Author Topic: Disc Golfer Magazine  (Read 3446 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Disc Golfer Magizine
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2010, 01:27:07 PM »
I was the other TD, and it didn't happen at my course.  I typically tell people at the begining of every event, that I don't wanna DQ you, but if I catch you, I will.

So dont put me in that position, and wait and do it in your car in between rounds.  If you can't wait 3 hours, then you have a bigger problem that you need to be working on.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

csheafer

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2010, 09:13:58 PM »
I should have been more specific. This about 10 - 12 years ago

csheafer

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2010, 09:20:32 PM »
 We as individuals are holding ourselves down by not having good PR people not having the right people (yet) to get us into the mainstream and to make disc golf fun to watch on TV.   We must admit.  Not that interesting to watch if you don't play.   The filming of our sport and the overall production of our media sucks.  That is what is keeping us down.  Lack of people interested in watching this game on TV.   Without people wanting to watch you don't have corporate sponsors and you don't have money.   This is America we can make people forget the other stuff if there is an interest enough to watch and spend money. 

Ok I'm done.  I think I just got off on a tangent that I promised my self I wouldn't do.  So take it or leave it I just like to ramble before I have had all my coffee/.   

Hey guys, there is an event sceduled through live.todocast.tv
It costs 10 bucks but it is for 3 days of broadcast about 4 hours a day.
It is a National Tour Event so it should be awesome!

Go to the PDGA web site for the link

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2010, 10:26:32 PM »
Did you know that Rico doesn't even smoke pot?

Secondly, rehab for weed? Really?
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

Brian

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2010, 11:26:28 PM »
Only losers and burnouts smoke weed-like granny here.

csheafer

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2010, 06:04:37 AM »

Secondly, rehab for weed? Really?

No, not for just weed. It was for a lot of things.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2010, 07:36:10 AM »
 We as individuals are holding ourselves down by not having good PR people not having the right people (yet) to get us into the mainstream and to make disc golf fun to watch on TV.   We must admit.  Not that interesting to watch if you don't play.   The filming of our sport and the overall production of our media sucks.  That is what is keeping us down.  Lack of people interested in watching this game on TV.   Without people wanting to watch you don't have corporate sponsors and you don't have money.   This is America we can make people forget the other stuff if there is an interest enough to watch and spend money. 

Ok I'm done.  I think I just got off on a tangent that I promised my self I wouldn't do.  So take it or leave it I just like to ramble before I have had all my coffee/.   

Hey guys, there is an event sceduled through live.todocast.tv
It costs 10 bucks but it is for 3 days of broadcast about 4 hours a day.
It is a National Tour Event so it should be awesome!

Go to the PDGA web site for the link

Again.  This only proves my point.  While yes the web driven live broadcasts are cool for you and me as disc golfers, there is really still no interest from an outsiders standpoint.  It isn't filmed well.  Ok yes it is good enough for the average golfer to get a fix but this isn't bringing in the big sponsorships and network TV guys our anything to that effect. 

Also.   Back to my original point.  You are talking about something that happened 10-15 years ago.  The PDGA and disc golfers in general have made some steps to ensuring something like you seeing pot smoking during a tournament never happen.   So this is no a mute point on your part.   Things aren't like they were 10-15 years ago.  Tournaments are starting to be more family friendly and welcoming to kids.  You should have seen this years WORLDS.  Kids everywhere with their parents having a good time enjoying our sport.  So this whole argument now makes me mad.    And I'm not happy I had to take a stick a beat this stupid horse again.  This sport will be fine.  As will GOLF known for it's lack of respect for women or basketball where they pulls guns out in the locker rooms, or Football where they beat their wives, stab people, fund dog fights, and shoot themselves in the legs, or Snowboarding where they smoke a lot of herb, and lets not forget about soccer where in other countries it's not the players but the fans who are seriously screwed up and kill each other in the stands. 

The one thing they all have in common.  Cooperate sponsors, and film crews that make it interesting to watch.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2010, 08:15:16 AM »
You guys really need to drop this thread and move on! If everyone wonders why the sport is associated with weed all the time it's mainly because it's all everyone talks about.

During what measly media coverage we got for the 2009 Worlds, the conversation came up about weed in almost every interview...by the players...not the reporter.

If you want people to loose the association, STOP BRINGING IT UP!

Enough said gents...let's move on please!

Dan  >:(

PS- I vote to remove this thread...we got people about ready to make big decisions about our sport and they really do not need to be reading this sh!t!
For a good time: Lat- 39°25'8.92"N, Long- 94°33'18.52"W

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2010, 09:12:06 AM »
I agree, As a touring pro and see it on the front lines, I really wish the stigma about it being a "Hippy sport" would dissolve.

I, and many people I tour with, work hard and train to be the best. Where is that talked about? NOWHERE!

People want to focus on the negativity, but in the end, bad press is better than no press..

Look at snowboarding and skateboarding, they were labeled as "pot head sports" and look how they cleaned it up and now, making lots of chedda...

I agree, its time to clean up the image and start making real money in this sport!!!
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2010, 09:33:24 AM »
My last comment, promise. Based on what Ken just said it made me think about all the talk about getting disc golf into the Olympics. Snow Boarding started with the X Games before it became an Olympic sport, perhaps DG should pursure the Summer X Games?

Just something to gnaw on.....
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2010, 11:58:30 AM »
We aren't edgy enough.  Not enough people getting hurt.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:40:03 PM by dickthediscparker »
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2010, 01:37:31 PM »
........and players do get hurt in Ultimate. We are a global game, let's golf. No way should ping-pong, basketball, hockey, and flag waving be part of the Olympics, much more than disc golf. With events like the Japan Open <go Pete Cashen!>, USDGC and majors in Europe, who needs the Olympics or X-games. This game isn't so much about the money, it's about getting the world involved as players, not spectators.
espouse elucidation

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2010, 02:11:48 PM »
We aren't edgy enough.  Not enough people getting hurt.

Also, disc golf as a videoed sport doesn't really translate well to mass audiences.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2010, 02:46:58 PM »
I enjoyed the USDGC simulcast - hey it was free, and I youtube all the time for glimpses around the world of disc golf. I also watch NFL when it's free, although I am not a frequent football player, there is an audience out there for disc golf.
espouse elucidation

Mile High Golfer

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Shots
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2010, 02:50:36 PM »
I guess we could banter this back and forth some more but IMO as long as we take steps to protect the sport, courses and its players this should be a non-issue mainly because we will watch Snowboarders up in BC for the next few weeks competing and you can't tell me you won't see a leaf or two on their boards/helmets or maybe the clothing that is labeled 'Da Kine'. All you can do as an individual is to make sure people are aware of the rules or your personal feelings.

It’s been interesting here in Colorado the past few months with all the Medical Marijuana clinics/stores popping up and the all the ads in the papers as well as the regulations that they are putting in place. Right now I heard we have more “Clinics” than Starbucks..which is pretty eye opening if you think about it from a legality point. I would not be surprised to see it legalized in the next 5-10 years and if the country is smart the govt would tax it to pay for Health care reform…Why let the Drug cartels make the money and I also bet the violence associated with it in Arizona and boarder states would then go away..Just my 2.5 cents ( the .5 cents is for inflation)
Kiss the Sky - Aspen Mountain - Losing your Discs never felt this good!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottshots1/