Author Topic: Visiting KC MO  (Read 2671 times)

Eagle One

Visiting KC MO
« on: March 10, 2005, 08:25:42 PM »
I will be visiting the KC area next week and am curious if there are any courses close to the downtown area (near the Municipal Auditorium).  I did a search on PDGA and believe Rosedale is the closest.  Is that right? Not sure if I will have time to get out and play a round but know that my transportation around town will be somewhat limited.  I might get a  chance to come check out the DUI depending on my work schedule.  If I get the chance and have transportation which course should I try to get to?  (I play La Mirada here in California about a +9, if that helps).  Thanks for any info.
John Wiese

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Visiting KC MO
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 08:38:51 PM »
You might want to give Water Works a shot, no farther away and less crowded.  Check the 'courses' page on this site for a map(click club logo in ul corner), be sure and check out the 'walk the course' link on the left side of each course's page for a flash tour at the playdg site.

Always wanted to play La Mirada,  heard that the course might be taken out any truth to that?

- Sean

Eagle One

Visiting KC MO
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 02:48:22 PM »
Thanks Sean for the info.  I haven't heard anything about the course being removed, I certainly hope not for multiple reasons.  First, its fun to play, usually 27 holes set up (sometimes 36) and the number of people walking the course seem to be increasing.  It's located right next to the local high school so gets a young crowd.  Secondly, I teach a university activity course in disc golf and that is our home course.  I'll check with
Mike Williams at the pro shop next time I'm there.
John

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Visiting KC MO
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 02:52:08 PM »
Now that I think about it maybe it was Delavega(sp?).  Enjoy your visit to KC.

-Sean

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Visiting KC MO
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 07:21:13 PM »
Sean DeLa is what they ARE TALKING ABOUT TAKING OUT.  La Mirada is basically in LA area.  Cliff Drive is the closest course to Down Town.  You will be fine playing there, but start on hole #6 and hit the woods first, the rest of the course will be ok to play in twilight.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Eagle One

Visiting KC MO
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 02:58:20 PM »
Thanks Jack, I've located it on a map and does appear to be a little closer.  I've checked bus routes, and there is some that go quite near both courses.  Now I just have to find the time.  Thanks again for your input, you guys have a great website with plenty of helpful info.
John

Eagle One

Visited KC
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 04:53:16 PM »
Hi, I got a chance this last weekend to visit Water Works Park.  It was a great time, and an awesome course.  Congratulations on constructing and keeping the course so nice.  The tee signs were very helpful and the tees were great to throw off of.  I played twice, but both times had limited amount of time and only played 1-13 and back up to 18.  On Saturday afternoon I was impressed with the number of people on the course.  They were very friendly and informative when I played a disc off the side of hole 5, (I don't know how you find them when everything is leafed out!).  Two different groups were also kind enough to let me play through.  The terrain is very different than what I am used to, very challenging and potentially disc destroying.  What a great workout; if that was my regular course I would be 20 pounds lighter.  Thanks again for your work to upkeep the park.  Only had a chance to do a driveby (its a LA thing) of Cliffside, it looked more similar to what I have here in So Cal.
PS Long live free access!!!  John

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Visiting KC MO
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 11:17:41 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.  When I went to Cali in the 90's and every where I had to play it was wierd, probably not any wierd than not having to pay.  Though IMHO, the $1/day thing would help us make it even better in KC.

Glad you enjoyed it, head on back for the Wide Open!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Whoa!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 12:39:48 PM »
Taking DeLavega out?  No way!  That course is on the earth's top ten for sure.  I wonder what the deal is...

SeanB

Visiting KC MO
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 06:00:57 AM »
I will be coming to KC the week of May 23rd. I will be working right around UMKC, specifically Volker Blvd between Oak and Cherry. Are most courses within pretty close driving distance? I should have a rental car. I would like to play as many courses as I can while I am out. I should be done with work between 4 and 5 each day.

Thanks,
Sean B

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Visiting KC MO
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 09:57:18 AM »
Swope,  Rosedale, and Cliff Drive  are all within 10min of that location, and you could make Water Works in 15 depending on traffic.  Leagues at each of the courses start @ 5:30 - :45.  Check the League Page.  Rosedale is the busiest course in town, especially in the evening, so it may take a little longer to play.  Rosedale also has two 18 hole course at one location.  

Check out the course pages and be sure and follow the 'walk the course' link in the left hand column of each course page. Let us know if you need any more info.

-Sean

kcRhyno

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Visiting KC MO
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 12:14:28 PM »
do yourself a big favor and play waterworks, one of the nicest courses in the country....  youll also enjoy Swope.
Ryan "Rhyno" Westa
Do everyone a favor, pick up at least one piece of trash during every round.