Author Topic: Chronology of Kansas disc golf courses  (Read 1777 times)

str8

Chronology of Kansas disc golf courses
« on: August 19, 2005, 01:20:04 AM »
Greetings,

I've started this topic many times on other forums, but with your input, we'll get it done.

Here's what I have based on my research, some friends and the 2003 course directory.

- Topeka, Crestview Park. Nine holes designed by high school students. Later redesigned for 18. I'd like to know a name if anyone knows.

- Lindsborg, Lindsborg Football Field. Nine holes designed collaboratively with ? and Ed Headrick. Anyone know who else helped? BTW this course is no more, correct?

-Wakeeney, Boy Scout Park. Designed by Paul Wildeman. Installed in the spring to summer months. BTW this course is no more.

- Hays, Frontier Park. Designed by Ron Rice and Co. installed Sept. of 1983. To the best of my knowledge, it is the last remaining original course.

Kansas City, Rosedale Park. I don't know who designed it or the time of the year it was intstalled. Any educated guesses?

Winfield, Cherry Street Park. I'm guessing Harvey had something to do with this one, but not for sure. Ask Harv what time of year it was intstalled.

Valley Center, Flying Bee Country Club. It has Bill Paulson listed as a contact, so if anyone talks to him occasionally ask him what time of year it was installed and who desinged it.

1989 - (Myers remembers playing Beloit in 89, says established 95 in CD)

Wichita, Herman Hill. Anyone no who designed it or when it was installed?

Manhattan, KSU Campus. Do they still play this course? Again, a designer and time installed.

Hays, Rolling Hills. I know all on this one.

Winfield, Southwestern College. Need a course designer and time installed.

1991 (Herington was in DGWN in 91, but no date cited in CD)

Emporia, Jones Youth. Need a designer and time of year installed.

Lawrence, Centennial Park. Need a designer and time of year installed.

McPherson, Lakeside. Need a designer and time installed.

Stockton, Stockton City Park. Need a designer and time installed.

Topeka, Lake Shawnee. Need a designer and time installed.

Beloit, Chataqua Park. Need a designer and evolution of park. Date in the CD is probably wrong.

Colby, Villa High Park. I'd guess Kyle had something to do with this?

Kansas City, Rosedale Down Under. Need a designer and time installed.

Fort Scott, Gunn Park. Need a designer and time installed.

Manhattan, Cico Park. Need a designer and time installed.

Manhattan, Tuttle Creek. Need a designer ant time intstalled.

Pratt, May Dennis Park. Need a designer and time installed.

Ransom, Grissel Park. Smitty, I'm sure you know the exacts.

Wamego, Pennyland Park. Need designer and time installed

Hutchinson, Carey Park. Was this Macedad?

Newton, Camp Hawk. Designers and time installed.

Norton, Elmwood Park. Is this right Don? Or is the date wrong on this one too? I know Ron helped, but was there anyone else? How bout the time of year?

Colwich, Cowskin DG Park. Need a designer and time installed.

Great Bend, Windy Hill. Heard rumors Harv contributed to this one. Need t confirm designer and date of birth.

KC Wyandotte, County Park. Need designer and DOB.

Ellis, Sky View Park. Pretty sure Kevin Rorabaugh designed it, and I can get a hold of him I think. The new 9 holes were installed in July of 2004.

Olathe, California Trail. Need a designer and a DOB.

Topeka, Rice Park. Need a designer and a DOB.

Wichita, Riverlawn Christian Church. Need a designer and DOB.

Also, I realize Dodge City, Emporia's East side, and Hoisington aren't listed. Are there any other courses I missed? Now, if anyone knows of dates that are incorrect, please post it. Talk to golfers in your community and try to figure out who helped design courses and what time of the year they were installed. I figure it will be easier to do it by seasons if months aren't remembered.

If you know anything about any of these courses please post it.

I need your help yall.

Str8

There's an older thread on http://www.kansasdiscgolf.com

str8

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 01:39:19 AM »
Does anyone have a Spring 1991 Disc Golf World News? There's an article from Gregg Hosfeld called Hosfeld's Front and Back Nine. Hays and Herrington are listed in the article with some classic pictures. I'd love to have an electronic copy of the article.

