Author Topic: Blue Valley World's Layout  (Read 5686 times)

The Can tankerous A.N.G

• Pro Poster
  • Don't look now!
    • View Profile
Blue Valley World's Layout
« on: July 07, 2009, 08:59:43 PM »
Can't wait to play BV! How will it specifically (Ninja asked) be set up for Tuesday? Thanks for info!

Keizer

Re: Blue Valley World's Layout
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 08:50:52 AM »
Probably the least-talked-about course as far as preparations for Worlds goes. I too am curious as to what the layout will be. Drove through there the other day, saw #18 on its long setting, kept right on driving to Cliff... :D

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 09:37:43 AM »
#7 (the hole before you cross back across the street) is in the super stupid long position past the tree line and up the hill.  Caleb and Matt Taylor played out there the day before I moved, and said everything was long.

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 09:39:43 AM »
#7 (the hole before you cross back across the street) is in the super stupid long position past the tree line and up the hill.  Caleb and Matt Taylor played out there the day before I moved, and said everything was long.

but that's a great hole.

Keizer

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 09:58:24 AM »
Yeah, the downhill holes like #7 I can handle, it's the damned uphill holes like #3 that make me wish I had chosen a different course to play. :o

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 10:11:26 AM »
#7 (the hole before you cross back across the street) is in the super stupid long position past the tree line and up the hill. 

That actually makes that hole much much better, and not just a boring 3 for most, with an occassional 2, but in that location, getting a 3 is AWESOME, getting a 4 is picking up a stroke on the field, and 5 is saving face.

Stupid hole.....yeah that's not one of them out there, that is all about placement and control.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 12:49:07 PM »
What I'm wondering about is what the layout will be for the finals.  ???

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 01:04:04 PM »
hole 1,2,3 on the big course, then coming back across the pond to the executive course, finishing up on #8's pad throwing to the practice basket on the triangle island.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 01:37:18 PM »
#7 (the hole before you cross back across the street) is in the super stupid long position past the tree line and up the hill. 

That actually makes that hole much much better, and not just a boring 3 for most, with an occassional 2, but in that location, getting a 3 is AWESOME, getting a 4 is picking up a stroke on the field, and 5 is saving face.

Stupid hole.....yeah that's not one of them out there, that is all about placement and control.

Stupid was the incorrect term. 
super stupid long = very long .
I do enjoy that shot quite a bit; lots of scoring differential.

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 05:06:55 PM »
So, if the course is set entirely long, then official pro-level par would be...(?)
hole 11 is a par 3 for sure.  most pros will be looking for a two there.
holes 10, 12, 14 are all par 3s.  they will get some reasonable jump puts for two.
hole 9 is no more than a par 4.  it will give up some threes.
18 is the biggest "tweener".  it will also give up some threes but i'll be nice and give you five.
holes 4 and 8 are possible tweeners but they will get some long jump puts for two.

i say par 64 is the most accurate.  65 is the highest i'll buy.  65 is probably 970 golf with wind < 15 mph.
Drew D Neitzel

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 05:23:26 PM »
Doubtful.  That course maxed out will have a SSA near 65 on a consistent basis.

http://www.pdga.com/course-ratings-by-course?RatingCourseID=3084

The 2007 WO was played on a relatively wind-free day.  Those lower SSA's were on a much shorter version of the course.  There are too many strokes on that course to have an a 970 rated round near 65.  That would make SSA in the 50's, which has been shot on the long course in tournament play a total of 3 times (Marcus, Nate, and Ron Covers).

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »
So, if the course is set entirely long, then official pro-level par would be...(?)
hole 11 is a par 3 for sure.  most pros will be looking for a two there.
holes 10, 12, 14 are all par 3s.  they will get some reasonable jump puts for two.
hole 9 is no more than a par 4.  it will give up some threes.
18 is the biggest "tweener".  it will also give up some threes but i'll be nice and give you five.
holes 4 and 8 are possible tweeners but they will get some long jump puts for two.

i say par 64 is the most accurate.  65 is the highest i'll buy.  65 is probably 970 golf with wind < 15 mph.

I'll agree with you on 10 and 14.  12 I could go either way on.  I feel that .  As for hole 4, 8, and 11; there's nothing wrong with an eagle for a spectacular shot, which is what's required to make 2 on any of those.  You'll see plenty of 4's on those guys, especially #4 and #11.  Hole #9 is another where 2 spectacular shots will land you a chance at eagle, but the dogleg provides plenty of trouble to get into.

Our sport seems to have trouble accepting eagles for fantastic shots, and I've never understood that.

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 11:48:18 PM »
our sport also has a history for awarding a "birdie" for a two with no fantastic shots.
i have no problem awarding an eagle for two long fantastic shots and a big putt i.e 7 and 18 long.
the scores will get lower at this course as well as cliff as they get more study by use.
9 is a homework hole.  its a solid 4 but a five is a bogey. (why does our sport have trouble accepting 1000 rated golfers can make bogeys and not have to shoot 12 down to compete?)
11 is no different than 1 at ww.  its all about nose control.  with today's disc technology its reachable without throwing 450'.  its another homework hole.  you have to know where you can miss the tee shot.  a four on 11 is a bogey.
Drew D Neitzel

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 07:33:33 AM »
you guys are so cute with your knowledge and guestamations. 

Also I bet hole 9 gives up maybe 2 3's.  It's a tweener par 4.  Every hole out there is a tweener actually.  one way or another.  Some holes need to be shorter and some need to be longer.  There is just not a great golf hole out there.  Notice that no one plays there?  anyone?  Is it the length?  nope.  it's the design.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 08:23:58 AM »
could not disagree more dick, there are a ton of great golf holes out there.  i cant decide if this or cliff is the best course in town.  it doesnt get much use because its not for ams, it doesnt get mowed enough, and its a long round.  mental concentration for placement golf on top of the length and the hills wears my fat a$$ out.....but that doesnt mean its not a top notch pro course that will actually test my game.  how about a round to discuss it hole by hole, shot by shot?
Drew D Neitzel