Author Topic: World's Wrap-up  (Read 2333 times)

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
World's Wrap-up
« on: August 03, 2009, 04:22:58 PM »
Just saw this posted on the PDGA site.  It's a pretty good wrap up, with some well deserved kudo's to all that made it possible.   8)

http://www.pdga.com/worlds-wrap-up
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

Nathan Lang

Re: World's Wrap-up
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 07:45:25 PM »
I took some photos out at Water Works on Thursday afternoon.

http://www.significantimagery.com/pdga_worlds/

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 08:33:27 PM »
my favorite (well, least favorite in a way, too) story from the week--the guy who lost his putter while I was spotting, Tuesday afternoon Rosie 15.  This was Pro Masters.  The drive hits a tree, comes down near the edge of the schule just past the bridge.  His second, with his putter it turns out, goes long right and into the weeds/down the hill. 

I was spotting from the 16 side of the fairway, since there's at least 2 zones of disc losing possibility there.  CD even suggested that I move to the hill to get out of the view of the pad (sorry, if a person standing 200' away, not moving, off to the side, is a distraction, you need to learn concentration skills).  I DID go to the hill for most upshots and putts, except when they were short like this particular one.  If I'd been in the woods for drives, I couldn't see anything, not the player on the pad, not the disc  unless it went past me or hit me.  That was my logical plan.

Anyway, the putter went in pretty slow, I saw WHERE it went in but didn't see it go down the hill or anything.  I really thought it stopped at the top.  Rather than hold up play while I went looking for it further, I waited till they'd all thrown.  Does that seem logical?  It did to me.

Well, we can't find the thing.  He plays on, goes back after the round and I guess he found it 20 feet down the hill. 

He then posts on the PDGA discussion that "the spotter was watching the wide open fairway instead of the hillside, and 'thought' he knew where my disc went in."  And complains that he had to play without a putter the rest of the round.

So, it's MY fault that he threw a crappy shot, then threw his second into the crap.  And that he didn't have a second putter. 

He complained about muddy flypads at Thornfield too.  I don't feel bad at all, but had to get it off my chest.

Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 10:02:39 PM »
some people are blamers steve.  simple as that.

easier to say it's your fault than to take responsibility for a bad shot.

i saw it on several occasions too, but hey, it's the worlds, i'm guessing that some player's emotions got the better of them.

Keizer

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 06:12:42 AM »
I got 99% thank-yous and only had to explain to one guy that I wasn't being paid to be a spotter. He was in grandmasters, IIRC. From the looks of it, he was having a bad round, as just before he snapped at me I heard him dropping F-bombs on the rest of his card and complaining about lack of courtesy, etc. Nobody b%tches about courtesy unless they're having a bad round... :D

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 08:44:09 AM »
thanks gang...I'm not really bothered by it but ay first I was upset.  what really made me laugh was the crack about'no putter the rest of that round'.  that was the only gripe...most by far said thanks, including FPO lead card. 
one guy never in contention doesn't bug  me since I did the best I could.
Bluebird ROCKS!

Spencer

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 09:07:17 AM »
just like it's not OUR fault "someone" had to putt on broken glass, and missed the putt from "within the woods", instead of the fairway, @ liff Drive, because his foot slipped on the broken glass...

Or another time, his drive when OB because on fading back it hit a car instead of hitting the road and skipping in-bounds...

yeah Doug-that little whining session was really childish.  I had never seen him play before, and actually showed up expecting to root for him to catch the leaders-then he started crying about how trash-filled Cliff was and how the poor course conditions made him miss 2 shots-one of which I watched was a 60' uphill blind putt around 3 trees from a wooded hill...but it was CLUBS fault for not picking up that small pile of trash on the hill.  Then the truck thing on #10-gimme a break-you hit a truck parked OB at 60 mph and you shouldn't blame the truck, but yourself.  The guy def. didn't act like a champ-that's why I loved rooting for Avery-when he screwed up he hit his fist into his other hand and then concentrated on the next hole.  Didn't cry and whine and make excuses like an arrogant baby! I need to take a page from his book on how to keep a cool head when things aren't going well.

what really made me laugh was the crack about'no putter the rest of that round'.

