Author Topic: Shawnee League - Next week.  (Read 614 times)

Loomis

Shawnee League - Next week.
« on: May 20, 2009, 07:52:14 PM »
1. As mentioned in the pre-game announcements; I have discovered an award "worthy" of the weekly winner. Come out and see if you can be the first to take home the League Trophy.

2. To let people prep for the KC Wide Open, the course will play as is. Original pad placements. No Mandos.

3. They just mowed again today - they even mowed the path to ALT #6!! 

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Shawnee League - Next week.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 10:44:35 AM »
Thanks again Loomis.  I am going to try and make it out there next week.  We are working on an alternate location for #6.  Dirk met with the P&R about that and moving in some earth on #3 to push it back further.  The parks department is really getting behind this project, and I expect as we move forward many people will be happier overall with the changes that you are probably not aware of.

Its not that we don't want to share, but it takes time, and effort and energy, and it also takes limited vision to make these work.  Course it takes a village to build it though!!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Loomis

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 11:13:35 AM »
I look forward to you coming out. I know people who know people that can put us on the same card; that way we can talk landscaping and course development when the urge arises.

Dirk and I talked about his vision for the park and I liked what he had to say. I am not trying to discourage those changes, or implement my own, I just wanted to make "league" play open to options. I'm hoping that will encourage attendance. This week the course will be the same, but I would like to work with different "views" on the course to see what works.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 11:51:26 AM »
Pretty much stuck to the plan. Played Shawnee Mission on Monday morning. Not a bad course; better than I expected. The holes made pretty good use of the sparse trees out there. Loved hole 7. I think the tee recently moved on this one making it shorter, so I never played the longer version, which was probably a legit par 3.5 or 4. What I liked about this hole was how the low hanging trees on the right side of the green blocked all but the perfectly executed low skip shots. You had to go around to the left. The fairway on the high side, which was harder to hit, was the sweet spot of the fairway and rewarded the player with a much easier 2nd shot. Also liked 9 & 12 & a few others. I don't think all the shots are the same out there, but there are many types of holes that weren't used. No dog legs, no par 4's (9 was close, at least par 3.5), not many high route shots. Perhaps more rough in play and pins closer to the trees/ rough areas would have given the course less of the open feel. Overall pretty enjoyable; loved the rolling hills and scenic feel to the park. The worst thing about the course was easily the tees. Muddy on a slope: every single ones of these was a big safety hazard. You couldn't throw on them without seriously risking a fall. Concrete would be very nice, but even some gravel would help tons.
\

These were my first impressions of the course.  I've only played it once and didn't take time to really consider different design options.

Sounds like some changes before pads?  (Pads will be NICE!) Will this be a 1 pad, 1 pin course.  Or maybe 2 or more pins in the future?  If so, you'd want to place pads where they would work for future planned placements.  My best feedback would be to use the trees as much as possible.  The course plays with a few too many holes the same length.  A few are a little too long for bird and not long enough for bogey, which is parish, and can be boring.    A few shorter and a few more yet longer would be great variety.  Throw some tweaners in there (par 2.5, 3.5).  Is there room for any par 4's?

Just some thoughts.  I know you guys have done a killer job getting that course in such a nice park.  The place is amazing.  Traffic will pick up when the tees go in.

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 09:33:01 PM »
OK folks I'm not going to get into the back and forth about Park Rangers checking bags, or the improvements needed to the course, I'm just going to stick to my impression of the course when I played it today.

In a word; very, very cool (I know that was three)
Here's what I mean.... the P&R has mowed the course so that each hole, fairway to green is very defined. It's fairly tight down of the fairways with larger landing areas around the pin. The non-mowed areas are about thigh high and the mowed areas are groomed to about 5 inches.

Can't explain it any better than that, get out there and play it now, just keep it in the fairway and the ticks will leave you alone!

PS - love the new tee on 6!
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.