Author Topic: 30th Anniversary  (Read 765 times)

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
30th Anniversary
« on: July 15, 2009, 04:12:21 PM »
July 14th and 15th mark 30 YEARS since my first tournament... woohoo!!

I was a skinny (honest) little (some things never change) 16-year old at the time (1979). A local radio station had advertised the North American Series Frisbee Tournament event, so I showed up and played. There was no qualifying, and I figured I stood a chance as I had been playing catch and fetch with my family since I was eight or nine.

Each entrant received set of Wham-O Frisbees -- 119g, 141g, and 165g -- with a hotstamp of Jo Cahow doing a neat freestyle move. I remember later that summer some kid hanging at the swimming pool saw me doing a nail-delay and decided to show off. I flung the disc his direction and he promptly pulled out a pocket knife to spin the disc on  :'(  oops...

I guess many of the big names of the day, as well as Crazy John and Hal "Baby" Kurz were there, but I didn't get to meet them.

Disc Golf was played using regular Wham-O discs (nothing else existed) and ground baskets -- kinda tough. Oh, and my best distance was about 100 feet :(  The top distance competitors kept their discs in their cooler to keep them rigid for best flight. I attempted MTA (Maximum Time Aloft) but don't even remember if I caught any shots. My dad and step-mom came to watch the freestyle and we couldn't believe it  :o  My step-mom asked "How do the judges know if it's spinning? Maybe they're just balancing the Frisbee." I quickly learned a nail-delay and showed her how it's even harder to just balance the disc.

The original Swope Park Folf Course opened soon after, and the rest as they say, is history  ;D
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
Re: 30th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 04:38:12 PM »
Congrats on 30 years CD!

And thanks for sharing. Fun story.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

CD

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 04:46:48 PM »
Congrats on 30 years CD!

And thanks for sharing. Fun story.

Oh... the best part of the story? My Dad let me borrow the car on the second day with some silly stipulation about "straight there and back" as I had packed a lunch. Well, you know 16-year olds... I loaded the car up with new friends and promptly drove to McDonald's -- adding about five miles to the trip. Busted!!
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 01:15:34 AM »
CD
What park was this first tournament?
Ground basket??  Was it just something portable you threw down wherever? I am guessing no chains were involved.
I heard the sport was around back then but didn't give it much thought cause I heard they were using trees. At that time I could throw a 150g Whamo at least 200feet and was pretty accurate. I can throw them still but just don't seem to have the same lip and they seem hard to throw.
I would put money on Lynn Warren against anyone playing Whammo disc golf on a junior course.

I bet seeing this sport evolve from what it was has got you really excited.

Steven Disc Glover

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 09:08:37 AM »
I think I saw a "ground" basket in the lastest addition of "Disc Golfer".  Thinks of a big hole in the ground with a pole in the middle.

CD

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 11:50:21 AM »
What park was this first tournament?
Liberty Memorial Penn Valley Park - site of Worlds '009 field events :)

Ground basket??  Was it just something portable you threw down wherever? I am guessing no chains were involved.
If memory serves correct, they used simple wire mesh about 2-ft across.   ???

I heard the sport was around back then but didn't give it much thought cause I heard they were using trees.
Then you missed out!  8)

At that time I could throw a 150g Whamo at least 200feet and was pretty accurate. I can throw them still but just don't seem to have the same lip and they seem hard to throw.
Boy, you ARE old...  ;)

I would put money on Lynn Warren against anyone playing Whammo disc golf on a junior course.
Agreed :)

I bet seeing this sport evolve from what it was has got you really excited.
And everyone is coming to our backyard to play :)
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 11:54:09 PM »
I didn't have a car back then although I graduated that year. I doubt my parents would have taken me.
Steven Disc Glover

gtr

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 04:35:19 PM »
Congrats CD! Doing ANYTHING for for 30 years is quite an accomplishment!!

On a related note - Last week on July 11 marked my 1 year anniversary of the first time I picked up a golf disc! Hope to make it to 30 - of course then I'll be.....?......? Still adding...... - Well anyway wish I would have started as a skinny kid myself!

JS
"We are living in the midst of a Creation that is mostly mysterious - that even when visible, is never fully imaginable".
-Wendell Berry-