Author Topic: My evaluation of the course  (Read 5343 times)

bioatlas

My evaluation of the course
« on: August 11, 2005, 11:53:34 AM »
My wife and I took on this monsterous course last weekend. We played the first 8 holes and found it to be exceptionally challenging. Of course maybe we should not have tried to climb the hills in 95 degree heat on hole 3. We found the park to be a beautiful scenic walk. Since we are both new to the sport we thought it to be a little long per hole and the elevation changes were difficult. After reading other postings on this website I understand that this course is meant to be difficult and I think you have achieved that. I'm not sure that your pars are reasonable but I'm still a beginner. We found it diffucult with the holes being obscured behind obstacles (example hole 1= behind a hill, hole 3 on the downslope of a hill, and hole 4 didn't know for sure were I was aiming towards.) It becames annoying to have to throw short just to find the hole over the next hill because I didn't know were it was. Once again I understand that the course is supposed to be challenging. A suggestion the signs that you placed to mark were the next hole is have faded due to rain and sun. If you possibly try to laminate paper it will probably last longer. Also I don't know how your going to fix this problem but we wouldn't finish the course be cause of drug usage happening at a picnic talbe next to the tee of hole 9. We just avoided the area all together because of this and I could see this being a constant problem. After all that complaining we found the course to be challenging but in some instances fun.

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 05:18:30 PM »
you got it right...the course, as it's currently laid out, is INTENDED to be a challenge to anyone.  Of course, a -7 in the tournament makes me wonder if it's tough enough, or if par is too high...but for me, the challenge is real and overwhelming.  WIll I play it?  Sure.  How better to get better?

The signage was put in place for the City of Fountains Classic, almost a month ago now.  Permanent signage will surely be in place once the course is perfected, tee pads, etc.

Jack said it right--it's a GOLF course.  I don't hear ball golf players whining about Par 5s being too long, or the pins are in long placements on the greens.  Quite often you have to plan your shot in order to have a good next shot.  #1, 3, especially 4 and 8, 9, 10, 15...all have lots of options for placement of shots, and that is crucial to getting a decent score on the hole..for me, that's a bogey on most of them.  I accept that.  I want to change that, though, and that's why I'll play BV as often as I reasonably can.
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

tjringer

Don't lie Eupher!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 08:46:44 AM »
You don't play BV to get better! You play for the awesome scenage and the kick ass drug usage going on by the parks normal patrons!  Personally.. I enjoy the hookers and pimps.. ahh yeah baby!

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 10:31:17 AM »
WRONG.

You play all courses to get better.  If you don't then you are having too much fun.  If you want to improve, you must raise the bar in your game.  I can not hink of a better course in town that would allow that than BV.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

tjringer

CORRECT!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 12:15:37 AM »
Yes.. improving your game and the wonderful scenery.  I still like the hookers and pimps.. ahh yeah baby.. pack my pipe with that good 'ole crack!  Not only does BV allow for improving your game, but your urban survival skills are put to the test.

We should be careful that the military doesn't catch on and start to use Blue Valley as a boot camp facility!

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 12:35:40 AM »
how would you know what it's like out there, TJ?  
 :wink:
Bluebird ROCKS!

tjringer

because...
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 08:48:59 AM »
Because I've played there in years past and every once in a while I drive through looking for a hooker while pretending to look at the new course setup!  That's how I know!

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 10:04:20 AM »
"Because I've played there in years past"

For general information, there has only been a permanent course there for less than a year, during which time there has been considerable improvements made, including the installation of an excellent playground.

I play the 9 hole junior course at BV on a weekly basis, often with my 3 year old daughter,  and have yet to see any hookers, or be offered any crack.  Your criticisms of the course (that you never play) are not helping.  People, Other than the usual 5 posters, read these forums looking for info. about local courses,  and may avoid the course based on your uninformed comments.  

Is the course in a low income neighborhood?- yes.  Is it a safe place to play discgolf? - Yes.  

Anyone who would feel comfortable at Swope (where,last week, I actually did see someone smoking crack  on the course) should have no problem at BV.

