Author Topic: Smithville ????  (Read 6345 times)

bbman

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Smithville ????
« on: July 20, 2009, 05:00:46 AM »
Chain Mail said something about a course at Smithville any further info on this????

Rosedale Down Under CC 2010

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Smithville ????
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 08:59:37 AM »
Rick must be referring to the little homemade starter course in the camp ground.

The possibility of a full blown course up here is mind boggling.

There is a lot of space and some of the best scenery ever on a disc golf course.

I would like to go talk to to Ranger Mike and see what feedback he is getting from the starter course.

I need to invite him to the Worlds…so he can see just how big this sport is.

Dan   8)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 09:44:21 AM by Lefty2 »
For a good time: Lat- 39°25'8.92"N, Long- 94°33'18.52"W

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 09:36:13 AM »
I found out about the course from a customer from Smithville who was buying his first golf discs. It may be little and homemade, but people are finding it and enjoying disc golf.

RR

Rick must be referring to the little homemade starter course in the camp ground. Not sure it would be worth the drive but the possibility of a full blown course up here is mind boggling.

There is a lot of space and some of the best scenery ever on a disc golf course.

I would like to go talk to to Ranger Mike and see what feedback he is getting from the started course.

I need to invite him to the Worlds…so he can see just how big this sport is.

Dan   8)

Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
rick@discgolfworld.com
www.discgolfworld.com

Keizer

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 09:48:38 AM »
I've been up to Smithville fishing a couple times this past week, and found myself imagining quite a bit about disc golf while buzzing around the lake. There is plenty of land to make a course and still have more than enough for all the other recreational activities. Good to hear they've got something going, hopefully the camp ground course will lead to a nice permanent course someday.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 10:12:12 AM »
I ran into a buddy who's brother-in-law is the parks and rec director in Kearney. The director said something about a course going in at Jesse James Park. I didn't ask about a timeline but I can call.
Is that close to you Dan?
Steven Disc Glover

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 12:11:12 PM »
Kearney is exactly 12 miles East of Smithville. It would rock to have something closer to home.

Dan  8)

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 11:28:19 PM »
count me in on the committee for something at smithville.  i currently live between liberty and smithville and am looking at property in the smithville area.  jesse james park north of kearney is a beautiful little facility with the amphitheater but there is so much else there with not much room for a challenging disc golf course.  maybe a family friendly starter course though.  smithville, on clay county park land would have so much more to work with.
Drew D Neitzel

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 12:54:00 AM »
This parks and rec guy is really cool. The mayor there seems pretty neat too.
I can get in touch with him and find out some info.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:55:45 AM by discglover »
Steven Disc Glover

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 11:39:28 AM »
Just got off the phone with Deputy Director, Mike Kaullen, Clay County Parks.

He will be at the Worlds at some point. Mike will contact me next week and I can bring him around for some quick introductions and let him see how this lifetime sport has really taken off.

I think he is ready to put Smithville on the map for Disc Golf...but has budget concerns. If we can get past those issues, he makes it sound like a course (or courses) are a very attainable goal.

Stand by but be ready to get involved once we get to that point. (it may be very near!)

Dan  8)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 11:48:51 AM by Lefty2 »

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 11:38:37 PM »
Invite him to the Finals at Blue Valley.
I am actually glad you mentioned that idea Dan.
I can make arrangements for The Kearney director to be there. I would not be surprised if he brings the mayor with him.
That would be a great time to ask about involvement and a timeline of installation.
Hopefully a huge crowd will be present.
Steven Disc Glover

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 08:28:46 PM »
Missed calling Mike Kaullen today...and never had a chance to hook up with him at the Worlds.

I will get with him first thing in the morning to see what the next plan of action for a disc golf course in Smithville...by the lake of course!

Dan  8)

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 10:30:05 AM »
Yeah, my invite went unanswered also.
I think they were having another event that day though too.
We can just hope any parks and rec officials that are interested in future installments caught all the media hype we received.
Steven Disc Glover

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 04:09:19 PM »
8:30 Meeting at the Parks Dept on Friday...Mike seems stoked to get something started.

Dan  8)

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 11:52:50 PM »
how did it go dan?
Drew D Neitzel

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 07:19:14 AM »
how did it go dan?

Meeting went real well! Thanks for asking!

We discussed-

1. The “Build It and They Will Come” concept.
2. The "Club House" concept- play 9 holes, back to the parking area for whatever reason, then the back nine, wrapping back up at the parking area.
3. The Volunteer concept.
4. A Concession Stand – Pro Shop that could help fund the project.
3. The budget…this will more that likely not become a reality until 2010. (Unless we can raise $20,000 before that)
4. Looked at several maps and pre-determined where a course should go based on parking, desire for beer/alcoholic beverages, views of the water, not bothering other patrons of the park, restrooms, etc. (I do believe we have 2 or 3 killer areas that would serve very nicely for our game and allow for all the “must haves” listed above!)
5. All areas we are thinking are based on the “Pay to Park” concept. $5 per car or buy a yeary pass for $20. I told him I did not think the **$20 would be an issue if the course was designed perfectly, the mowing schedule, the noxious weed eradication, and all the 500 details were in place. (Benches, trash cans, signs, etc)

**The yearly pass could be dealt with by that’s the first perk you earn as a volunteer.

6. I asked about play ground equipment and every time they put in a play ground, it costs $80,000 to $100,000. They have several playgrounds within the park system. I wanted that idea to put our request into perspective. We can build a perfect course for $20,000 or so.

Thanks to Rick at Disc Gold World, I gave Mike a lot of documents on how to build a course, and why it’s important not to skip the design faze. Types of baskets, plans for T-boxes, how much room to allow per hole, etc were all coverd in the booklets from Rick (thanks Rick!)

We do have the luxury of seeing how some of the other new course have been put in…some good and some maybe not so good. Addressing all areas of the sport now will allow us to put in a perfect course from the beginning with no surprises for anyone…us or them.

I do have a map image that I will post here. All you designers can take a stab at your ideas for the course. Maybe we can meet at some point to discuss the design concepts and possibly get a real course designer involved and give him (or her), based on the pre-concepting stage ideas submitted by you, a chance to see what they can come up with.

Comments anyone?