Thanks,
Str8

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 06:39:27 AM »
Olathe CA Trail--call the school and ask for Dave Youker.  He designed it with someone he doesn't remember the name of (a vague description mentioned a somewhat quirky personality....duh!) 913-780-7220

Wichita church course...call the church office
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 08:37:49 AM »
WyCo design credit should probably just go to the KCFDC. But the primary designers were, Mike L. Wesley, Jack Carmack, and Kevin Montgomery. Lots of input from others was used though including the thoughts and ramblings of one Dr. Ace Mason. Many individual holes have individual credits.

I don't recall the exact date the baskets were planted but 2001 is correct.

Someone should pop in with more info on Prairie Center. I know Tom Butler was instrumental with this one. Tom, details?
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Prarie Center-Olathe
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 03:25:34 PM »
In 1990 the Prairie Center Disc Golf course was planted. Ned Smethers was the designer and main driving force. He had help from various KCFDC members. Some people that helped were Ace Mason, Mike Mannering, and Mikey Edsted. Tom Butler came along in late 1991 and in 1992 Tom hand built and installed 18 matching double chain assemblies, and formed and poured 9 new tee pads. The baskets were later sold off and the funds used to help purchase our current baskets. The City of Olathe between 1990 and 1993 planted approximately 200 trees on the course, many of them per Ned and Tom's direction. Sometime after 1994, Ed Gonzales and the KCFDC redesigned the course and moved many of the tee pads and pin locations around. In 2005 Bob Hayett, Tom Butler, Bryan Guthrie, Andy Lewis, Dean Uhlman, Brad Meyrs, Rick Rothstein, Dan Forster, and the KCFDC redesigned holes 12 thru 16 and added a new long pad on hole 2.
In the Spring of 2005, Crazy John Brooks, who hadn't played Prairie Center in a long while, came to one of our Monday night leagues, and said "I haven't been here in a long time, but,  the tress have grown so well and the park is beautiful, in fact, it is heaven".

I've thought that for 15 years now.

I hope this brief history helps.
peace

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Parsons and Pittsburg and Ft.Scott
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 03:28:26 PM »
The course in Parsons has been there a long time. I believe it was put in as a memorial to a deceased love one. Pittsburg hasn't been in that long, but it is there. Ft. Scott has been in a while. Buckles friend, Danny had a lot to do with that one.

str8

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 12:33:51 AM »
Thanks for the help!!!

There's always been a discrepancy whether it was Lindsborg or Crestview first. Anyone know the truth? I've also heard urban legends about a course at Cedar Bluff Lake, and grassroot object courses never planted.

Headrick was a genius, I never met him, I'd like to hear some stories about "Steady Ed," too. Ron Rice was my guru from a distance. Too bad he got burned. I always wonder what happened?

Str8

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 09:51:55 AM »
hosedale went in the ground may 15, 1985 after a year or so of planning. ace mason, who was only a med student in his own mind at the time, was the driving force behind both picking the park and designing the course.
as posted earlier many of the longer settings that are there today were there 20 years ago. most notable is number 17 at the top of the hill. recent discussions by those who know came up with only 2 deuces on the long (original) placement, both were considered field aces.
the first wide open held at rosie was the third annual, the first two were temporary setups in shawnee mission park in 83 and waterworks in 84. as a side note the basis design of ww was done by mark bracewell in 84. anyone who needs proof contact the geazinier pp institute and we'll show you the map used.
bruce hudson of topeka recently told me that bill gordon is playing again. bill was a powerhouse player back in the 70's and early 80's. he held the indoor mta world record and was the one who educated loco juan on the finer points of exceeding 100 meters with a 40 mold. all i'm going on and on about is hook up with bill, he knows crestview and ne kansas frisbee.

respectfully submitted
good luck with your research
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

Dirk

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 10:58:47 AM »
I heard that Swope was the first basket course in KC and one of the first basket courses in the country, according to BCarduff. Can anyone elaborate?