-Sean

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 11:04:28 AM »
Sean statemant rings very true. Like I have said before this really is a great course. I have never had any problems there. That doesn't mean there aren't things to watch out for, but it shouldn't keep anyone away from this course. The Neighborhood Association along with the KC Police are behind us 100% and actually want us (DISC GOLFERS) there. If you have any problems dial 911, as I can atteast to they will be over the sky in minutes. I was playing a round with Jack, some idiot was driving umm what we thought was a stolen car, Jack called the police and less then 5 minutes later the ghetto bird was over our heads. Kinda made me feel safer in a sick sense. You have to actually play the course to see the beauity and potential. So if you haven't played yet come on out. The tee areas are getting closer to being done ( I believe concrete is the next step). The Junior's 9 is getting some changes in landscape. The course is always looking different each time I pass through.
Mike Penney

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 01:36:50 PM »
The pads for the long course are going to be awesome...I had a bit of problem on 5 this morning, but that hole won't be there long...

47 for 10 holes is not bad for me.  I played Calitaire---solo Cali, one mulligan per holed---but actually only used one of my Cali shots.  

It looks like some of the alternate holes are close to reality, I wonder how long until the "short" long course is ready?

Oh, can a map of the championship course be reposted somewhere?  I know, things are changing, but it would help some who aren't as familiar with it as some of us are.  

Dan and Jim, Thanks!!!!

steve
Bluebird ROCKS!

tjringer

Once again...
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 12:18:27 AM »
The course may have only recently become permanent, but for three years, (at least), past there have been 1-2 events there a year plus the occasional homey round.  My "criticism" of the course has been geared towards humor and filled with helpful hints about surving the urban jungle in which Blue Valley resides.

Now, had there been warnings like : Attention, very little to no shade, very strenous activity, take sun block and lots of water.. avoid the locals, lock your car.. etc., etc., then I wouldn't of had to bring these issues up would I?

Instead everybody is blowing sunshine out of their asses about how classy and great the course is with little to no other useful information.  The fact is that park is in a highly run down, crime ridden area.  It is full of some seedy characters and other urban dangers!

The course is wonderful.  The land is wonderful.  But there are other issues that should be disclosed as well as how great the course is and will be.  Listing the pros with out the cons is highly irresponsible.  I am not sorry that I had to play devil's advocate as it had to be done.

Shall we continue to beat the dead dog with the proverbial stick or shall we move on?

bioatlas

didn't mean to stir things up
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 07:43:37 AM »
The purpose of my first posting was to give a general opinion of the BV course. I understand that the creators of BV do not want it to be given a bad name but I only reported the facts of BV. As for TJ I found it his comments humerous but I'm not qouting him on the activities of BV. I also don't think you can compare BV to Swope with its illegal activities. Yes Swope has it's problems also but becasue of the course layout it limits the areas were something dangerous could happen to a golfer. Because of BV's wide spread  landscape it automatically increase the possibilities and ability of problems to happen. Now to end on a complement. The couse is challenging and the park you chose to put it in is a beautiful park.

Leo D.

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 07:49:00 AM »
Every new course is going to have its share of "problems".
I personally really like the Blue Valley course. Played it for the first time at the City Of Fountains tourny. The course is beautiful with alot of unique shots, and yes, its a golf course, not a pitch and putt. So positioning off the tee is critical. My only complaint would be the tee pads. Its hard to position yourself off tees like EXAMPLE-Hole 9. But with that being said, you  have to expect that from a new course. I say keep up the good work KC, keep pumping out quality golf courses, no matter where they are!!!
iscraft Golf Discs

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 08:33:27 AM »
Well I have lived in this hood my whole live 27 years and have not been beaten rapped  cracked
or any of that other crap people say about it. :roll:  If you want to go out early most of the crackheads
and hookers are sleeping steal.  The park is not that bad.  And I was raised keep to your self
and no body will bother you. That is what I did in high school one of the worst in KC Central High School.  
I made it out alive... 8)
Home #: 816-308-1000
E-mail: tkienzle22@yahoo.com KCFDC:759
TEK II        :^)

Dirk

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 11:11:36 AM »
I think BV is going to be KC's most famous course.

The best thing is to keep your cool with the locals, even if they're being rude or whatever. Once the people who actaully live on the course get used to seeing us out there helping clean the park up we will be more accepted.

If you have an issue don't hesitate to call 911, the cops are our friends there.

Otherwise enjoy a beautiful course and be friendly with the locals.