Poll

Cut the grass!

Play
6 (75%)
Or not to play....
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: June 23, 2009, 12:10:35 PM

Author Topic: Stay Away  (Read 2248 times)

jbirdsmitty

Stay Away
« on: June 22, 2009, 11:45:47 AM »
3 of us played Legacy yesterday and lost 3 disc between us! The (US Open width) fairway grass was cut about to our ankles and the rough was above our knees. Legacy maintains hundreds of acres of grass and could do a MUCH BETTER job on this course! I did ace #16 so I'm glad I stayed but we wont be back until winter. Bring extra disc if you choose to play here.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Stay Away
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 03:55:41 PM »
legacy is about being accurate.  play with a spotter if you're having trouble losing discs.

it's definitely a difficult course if you're spraying throws all over.

i have had ongoing communications with the city about this, and i hope they're listening.  this course was supposed to be designed for the recreational player in mind, and it definitely doesn't play like that.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 04:33:17 PM »
Brian,

One of the items that should be addressed, and I can help is that this course is going to be one of a few courses open to play during the worlds.  We would hope that they would want to have the course almost looking the best it ever has as the foot traffic is going to be directed to Legacy for people to play on.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 04:45:31 PM »
I can't blame them for not constantly tweaking the course with a golfer's mentality but the land is so rough my family and I don't even use it.  I've hiked mountain trails that were more family friendly. 

I'm sure they'll eventually spend more time on the course but i've sent the parks and rec a letter pleading with them to not only mow more area but to give the golf course as much attention to detail as they do all the other parks in Lees Summit and I encourage any other Lees Summit resident to do the same.  You can even contact them via their website, http://cityofls.net/Parks/Submenu/Contact-Us.aspx

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 08:45:40 AM »
Great post Will! 

The more people that react to the note and take action, the more probable it is that action will happen.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil folks!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 10:33:41 AM »
ls parks and rec contacted me this morning and stated there were many complaints/concerns about the tall grass at the course.  A gentleman named Scott Anderson called me directly and I think that speaks volumes about these folks and their desire to please the taxpayers.  So please share your concerns on the above link!  they actually read them and reply.  But I spoke to him as a dad who wants to take his kids to the local park to play frisbee golf, not a seasoned golfer that thinks they're running their golf course poorly.  They're definitely going to put the city before the kc disc golf scene.

We talked about the ticks and how it wouldn't be unreasonable to only mow the course 2-3 times a month if they did in fact mow the entire course.  He stated the fairways are scheduled to be mowed every 3 weeks but that he'll continue to send requests to mow the entire park to the committee in charge. 

thanks again to palmer for being that squeaky wheel and keeping in touch with the city. 

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 11:10:31 AM »
every three weeks is really not good.  we are in a 14 day cycle with the city in KC MO, and it really is barely enough (Cliff is being mowed today again BTW), but that may be all that they have budgetted right now.  I will try to work with Palmer to ensure some solid mowing right before the worlds, as we let them know that the course will be the busiest course for all of Kansas City that wants to play disc golf to go to.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

matty

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 11:06:38 PM »
i visited with the cat who was mowing the course the 2nd time it was ever mowed.
he was changing his 3rd flat tire and didn't seem to upset, but i'm sure he had an awful time.
i think 14 needs to be mowed to the creek bed and you gotta spot 7 the entire course would be a lot to cut.

palmer are we gonna do league again?
putt, putt, give.

jbirdsmitty

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 12:21:37 PM »
phisherman_77, After 7 holes and 2 lost discs we did use a spotter. After that we lost one disc. Playing everything as par 3 and counting every shot (including penaltys) our scores were +3, +4 and DNF. It doesnt take "spraying throws all over" to lose discs at Legacy. With a bigger group it could still be fun. Good to see other post on here!

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 01:38:26 PM »
phisherman_77, After 7 holes and 2 lost discs we did use a spotter. After that we lost one disc. Playing everything as par 3 and counting every shot (including penaltys) our scores were +3, +4 and DNF. It doesnt take "spraying throws all over" to lose discs at Legacy. With a bigger group it could still be fun. Good to see other post on here!

when i say "spraying throws all over", i'm not referring to you, geez...settle down.

the simple fact is, and i've shared this with LS Parks and Rec, is that on some of the long holes, if i throw a boom boom drive and land on the farthest right side of the fairway, the discs will still skip through the fairway and end up in the long grass.

the hardest thing to get through to the city is that the discs don't fly perfectly straight and come straight down upon landing, unless you're throwing rocs or putters on every shot.  fast discs just skip; i think i want to give some of their guys a shiny new teebird and tell them to have fun keeping it in the fairway :)

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 01:40:25 PM »
palmer are we gonna do league again?

due to my new job situation, i'm really not available on a weekly basis to run leagues anymore.  hays, you're more than welcome to run them if you can.

maybe we can get dan coffman to take it over sometimes as well.  i have no issues running it when i can and as long as people actually show up.

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 03:20:29 PM »
I can't blame them for not constantly tweaking the course with a golfer's mentality but the land is so rough my family and I don't even use it.  I've hiked mountain trails that were more family friendly.

Will, your post here is the exact reason why you have to commend Blue Springs P&R for grading out and discing up the whole course.  Of course lots of land will not be dug up, but they want the course to be family friendly.  Mowing seems to be the biggest issue we face in the warmer seasons.  Mowing is always going to be an issue with the parks, however, uneven, ankle breaking land is never fun.   

If the ivy ever gets under control at Young Park in the future, you will be able to enjoy the multiple pads  and smooth ground of  Young Park. However, i do foresee many ticks since it is very wooded and wet out there. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 04:18:06 PM by Nivek9 »

garlichbread

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 10:08:43 AM »
I haven't been out to the course lately. Have they mowed in the past few weeks?

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 10:10:19 AM »
I will take a look tonight. 

dclabe

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 10:35:53 AM »
Stopped by Sunday, looking to play with the kids and they had mowed some....saw a few people "playing" but mostly looking for disc.  The fairways are still too narrow and the rough is over 3' tall.  We cruised on to Swope.