Author Topic: KC Star Article  (Read 70 times)

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: KC Star Article
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:48:05 pm »
This has been in play since 2004.  I was on the initial Parks board for the change and have been in contact with them throughout the entire process.

Essentially what will happen is that we will have a trail that will go along many of the "walls", and then we will probably lose the following:
Hole #7-altogether, there will be a vista point by the circle drive, it will make no sense to have that hole there with the construction of the wall and the needed components.
Hole #8-Losing the LONG placement, may have to find an alternative.
Hole #!2 long right-there will be a trail that goes along there, and then to the very end of the land that will be to the right of the pad on #13, it will connect with the wall/trail on #17, go up and around Di-sect 15/16, and go down the road to cross the street on the west of #16 pad, travel down by long #8 towards #5, with a trail on the north end of #5 (being protected by Terrapin station) then reverting back to the southern part on #4, and up to #2 pad with it going back up the hill to the road way, behind long #1, and to the north of #2 pad.

It will create new "OB" rules, sure, it will also make it easier in many aspects to get things for events around the park, which is good. 
There will be a new Shelter installed by the playground area, there will be a new playground area, the practice basket over there will remain.
We may lose part of the "fairway practice" on #12, but there will still be some areas to throw and loosen up.

Bottom line is this.  they wanted a trail system to go through the middle of the course all over the course.  This park is becoming a multi-use park as has been planned for over a decade.  P&R has worked well at listening to all parties (they wanted volley ball courts in  "the old parking lot" bottom #13) and that would have created many issues.

Is it ideal, no, but it is a good thing as we will be getting upgrades in the park for certain.

These effects will not start on the disc golf area until after the MAC as well, so it will minimize impact to most events, the only one it may impact is the Mighty Mo, and Scott and I have been working on alternate plans in the event we can't hold it there.

So please understand that the only certainty in almost all of our disc golf courses is that we are on public land, as such it may from time to time alter, but ultimately I am hopeful that one of the initial designers of the course (Kreeger) will work to have a solution that enables us to continue to have a great place to play, and now will have more beneficial work being done (like replacing many of the trees that are at a mature declination point).

There will be essentially a trail that goes
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

brandon21486

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:08:12 pm »
If hole 7 is removed will a replacement be planned? This is the course closest to me and my buddies play over lunch quite often so quite interested in how this goes. Great to see improvement just wondering how much the course will be affected. Will the trail run behind the teepad on 3?

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:25:11 pm »
If hole 7 is removed will a replacement be planned? This is the course closest to me and my buddies play over lunch quite often so quite interested in how this goes. Great to see improvement just wondering how much the course will be affected. Will the trail run behind the teepad on 3?

no not on #3, there will be a replacement on the lost hole, and it may be down the road, as the initial trail and shelter is the biggest issue.  The Volley Ball Courts and playground will be more to the NE of the current playground, as the current playground will be where the shelter is going to be moving to.  Which may result in a renumbering.

I have an idea of a hole already to replace the #7 loss, but want to look at the scenario with one of the original designers before I propose it to the P&R and make sure it aligns well.  I believe it will, but want his input for certain.

Basically the trail that initially was going to bisect 5/4/3 I was able to get them to create an alternate plan that does intersect some with #4, but since that will be easily identified with individuals walking should enable a good multi-use environment.

There are several disc golf courses with trails in them.  I don't anticipate this being as busy as a SMP trail, but ultimately we may be forced to wait a few seconds on pedestrians as they go through.

It beats the alternative of a complete revamp on the course for certain, and now we should also be able to plant new trees along this that will beautify the course as well for all to enjoy.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"