Author Topic: 21st Frontier Open in Hays Kansas  (Read 3327 times)

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
21st Frontier Open in Hays Kansas
« on: August 10, 2005, 05:16:07 PM »
The Frontier disc golf course will be the site of the 21st Annual Frontier Open September 10 and 11 in Hays. The tournament is a Professional Disc Golf Association B-tier sanctioned event and part of the Kansas Disc Golf Association's annual Oz Tour.

The Frontier open features 72 holes of golf, alternate tee pads, alternate pin placements, closest to pin shots, an ace fund and a putting contest. This year participants will play three rounds of 24 holes. There are divisions for all players at all skill levels. The divisions and fees are as follows:

Open $65;
Pro women, $65;
Masters, $65;
Advanced men, $50;
Advanced masters, $50;
Advanced women, $50;
Intermediate men, $35;
Intermediate women, $35;
Recreational, $35;
Juniors, $15.

Non-PDGA members will pay an additional $5 fee. Registration begins at 7:00 a.m. Saturday; for pre-registration visit www.maceman.com. Pay out is based on the number of participants and sponsors. All tournaments are subject to change. Participants should contact the tournament director the day before the tournament for updates/changes.

21st Annual Frontier Open List of Events

This year participants will play three rounds of 24 holes. There will be six temporary holes added to the existing course.

Friday, September 9 east side Frontier Park (pavilion near Tee #15).

• 5:00 - 6:30 p.m. Registration.
• 6:30 p.m. Random Draw Doubles competition, Pro and Am pool. The cost will be $10 per person.

Saturday, September 10 east side Frontier Park.

• 7:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. Last call Registration.
• 8:45 a.m. Players meeting.
• 9:00 a.m. Round 1 Tee off.
• One hour lunch break when last group finishes round 1.
• (TBA) Player’s meeting.
• (TBA) Round 2 Tee off.
• 7:30 - 9:00 p.m. Players Party (location to be announced).

Sunday, September 11 east side Frontier Park.

• 9:45 a.m. Players meeting.
• 10:00 a.m. Round 3 Tee off
• (TBA) Awards Ceremony.

The first 90 participants to register will be guaranteed a 21st Annual T-shirt, disc, mini and booklet in the players package.

Hope to see you there!!!

Str8
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 05:18:39 PM »
I played this tourney last year and had a blast. I highly recommend it and hope more KC players make it out this year. The course is excellent. One of my all-time favorites. It winds up and down and back and forth across a small river and has some really interesting shots. If you've never played Frontier Park before you're missing out.

KM
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037

str8

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 01:06:14 AM »
We'd love to see some more players make the trip from KC. Hope you will at least consider it. If you want to read others opinions on this tournament you can visit the forum at http://www.kansasdiscgolf.com.

Str8

str8

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 09:49:55 PM »
For those who haven't played the Frontier in several years, we now have alternate tees and pin placements. You will never have the same look twice.

Also, for those who knew Ron Rice, I'm trying to compile some short stories for the player's booklet. If anyone has any old stories involving Ron, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Str8

str8

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 05:35:25 PM »
The Convention and Visitor's Bureau approved $1,250 in grant funding for the tourney this year. Our Player's package will almost entirely be covered by that. As a result we will have a healthier payout than last year. I don't remember all the numbers, but the winner of the open division won $540.

Also, for those who can't make it this year, but would like to next year, the tourney is always the weekend after Labor Day.

Str8

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 12:12:35 AM »
Sweet!

That $540, despite a fairly small open field last year, was maybe the biggest single KS payout all year.

Frontier park is the bomb.  Hays has one of the best course designs you will see anywhere!

str8

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 12:38:12 AM »
We have confirmations of attendance from Oklahoma, Arkansas, Colorado, Missouri, and Nebraska players. I'll have a ballpark $$ amount by the middle of next week, but I'll give you a status report on Friday. Hope you can make it down.

Str8

str8

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 06:41:32 PM »
Currently we have $975 in sponsorship plus $1,250 in grant money. Hope to have another grand before the end of next week.

Str8

str8

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 10:54:31 PM »
Sponsorship update: $1,275!! Still another solid week to go. I'll keep you updated.

Str8

str8

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 12:06:19 AM »
Anyone coming up for doubles on Friday Night?

Anyone from MO-KA making an appearance?

Str8

"You have to think big to be big"
Headrick

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 01:04:04 PM »
There's four of us from the KCFDC coming. We hope to make it in time for doubles but that will remain to be seen. Leaving town about noon on the 9th

Kevin, CD, Doc and Ed.

Anyone else from KC heading out?

I'm telling you, you need to play Hays!!  This is a great time on a great course.

Where's the player's party this year? Last year was a blast. I remember that girl from Colorado getting hit in the head with a mini that was thrown from across the room. She and her boyfriend were good sports about it. Especially after I bought her a shot of whiskey as compensation.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037

str8

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 02:26:30 PM »
Good deal. Glad some of you are making the trip. Then you can tell everyone what they missed out on.

We have several different Bar and Grill sponsors each year, so I try to distribute the player's party to those establishments equally. This year I'm planning on doing it at the Sip N Spin, but I've been playing phone tag with the owner, so it's not confirmed yet.

Str8

str8

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2005, 06:15:33 PM »
Current cash raised $1,525.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2005, 10:54:27 PM »
With that kind of cash, the open field will not be small this year!  Mace always has sweet plastic of all sorts for the amateur winners.  Is he going to let the winners pick what they want like usual?  That's a huge plus.

str8

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2005, 04:13:24 PM »
Make that $1,875.