Author Topic: Welcome to Friendly Shawnee Mission...  (Read 4292 times)

tedkeith

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Welcome to Friendly Shawnee Mission...
« on: April 20, 2009, 05:55:50 PM »
Went to play the Shawnee Mission Park Disc Golf Course for the first time after work Saturday with a buddy. We are both 40+ and pretty clean cut. We had no coolers or anything that might suggest we had alcohol with us. We barely got two holes in before being harassed by a park ranger wanting to search our golf bags. I guess playing disc golf is a suspicious enough activity in itself to warrant such treatment. Do they search the bags and coolers of the softball players or is it just the disc golfers? I suspect it is the later.

So be warned. They ARE going to harass you if you are in their park. Have fun, and don't mind the guys in the trees with binoculars.

They won't have to worry about me tracking through the deer and tick breeding grounds again anytime soon. There are too many other great courses in town to put up with that.

I wonder why they spent the money putting in a course when they obviously don't want us there  ???

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
Re: Welcome to Friendly Shawnee Mission...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 06:26:40 PM »
....a park ranger wanting to search our golf bags.

Is that even legal without some sort of probable cause? Did you let them look through your bags? I think I would have had to decline and offer to leave the park rather than subject to that sort of police state treatment.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

dogundertheporch

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 06:34:46 PM »
I 2nd this one,won't see me there again anytime soon. Me and a friend of mine had the same problem.I never liter on a course(not even cigg butts) but I was forced to when I saw a ranger checking the bags of others. Before he came our way I threw 2 beers in the woods so when he showed up my bag checked out ok. I feel so bad for having to do something like this,but it had to be done to save my a$$. That is the first time I had to litter on the course and it was only 2 beers not a 12 pack or case like I have seen others toting around other courses in the city(not that I have a problem with that)this is ridiculous.  :'(

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 07:48:47 PM »
that experience says a lot about the police state of the park ted.

i can't think of anyone that fits the harassable hippie profile less.

Keizer

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 08:37:46 PM »

Is that even legal without some sort of probable cause? Did you let them look through your bags? I think I would have had to decline and offer to leave the park rather than subject to that sort of police state treatment.

B-b-but, it's for the children... And I'm sure disc golfers are subject to the Patriot Act.

Do not resist, mere citizen. Submit to your benevolent government overlords, it is for your own protection. Remember, they used 9/11 to change everything...

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 12:04:28 AM »
I'll stick to courses I know are SAFE!!! Thanks for the tip.
Steven Disc Glover

tedkeith

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 08:18:02 AM »

He didn't physically search our bags but asked if he could "have a look". I was proactive and tilted my open competition bag so he could see there was no beer. I also pulled out my bottle of Diet Dr Pepper and showed it to him. :D He mellowed out then and said "Enjoy the park, WE are open till 11"

It wasn't that bad. I just didn't feel very welcome there as a disc golfer without a family in tow. I suppose for the area players it might be a plus. We were the only people using the course (other than a couple of geocachers) on a nice weekend afternoon. I bet Rosey was overflowing. Aren't we lucky here to have so many choices in where to play. Thanks to the many that have made it happen through the years!!

lucky4ever247

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 09:00:12 AM »
Beer League WILL NOT be playing Shawnee Mission.
RELAX!!!   I do All my own stunts!!!!!

Stitanic

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 09:04:53 AM »
I frequented the park before there was a disc golf course there and the park rangers are really overzealous.  My only speeding ticket came in SMP going 33 in a 25.......down a hill.  I thought I would play the course quite a bit b/c it is fairly close to me, but getting stopped every third or fourth round does not make for a very relaxing afternoon.
Over the line, Smokey! I'm sorry. That's a foul.

Spencer

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 11:09:13 AM »
My two friends and I were playing SMP a while back and a ranger on foot came out of freaking nowhere and was all up in our business. Said he was making sure my dog was on-leash, but he was acting real weird and obviously didn't seem to love the fact we were there. real jerk in my opinion considering we weren't drinking any booze and were minding our own business. hearing about the bag search thing is enough for me to never go there again, after already being harassed by cops and eaten alive by ticks out there it is not worth my time unless it's a tourney or something. I hope that this will not be the case when Black Hoof opens, as it is fairly close in proximity I believe, and I'm sure the Johnson County authorities will want to protect it also from dangerous disc golfers...

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 11:27:17 AM »

No one said the course isn't safe Dorkio, they said that they are enforcing the law of the land within the park.  I do not know how many times I have posted in here, don't drink at this park.  Are you really surprised?  Now I for one personally feel as though this is a complete invasion of privacy and rights, but that is not the issue.  The issue is that the entire PARK is ALCOHOL FREE, they have their OWN POLICE FORCE, what did you seriously expect.  Maybe now you will realize that you need to go the 1-2 hours without drinking, smoking, or doing other activities that are against the rules and law.  So why not start a trend and just......play 18 holes of disc golf,get in your car and go where you want to do what you want, just don't do it in the park.....

On a side note, the idea of playing at SM Park just got better by the same comment!  ;D :D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Ash

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 12:03:52 PM »
What an innapropriate way to treat citizens that are doing no harm. I kind of wish all the parks where alcohol free, it would greatly reduce the litter on the courses. I know not all beer drinkers are lazy POS's who can't get their can into the barrel 5 foot from the bench they left it under. It's just that the few that do really make a huge mess. However treating golfers like this just to make sure they don't have a couple of beers in their bag is completely rediculous.
Ash Lawrence
KCFDC # 994

savagesam

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 12:33:38 PM »
Having played the course a few dozen times it is not unusual to see empty beer cans along the course. I don't support the way they have gone about enforcing the Park Rules but am not sure what else they could do to address what they abviously view as a problem. As Jack said, it has been posted on this site many times that alcohol at the park would not be tolerated. I think that a few folks had also expressed the opinion that because of this it would be an ideal place to play with their kid's. Hopefully this is their way of getting the word out the Disc Golf Community that bringing beverages of that kind to the park will not be tolerated. Once players start respecting that and going elsewhere for those rounds the "Checkups" will stop. So if you don't like "ticks", "poison ivy" etc... there are many other fine parks in the area to enjoy. As far as Black Hoof park is concerned that is a Lenexa Park and not Johnson County. So who knows.
"ROC N ROLL"

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 02:05:37 PM »

Define "safe". Just behave wherever you go. The 2008 Player's Cup is likely to be the LAST Player's Cup due to players "doing what they want". We gotta stand up and be noticed in a POSITIVE way.
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 02:12:38 PM »
right SM is just like the plantation.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"