« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 09:26:52 AM »
Quite an astute observation, Steve! Nothing gets by you! :D

The Can tankerous A.N.G

• Pro Poster
  • Don't look now!
    • View Profile
Re: RAIN
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 10:18:25 AM »
The rain started when my group stepped up on the pad to tee off.  Of all the days to rain, it had to be the day I played Blue Valley. Ha Ha.

lsdiscs

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 10:38:02 PM »
Funny story...

First of all, course cordinator for shawnee mission showed up late for the first round (n pool) while everyone was standing around wondering what was going on.  But here is the best part...

It may not be that great but coming from a ball golf background, I thought it was pretty funny for the caliber of tourney we were at.  The course director informed everyone before the round that if there was a rain delay, you would have the option of marking your disc as it lie when the horn sounded... or... replay the hole.  Yes, I double checked with him and he confirmed that if one was to throw a disc out of bounds, the horn sounded to stop play, they could replay the hole... basically... take a mulligan and erase the bad throw.  Wouldn't even have to pay extra for the privilage of a re-do as there often are in the 4-man golf scrambles you are accustomed to seeing them in. 

In his defense, I was told that back in the day in the dg rulebook, this was actually a rule?  Can someone confirm this?  Just seems to me that that would qualify as a mulligan that would completely put other pools at a disadvantage...

lsdiscs

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 10:44:58 PM »
Thought I should clarify that wasn't a complaint just thought it was interesting.  All of the courses did look great, and the cordinators were really good at what they did.  Everything was organized, centrally located, and well run.  Only thing I wish they would have had was bag tags like they did 2 years ago.  That would have been fun.  Everyone I spoke with had RAVING reviews of cliff drive.  Great work with the pads.... they looked great! 

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 06:30:41 AM »
http://www.pdga.com/rules/80404-rain-or-hazardous-conditions

804.04 says nothing about replay the hole.  That course director was WRONG.
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 12:00:39 PM »
He was corrected by the Marshal on site during the round as well.  It is a moot point because the rain delay did not happen.  It would have made for a sticky situation though had it happened......Marshal called me and asked, and I was like WTF?  But its all water under teh bridge thankfully.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 01:48:36 PM »
We had to make a group decision about this rule in Columbia at the Mid-Am. We knew the rule but when we threw on #12 in a thunderstorm we realized the women on the card in front of us had left their minis marking their lies. We then assumed that we had thrown on them after they had heard a rain delay called. We picked up our lies assuming we would need to re-tee since they hadn't holed out yet. It turns out that the TD hadn't called a rain delay, even though he really should have. The women just decided they were going to call one for themselves. We had wanted to do that too since it seemed ridiculous that we were still playing with lightning all around. Once the rain let up and the lightning moved on we let them hole out then re-teed. It wasn't according to the rules but since our entire division was on a single card the end result was the same. Everyone got a second chance at that drive.

My point is, TDs need to be better prepared for stormy weather and know when to call a rain delay. When I discussed this with the TD he claimed that he thought all of the cards were on their way in so it would be pointless to call a delay. However, we still had three holes to play. It doesn't matter when in the round severe weather happens. Even with one hole left for only one card the TD needs to be aware that he has people out there in harm's way and bring them in. All it takes is one person being hit by lightning to make his mistake a bad one.

Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 02:53:14 PM »
We had to make a group decision about this rule in Columbia at the Mid-Am. We knew the rule but when we threw on #12 in a thunderstorm we realized the women on the card in front of us had left their minis marking their lies. We then assumed that we had thrown on them after they had heard a rain delay called. We picked up our lies assuming we would need to re-tee since they hadn't holed out yet. It turns out that the TD hadn't called a rain delay, even though he really should have. The women just decided they were going to call one for themselves. We had wanted to do that too since it seemed ridiculous that we were still playing with lightning all around. Once the rain let up and the lightning moved on we let them hole out then re-teed. It wasn't according to the rules but since our entire division was on a single card the end result was the same. Everyone got a second chance at that drive.

My point is, TDs need to be better prepared for stormy weather and know when to call a rain delay. When I discussed this with the TD he claimed that he thought all of the cards were on their way in so it would be pointless to call a delay. However, we still had three holes to play. It doesn't matter when in the round severe weather happens. Even with one hole left for only one card the TD needs to be aware that he has people out there in harm's way and bring them in. All it takes is one person being hit by lightning to make his mistake a bad one.

I agree.  We were in the group behind Kevin in Columbia, but only had one hole left.  We had heard no rain delay horn, and we decided to go ahead and finish. But I was nervous doing it.  I wanted to get that round over with, but I didn't really want to die, either.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.