Author Topic: Things to do at Swope before Worlds  (Read 4326 times)

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
Things to do at Swope before Worlds
« on: July 08, 2009, 02:06:42 PM »
This is the short list of things to do at Swope before worlds.  I'll be updating this list as things get done.  Feel free to take some initiate and lend a hand!

Move Pins Just need to move #13
Lay Rope along #13 to the left (or paint, whatever you think we need to do) Rope has been straightened, will use paint for the remainder of the OB line
Clean up the green of #13 and put out mulch area trimmed up, called Dan about having P&R move the mulch there
Trim front and back OBs
Paint OB lines
Flags #8 and #17 are red, while the others are yellow.  Need matching set.
Basket on #8 needs re-welded Got off the phone with Dan Cashen, said he'd look into it
Slightly re-level pins on #2, #12, and #15
Tighten bolts on practice baskets and #8 long
Pick up trash!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 01:27:40 PM by Furthur »

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
Re: Things to do at Swope before Worlds
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 03:11:04 PM »
#13 will be the Short pad to the long left pin.  While the long pad is a greater challenge, we do have spotting/time of play concerns with that particular pad.

Rope is run on the left side, and spray paint will be used on the right.  Maybe will use pain all the way around; we'll see how that works out this weekend.

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 07:35:16 AM »
#13 will be the Short pad to the long left pin.  While the long pad is a greater challenge, we do have spotting/time of play concerns with that particular pad.

Rope is run on the left side, and spray paint will be used on the right.  Maybe will use pain all the way around; we'll see how that works out this weekend.

Why paint an OB on the right? The cliff behind the basket punishes errant drives to the right enough. If a drive is out to the right the player has to be careful on the approach not to go past the basket.  ::)

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 09:49:50 AM »

Why paint an OB on the right? The cliff behind the basket punishes errant drives to the right enough. If a drive is out to the right the player has to be careful on the approach not to go past the basket.  ::)

I think he may be talking about along the road Tom.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 10:44:20 AM »
I like the short pad to the long pin. Does it really need OB on the left side as well as the right? That hillside is pretty brutal. No complaints, though.

That's why we need OB over there.  We don't really want people going down that hill and playing from there.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 11:42:25 AM »
John, there's a rope on the left, but at some point, the OB ends on the left.  At what point is that, and how should I mark that?  With rope?

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 12:06:51 PM »
John, there's a rope on the left, but at some point, the OB ends on the left.  At what point is that, and how should I mark that?  With rope?

Paint's fine, and we typically have painted a line into the woods past where we think anyone could throw.

The rope's fine, but it probably needs some attention....it was pulled up and breoken in a couple of spots if memory serves.
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 12:12:30 PM »

I think that if the rope running along the hillside ends, how does one know if their shot reached it IN-BOUNDS but didn't hyzer, kick a tree, or otherwise roll back short of the end of it? If the rope ends going towards the hole, we should run it 90° down the hill maybe 100ft to cordon off the entire AREA, and have a spotter positioned there.
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002

"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

"Be an Organ Donor"

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 02:21:59 PM »
CD, there used to be a rope that ran into the woods like that.  What I wanted to know was how close to the green to begin this 90 degree turn.  100 ft?  That would be 425' to get to the OB "corner." from the tee.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 02:38:56 PM »
I was informed today by the P&R that the "OB"'s are not to be trimmed...so it saves some time....we will probably need to have drop zones if we want to avoid people throwing from it, or they said that its ok to go in there and throw from there, but that they put down native seedlings in the area and have asked to let it be based on the new work done out there.

I don't like it, I think it looks messy, but they said that other creatures in the park use it besides disc golfers......oh well, we are squatting on their land, and if thats what they want....so be it.

On the OB into the woods, if we can get a cone or something up there to indicate where it ends, that should be fine.  Maybe blast it with signage.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 03:41:08 PM »
Jack, that sounds good.  Perhaps we can do the following with the "OB":

1.  Trim up the grass on the inbounds side of the OB.  The P&R don't really mow it close enough.
2.  Wrap the OB with rope
3.  Play it as a BUNCR with a drop zone.

I'm about to call John and see what he thinks about the BUNCR idea.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 03:49:03 PM »
I suggested that, or just playing as is.  John will decide and let us all know!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 04:46:13 PM »
Jack, that sounds good.  Perhaps we can do the following with the "OB":

1.  Trim up the grass on the inbounds side of the OB.  The P&R don't really mow it close enough.
2.  Wrap the OB with rope
3.  Play it as a BUNCR with a drop zone.

I'm about to call John and see what he thinks about the BUNCR idea.
may I suggest just setting them up as "ground under repair"  and have a free (but mandatory) drop zone on the tee side of each.

Tracy, that's how a BUNCR would play.  You got to the drop zone with no penalty stroke.  That way, you don't have to determine if it ever crossed the hazard.  If you're in the hazard, you shoot from the drop zone.

slimneal

• Pro Poster
  • New bridge, new day
League 7/7
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 10:24:30 PM »
Beautiful night with construction at the new ROCK CITY Swope.
It has been mowed today and has a new look.
Call it EXTREME makeover for an already good lookin' course.
Play the new brown pads. A good Hyzer shot off 4 will get you across Prospect.
A good OK tomahawk from 9 will get you to the Swope Memorial.

Open
Otto Kent Spiers     51  split
Crazy John Brooks   51 split
Jason L                 59
Todd Henry           50 split
Leo D                   50 split
Lary Cooper          57
JR                        68
Matt Shirley           66
Pete Cashen          52
Shawn Elliot           60
Slim OK J               63
Will Lon?               63
Steve H                56

Advanced
Steve Campbell       63
Joe Campbell          64
Spencer                57  (3rd)
Greg Lewis             55  (2nd)
Hummell                 52  (1st)
Kevin K                  58

Lady Folk
Amanda Jackson     64  (1st)
Suzette Nance       68
ExTrEmE SlIm
I throw a whippet with mucho mungo
But it turned over and coondogged a tree

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 12:07:06 PM »
Just out of curiosity, is there anything happening with the cleaning of the restroom building there?....last time I looked, the mens room was locked and the womens room looked like a poop-bomb from beyond went off in there, and it was the most disgusting thing I ever saw, much less smelled!....I'm just sayin'   :)
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535