Author Topic: Worlds in the Media  (Read 3794 times)

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

Mile High Golfer

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Shots
Re: Worlds in the Media
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 09:41:34 PM »
wow...this is a pretty inflammatory article...why all the hate for ball golf etc?? Or at least it sounds that way..as well as some pretty harsh comments... :'( :'(
Kiss the Sky - Aspen Mountain - Losing your Discs never felt this good!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottshots1/

Keizer

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 09:47:36 PM »
Yeah, a slightly biased article, it would seem, but I certainly enjoyed it! The readers' comments are even more entertaining, with some nasty remarks made by obviously uninformed individuals. Cooper Arnold, I've never met you, but I know you're active on this board-- that was one terrific response you made to those naysayers! Way to represent, man!

The best comment was the one referring to Rick's open-mindedness, or lack thereof. Hilarious! Rick, I think you've hurt a couple sissy ball golfers' feelings, you may want to apologize before they show up at DGW with pitchforks and torches! :D

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 03:05:33 PM »
wow...this is a pretty inflammatory article...why all the hate for ball golf etc?? Or at least it sounds that way..as well as some pretty harsh comments... :'( :'(

I've not been in a ball golf environment for many years, so I don't know for sure if clubs still restrict the times that women can play. When I was younger, women could not play until late afternoon on the weekends. Of course, many private golf courses (as is their legal right) do not allow women to become members. While it's getting harder for some golf clubs to deny entry to people of color, they can do it if they're clever. But, I now what you mean Scott, it does look harsh in print. The guy quoted me accurately tho.

Rick

Rick Rothstein

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 06:16:07 PM »
they're two completely different sports...same game..but different sport
Mike Penney

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 11:17:55 PM »
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 06:45:40 AM »
Video from Channel 9 on Saturday:
http://www.kmbc.com/video/20178427/index.html

They had another story last night at 10pm about the field events and the link above mentions another story at 6pm on Saturday.
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

ernst

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 04:29:20 PM »
tomorrow on KCUR 89.3, 11 - noon on Up to Date with Steve Kraske.

the first half is with a author but it's kinda funny the way it reads on the website....

"Author Noel Grove discusses his book "Anyone But Duane"/ a look at the Disc Golf Championship in Kansas City"

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 04:49:38 PM »
the first half is with a author but it's kinda funny the way it reads on the website....

"Author Noel Grove discusses his book "Anyone But Duane"/ a look at the Disc Golf Championship in Kansas City"

Noooooo...

I found a "Spiderman" Series book and the author's pen name is Diane Duane. Funny thing is, Diane is my twin sister's name :O She still owes me ten minutes for making me the middle child!
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 05:03:01 PM »
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 06:27:16 PM »
Well, CD, since you're "niced" already, you still gonna play??
Bluebird ROCKS!

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 11:33:29 PM »
this link says Wednesday, but just scroll to Tuesday.

http://www.kcur.org/uptodate.html#Wednesday

Jack was on "Up To Date with Steve Kraske" in the second half of the show, actually starting about 40 minutes in.  He's such a multi-talented guy...all the NPR chicks were hot after him, I heard.

good job, Jack.
Bluebird ROCKS!

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 04:11:58 PM »
This is huge: a very respectful article on the SPORTS page of the KC Star....Wow!

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1352120.html
Rick Rothstein

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

Dirk

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 11:57:48 AM »
KCFDC and all volunteers did an outstanding job, we provided an environment for players to compete, flourish, communicate, party and realize the value of our sport and contributions.

My only critique is how the PDGA has not handled the task of promoting the PR of the sport. A few peeps from local newspapers that the local TDs contacted was all the coverage the World's received?? Really. The PDGA MUST do better at promoting this sport. This may have been the sports grandest moment, but only those who were there can truly appreciate what happened.

If ESPN or FOX Network 6 can cover bass fishing and bowling, surely the PR at PDGA could muster some viable coverage for the PDGA World Championships... beyond some DVD released months later in quite distribution when the excitement and dust has settled. Maybe they are just overwhelmed preparing for the next USDGC.

The locals in KC prepared the courses, established scheduling, lodging , entertainment in good measure. But in the grand picture the PDGA needs to be the ones promoting the sport nationwide. You can't rely on local clubs, trying to prepare for competition to establish a PR blitz in each different tournament. 

Media coverage of our sport needs to be a much higher priority for the PDGA before this sport grows in sponsorships and recognition of the entire nation - dare I say the WORLD . my.02

ernst

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 01:50:09 PM »
My only critique is how the PDGA has not handled the task of promoting the PR of the sport. A few peeps from local newspapers that the local TDs contacted was all the coverage the World's received?? Really. The PDGA MUST do better at promoting this sport. This may have been the sports grandest moment, but only those who were there can truly appreciate what happened.

If ESPN or FOX Network 6 can cover bass fishing and bowling, surely the PR at PDGA could muster some viable coverage for the PDGA World Championships... beyond some DVD released months later in quite distribution when the excitement and dust has settled. Maybe they are just overwhelmed preparing for the next USDGC.

Media coverage of our sport needs to be a much higher priority for the PDGA before this sport grows in sponsorships and recognition of the entire nation - dare I say the WORLD . my.02

I've wanted to say this same thing but as a spectator only I don't know what the full story is with that organization.  I know I was miffed to see how quickly they got their DVD promo out but media content as a whole on the pdga site IMO was lacking.