liberal views. Typicall companies and parents are not going to want their children associated or involved with an activity that encourages breaking of the law and damage to the body and mind.

For the sport to experience large growth, it is essential to target the next generation. This will only be possible if the correct message is being conveyed.

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 01:28:49 PM »
It's tax day. I'd say taking 40% of a man's earnings in the form of various taxes and then not being able to use the taxes wisely enough to even keep a balanced budget is ILLEGAL.  :P