"He with only one putter is doomed to be putter-less." -shame on him for not having a back-up, and for spittin hate at the spotter for HIS crappy throw!

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
Steve,
I spotted #10 at Rosedale a few times for Wide Open and was unable to find just one disc but I still felt bad for not finding it. I realized later I gave it my best shot looking cause that hole eats em up.
I waited till all throws were done before looking in case there was more than one errant shot.
The player complained I did not attempt to find it as soon as I saw where it went in.
I asked him if he would like me to continue helping him look for his disc. That calmed him down real quick.
As for bad mouthing  any officials or spotters and acting out in negative ways to fellow players during a major should be an automatic DQ. It can cause a deterrent to the conditions other players  are being put in contact with said conduct.
Golf is a mental sport. Its supposed to be a challenge.
If they are so unhappy then why let them play.
I can understand the complaints about the teepads at Thornfield but there are ways of keeping complaints in check.
Steven Disc Glover

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 01:11:06 PM »
Spotters are just there to help.....it certainly isn't a spotters fault if a player has a bad shot. As far as being putter-less...gimmie a break...I carry 2 putters at all times, and I'm nobody special. The trash at Cliff Drive, well all I can say is in the past 5 years we have pulled tons upon tons of trash from that land, and will continue to pick trash from there, it had been an abandoned wasteland for over 20 years, and the week of worlds it looked the best I have EVER seen it. Boo to whiners!
Mike Penney

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 04:40:24 PM »
I spotted #12 at Thornfield (downhill blind hyzer) for both Pro cards, and was treated very nicely by everyone.   No discs lost per say, but 2 were stuck in trees.

CHAS.

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 08:49:13 PM »
I had the pleasure of spottin at Blue Valley #4 all week and never  had a lost disc all week 2 are in trees but I can point at them. There was truly good people that gaves thanks all week. I got a warm hand shake and a thank you from Climo and that made all worth it to me. Every group I spotted for I got a thank you for being there. I had one Pro Grandmaster make me stand behind a tree while he teed but if that what it take oh well. I had one women spectator talk me into turning a group loose a little early so I waved them onthat was a mistake. I turned loose Coda Hatfield who skipped one off the hill landed almost over the bridge and fell off the bridge. they were puttin 20 ft. away. I think the young man who won the Advanced was about to tee off was upset cause I waved him off the group below was puttin and one hit a tree and his disc landed on the bridge I wasn't going to take the chance his dad or caddy understood. Just when I got got a rythum going the Pro master winner I believe launched one over the Black forrest where they were the group ahead was putting and to hold Dave Hemmline but this great experiance I was glead I was there.
PS.          thanks to Kevin Montgomery for the Tee shirt that fit me.

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 04:14:52 PM »
Jack, or Chappy, or anyone who may know...what were comments from the pro players about various courses?  BV, CD, WYCO especially...i.e., what did Avery, Climo, Josh, Feldberg, Foss, Val, Greenwell, Hoss, etc think about them?  We know what some of the stat-heads think about them, to me that's not really reality.

Bluebird ROCKS!

ernst

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 12:21:14 PM »
Jack, or Chappy, or anyone who may know...what were comments from the pro players about various courses?  BV, CD, WYCO especially...i.e., what did Avery, Climo, Josh, Feldberg, Foss, Val, Greenwell, Hoss, etc think about them?  We know what some of the stat-heads think about them, to me that's not really reality.

Avery Jenkins lists Swope as one of his favorites on his discgolfersR.us page.

Stafford Lake - Novato, CA
Milo McIver - Estacada, OR
Token Creek - Madison, WI
Fountain Hills - Phoenix, AZ
Winthrop Gold - Rock Hill SC
Swope Park - Kansas City, MO
Solitude Mt. Resort - SLC, UT
Nasu Highlands - Tochigi, Japan

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 12:30:52 PM »
I'm sure he  was referring to Swope Gold with Ropes.   
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist