Author Topic: Gunfire  (Read 149 times)

jteater

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Gunfire
« on: January 29, 2015, 03:34:29 pm »
Sure did hear a lot of gunfire yesterday afternoon.  About hole 9 we ran into some mountain bikers that had called the police. They had seen the 2 that were shooting. They said the police were busy and would try to get by. We left after 10 and saw a lot of groups hanging around. As we were leaving the police arrived and headed right for the 2 guys that were shooting. Trash everywhere. Sorry, add me to the list of people not going there.

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Torque
Re: Gunfire
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 07:17:37 pm »
Just another reason why WYCO is the greatest course in the world. 
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

Boosting my post count, one post at a muthaphockin' time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYm-LYrJQA

kujo

• Am Poster
  • I just walked in....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 07:33:02 pm »
what about the dildo on hole 4? that course has real class. don't forget to bring your 40 cal
together we stand, divided we fall

jteater

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 07:35:18 pm »
Just another reason why WYCO is the greatest course in the world.
Dang straight skippy.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 11:04:15 am »
Well....someone shoots a gun and you don't visit the area anymore.....your decision.  As for the trash been busy but probably gonna get out there to clean it up some because as an investor in the land I do that.  I invest my time for others to enjoy and will spend an hour cleaning up others waste to enjoy it when it is clean.  Others just point and say why isn't this clean?

Cops come to get folks, did you call the police or just ignore it because "someone else did it already"?  The more attention that we show the police we are in the park, the more attention they will give as well to protect and serve in the areas that they are made aware of.  So I say when you hear something like that, call them as well.....

I have been held at gunpoint in OP, I think that I should count that as a place that I should never visit again as well......I had a co-worker shot and killed next to Wy-CO, I guess I should call that another place to never go.

The bottom line folks, we live in an environment of crazy people with access to many weapons that clearly aren't being used solely for protection or hunting.  It isn't just one area that has it, it is EVERY area, you have to be safe and conscientious where ever you are at, what ever city you are in. 

Choosing to "boycott" a park in my mind means that the people that shouldn't be doing things "win" and we lose.  Soon enough you won't be able to leave your house for fear of being shot is what you are saying?  This course is now over 10 years in the ground.  NO BODY has been shot on the disc golf course at Cliff Drive.  Dead bodies dumped there, yes, broken windows, vandals, yes, but that same can be said at most of the courses that are over 10 years old as well.

I don't encourage you to confront the gun men, but I also don't want to see an abdication of the park from those that shouldn't be there to use it properly.  We are all working hard to have POSITIVE activity in the park, the notion that the "mountain bikers" called the cops shows that by having a multi-use park we are making strides.

I am a firm advocate for either part of the problem or part of the solution, ignoring itmes to me has always been a part of the problem. 

You can do as you see fit, but for me the knowledge that mountain bikers took the initiative to do what is right says more to me than the fact that gunfire happened again in the city......
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Torque
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 12:14:53 pm »
Good points Jack.  It is one of the coolest layouts for courses in the city.  I don't see this as a complaint but more of an observation and awareness post.  It is a combination of the demographic and disregard for the general public's safety by those engaging in such activity.  Random gunfire by irresponsible idiots cannot be predicted or controlled.  Avoiding areas which are conducive to such activity is really the only measure a person can take to ensure their safety where it occurs. 

I am sure the last thing anyone wants here is a member of the disc golf community, or any person for that matter, killed accidentally or intentionally by an irresponsible and senseless act of idiotic behavior. 

Please don't take this personally. 
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

Boosting my post count, one post at a muthaphockin' time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYm-LYrJQA

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 12:54:10 pm »
I do take it personally, but I get what you are saying.  It puts a bad perspective out there.  To me we all have expiration dates.  I made it through the incidents at OP (Held at gunpoint at the Bank in the mall Parking lot).....I still go to the mall, the girl at DG was killed by her psycho ex.  I know that some people's comfort zone won't allow them to get there, and I am ok with that.  I also don't really like it when people point out that they can be "counted on to not come back" based on an action that they heard.  But I do completely understand why they may feel that way, but was also trying to point out that this happens in every corner of america and the area now.

I guess what kinda irritates me is the notion that the "mountain bikers" called the cops.  So all the fuss about them "taking over our work" that happened, and then they are the ones now making the calls that we should be making.  So to me maybe we should just give them the land if they are going to be the ones doing the work as they have been over the last few years.

"the police are busy, but would try to get by", that is yet another reason to have a call made.  The more calls they get the more likely they are to respond.

You know I carry with me still an awful of guilt with Nick's death, wondering if I did make enough calls, could I have done more....this is the same situation to me.  You know something is wrong, act.

I get that I shouldn't take it personally (probably many things that I shouldn't) but I am also a guy that wears his emotions on his sleeves often.  That is my passion coming out.

I get that some people think its "sketchy" to play there.  I also though know first hand that over the past 15 years that I have been working out there, I have heard gun shots and never felt threatened.  I have been confronted by crazy folks, and never felt scared, I have engaged in hostile conversations and never been injured.....I have been silly stupid and dumb as a "white cracker ass" and still done things that enabled me to write this today.  Typically I am calling the cops.  Do I like to, no, but I do because it is the right thing to do. 

Too many years of people ignoring the issues that go on within the park have enabled this mentality to be viewed as acceptable and unfortunately I hope that us as a collective group can help foster, nurture and develop that change.  So that is probably why I get up in arms over the conversation.

Soon enough though every city in the metro will have a disc golf course.  Those smaller cities with only a handful of parks to worry about will be in better shape and maintained by them so that there is no "ownership" of the lands.  The great vast areas of our work effort and love will be replaced by the business and parks departments that want it all to be the same will lead us into the vein of conformist disc golf.

We as a collective body should be proud of what we do to make changes within the parks, and be the spearhead to change.  We lose some of that clout when I hear others are doing it.  Now don't get me wrong, I understand that, hey they were called dude, relax is WAY in order.  And it truly is, but I wanted to kinda voice my own concerns and beliefs to share how I personally would see things done.

This place that we call home was a dump.  It may look "trashy" but it is a far cry from what we started with.  We have the luxury of being able to build, design and partner with the best and largest P&R in the area to help us keep our sport growing.  Our courses and the work that has been done the previous decades from many that aren't doing it is exactly why we can.  We do that with a sense of pride and ownership that comes with dedication to the land and the knowledge that we help. 

That help though comes at a price, some get, some don't.  I'd like to think that I get it.  Others don't get it, or me, and I am ok with that.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 01:10:34 pm »
"You can do as you see fit, but for me the knowledge that mountain bikers took the initiative to do what is right says more to me than the fact that gunfire happened again in the city......"

Agreed. My exact thoughts. Someone took the initiative.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 01:17:47 pm »
"You can do as you see fit, but for me the knowledge that mountain bikers took the initiative to do what is right says more to me than the fact that gunfire happened again in the city......"

Agreed. My exact thoughts. Someone took the initiative.

And I get that one may think, well someone already called it in, is ok.  I am overly sensitive and I know this.  :-D  I am also very happy no one was hurt, the biggest issue in my mind.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

swezy

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 01:36:49 pm »
I was out there when all of this happened on Wednesday.  I didn't even hear any of the reported gunshots.  The "mountain bikers" were not mountain bikers.  They were a couple of intoxicated dudes that happened to be on bicycles.  Mountain bikers tend to have knobby tires, wear helmets, and don't ride with a brown bag in their hands.  They came up to me spewing about about "those Africans are shooting guns and the police are too busy."  I wasn't too concerned and I will continue to play this awesome course. 
kcfdc #1468

pdga #57407