Author Topic: Tee Pad Progress May 2009  (Read 4620 times)

Keizer

Re: Tee Pad Progress May 2009
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 09:35:14 AM »
"...we have concrete. Start pouring!"  :-\

They have the concrete, and we start pouring? They have the concrete, and they are gonna start pouring? They have the concrete, but don't really feel like putting it in, so they hope it starts pouring?

What does it all mean, man?

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2009, 10:06:12 AM »
it was addressed to me and to the personell in his department.  I would imagine that they will work on it this week and next.  He was very surprised to learn that the Purchase Order had been cancelled, and that was the hold up.

He acted quickly and swiftly to move forward with the green light after he found the issue (tuesday) and sent the note out last night.

On another note all you concrete reading internet types......I have a couple of issues that I am hopeful you may be able to help.

1) Staining the concrete.  They would like to have the pads stained to match the color scheme of the natural stone throughout the park.  What have you done, and what works and doesn't work in your experience?  Looking for actual hands on experience here if possible.

2) Benches form needed.  I was thinking of building more like a "rock wall" (think Water Works walls) at each hole as a bench instead of the benches that we have been using.  Utilizing the rocks within the area for the most part, but then getting some type of similar rock that is already cut to be level at the top.  Anyone done anything like that?  I think that it might look more in line with the course aesthetics.

The tee signs will be positioned on large boulders from the park that will be behind the pads, and then slightly at an angle.  I have not heard about anyone donating trash cans yet, but we will need to work on that, as well as something to secure them appropriately.

Also Drew went out yesterday and started to clean up around the the reservoir.  This is GREAT.  I only ask that we work on #11 long and #16.  If we tackle the reservoir and start to expose the wrought iron, trust me the entire community is going to love us even more.  If we get all the exterior side of it, then I will work with the P&R at attacking the interior of the fence.

Cliff Drive is coming along nicely.  Please help out by spreading the word if you like the course, and letting me know if there is something you don't like (besides the open holes being to open.....)
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Keizer

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 10:16:40 AM »
Jack, please have Drew get ahold of me if you know he's heading out there. No sense in him doing that all by himself.

The Samurai

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2009, 01:55:14 PM »
Cliff looks amzing!!! Just played it today.  Would have loved to come out and help this weekend, but I have been in rehearsal for over a week:

http://www.kansascity.com/238/story/1255953.html

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2009, 02:59:14 PM »
1) Staining the concrete.  They would like to have the pads stained to match the color scheme of the natural stone throughout the park.  What have you done, and what works and doesn't work in your experience?  Looking for actual hands on experience here if possible.

Mixing in the stain/dye to the concrete is the preferred method...that way there is no wear and tear because the concrete is the same color all throughout the mix. Top staining concrete tends to wear and need to be touched up from time to time.

We could work directly with the concrete company...basically he would pour a predetermined amount of dye in the truck as he mixes the load.  As long as he keeps the ratio the same, you end up with a perfect match from pad to pad. Some colors seem to fade more then others but the natural color should work just fine.

The stuff I have used came in a quart bottle...would need to see the color to come up with the correct ratio.

Dan  8)
For a good time: Lat- 3925'8.92"N, Long- 9433'18.52"W

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2009, 03:02:26 PM »
sounds like this is what they plan on doing as well is mixing it.  Man I want this done BADLY.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2009, 09:57:12 PM »
jack

i sent you an email.  call me when u can.  doesnt matter what time of day.

drew
Drew D Neitzel

Keizer

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2009, 09:15:48 AM »
Drew, call me. I have some info for you. My number is 816-590-8925.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2009, 08:56:40 AM »
I got a call from the P&R about them starting to pour 10 pads on Tuesday, and to finish the remainder over the week.  I am very hopeful that this happens, looks like no rain is in the forecast either.  Should be a good week.  Once the pads are in, I'll work on getting the rocks in for tee signs, we will not have a marquee up before world's, but the course should be pretty visible for most people playing.

THanks,

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Keizer

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2009, 09:17:09 AM »
Cool, so where are the tee sign rocks coming from? I could probably pick them up and drop them at the holes if you've got a source in mind.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2009, 09:33:38 AM »
I want to try and harvest them from the park.  THe road around 3 (think climbers side) had a landslide a few years back, and there are quite a few big rocks there if we can get those out, it helps the park and helps us as well.

I don't even like posting information about this right now, I am so scared it won't happen.....but getting a call Saturday morning from Lou, and then you following up saying there working on it Saturday as well....welll........thinking it might be here now.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Keizer

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2009, 09:50:49 AM »
They were acting as if they were really on the ball with this thing when I talked to them on Saturday. I know whatchya mean about not posting it here and getting everyone's hopes up... :D

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2009, 10:19:08 AM »
Cool, so where are the tee sign rocks coming from? I could probably pick them up and drop them at the holes if you've got a source in mind.

I would think the size of rocks needed to do this right would take a winch/boom truck and a couple of guys wrapping the rocks with a chain to pick them up and move where you want them. A rock small enough for even two or three guys to pick up and put in a truck would be too small to mount a tee sign to wouldn't it?
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Keizer

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2009, 10:24:13 AM »
Yeah, we want the big ones. Since we are getting them from inside the park, it's going to be a lot harder than I thought. Probably have to set something up like you described, Kevin.

Keizer

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2009, 12:16:25 PM »
They (P&R) are working on the rest of the gravel today, so it looks like every hole is 100% ready for the pour except for #1. I'm really beginning to wish we had opted for the other proposed location for #1, slightly to the left, closer to the road, and with more of a level surface that wouldn't have required as much shoring up. Would have made everything so much easier and provided more room for #10's green.

Of course, we could still do it if we wanted to, we'd just have to cut a few trees down in the ravine. Just a few trees...