Author Topic: Disc Golfer Magazine  (Read 3601 times)

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
Re: Disc Golfer Magizine
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2010, 10:51:14 PM »
which is pretty eye opening

Now that's chronic, err, ironic, dude!
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Disc Golfer Magazine
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2010, 09:34:21 AM »
Watching the curling yersterday, (you all already know I am a geek right?) and the announcer said something that hit home with Disc Golf, all these curlers, even though they have come a long way are not highly paid professionals.  They all no matter what level, recreational, country championships, world championships, and even the olympics, if you win on sunday, you still have to go back to work on Monday.

So this olympic thing may be a great idea, but olympic sports are not really the caveat taht will make this sport a self sustaining sport for the athletes.  There are many sports along these lines, so what is the goal od disc golf becoming an olympic sport?  Who does it really help?

I found that comment extremly on point with our sport, and had me thinking all night, even whilst watching the USA play horrible hockey and win, and Canada take forever to heat up, and the RUssian power finally start to move the team, and wondering why Federov really left the NHL, cuz boy still has game.....

So if disc golf were an olympic sport (why note winter olympics?  Ice Bowl every 4 years would be HUGE!) who would it benefit, beside the manufacturers of clothing and discs?  How many curling references do you hear outside of the winter olympics?

We play all over the world, the sport is recognized, but would the olympics really give a jolt to use for local events?
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Disc Golfer Magazine
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2010, 11:29:41 PM »
All,
When I saw this thread had come up again, I was glad because a lot of good points have been made. The varying points of view and observations say something about our sport. We are what makes disc golf happen. I, for one, am happy to be part of this community. We do great things!

In my work, I always make decisions based on what is best for my students/customers. So in the same vein as Jack. What is best for our sport? Now, I am not saying that touring pro's making silly over the top salaries is the answer. In fact, I think that is the worst part of pro sports, but some recognition is what I think we are all asking for in the end. We are athletes, we help our communities and each other, and without us, it doesn't happen.

In reference to the first topic, my two cents are borrowed from the good ol' innovator of English, Bill Shakespeare.

The better part of valor is discretion, in the which better part I have sav'd my life.

Henry The Fourth, Part 1 Act 5

Eric