Author Topic: KC's FIRST EVER ACE RACE!!!!  (Read 10521 times)

chi chi rodweez

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: KC's FIRST EVER ACE RACE!!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 09:07:23 AM »
After running several of these, I've learned... The shorter the holes are, the better.  If they are too long, you won't have any aces.  It's more exciting when mulitple aces are hit.

thanks for your input Schoen-hopper...i was thinking the same thing...so you would reccomend most being 200 and under correct?

tim

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 09:50:24 AM »
they need to be short too, as the ace race disc for this year is a putter (i think).

Keizer

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 09:53:26 AM »
This event should be held at William Yates Elementary. If ever there was a perfect venue for this type of contest, it's Yates.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 10:00:10 AM »
Tim may be thinking of the # of people wanting to play and making it easy from players meeting to tee. So in that respect I agree. It sounds like you are planning on putting in temp placements?
I have yet to play Yates but hear that would be a great place too without knowing the ease of which to have a large event there.
Steven Disc Glover

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 10:03:05 AM »
Just say no to Yates for this event!  Tournaments need adult beverages, and they're off limits at Yates!

chi chi rodweez

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 10:15:30 AM »
Tim may be thinking of the # of people wanting to play and making it easy from players meeting to tee. So in that respect I agree. It sounds like you are planning on putting in temp placements?
I have yet to play Yates but hear that would be a great place too without knowing the ease of which to have a large event there.

I agree Yates would be nice but correct a mundo on the adult bevs....and yes we will have temp placements and temp tees in some instances..

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 11:14:54 AM »
After running several of these, I've learned... The shorter the holes are, the better.  If they are too long, you won't have any aces.  It's more exciting when mulitple aces are hit.

thanks for your input Schoen-hopper...i was thinking the same thing...so you would reccomend most being 200 and under correct?

tim

I think a variety is good.  A couple of longer holes is OK.  But I would say you would want them to average around 180, which means several holes under that.  Even shorter if you are playing through trees.

Just an opinion- I'd say if the disc is a putter type, make the holes really short using the Down Under or another course with some trees.  Talking 150' shots or less.  You could mix it up with some alt tees the 2nd round that way every hole is different.

Keizer

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2009, 01:36:06 PM »
Yeah, forgot about the beer thing. That really sucks we couldn't get a special permit or something, because that course would really be the perfect Ace Race course.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 02:33:49 PM »
Do you plan on flagging shorter tees with the baskets at Swope, or moving the baskets?  I don't know if it would be worthwhile to move all of the baskets, since there isn't a hole out there that would play short enough for the Ace Race.  We could also have 2 baskets on a hole (1 flag, 1 red) which would enable you to play 2 holes in a shorter span of time, and hopefully reducing the amount of walking needed to play 18 holes.

chi chi rodweez

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 04:03:58 PM »
Timko..yeah we planned on flaggin shorter tees when needed.  I do like your idea of two holes per hole..lol.. Eric and i are meeting this week to discuss...thanks for your input.

tim

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 04:17:18 PM »
I'm out of town this weekend, but perhaps we can get together in the next couple of weeks to think about a course configuration.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 11:24:53 AM »
Temp placements will take ALOT of planning to attaining extra baskets. If there is not a layout plan yet, I suggest getting the word out to get as many baskets as you can and go from there to see what you can do with what you got.
If there is a way to make 2 courses, that would be a way to accomodate more players.
I've got several newbies wanting in on this one.
I foresee this being one of our top draw events in the future.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 11:32:07 AM by discglover »
Steven Disc Glover

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 12:12:40 PM »
Hey y'all,
   Thanks so much for the input from everyone. Tim and I have talked at length about the who, what, when, where, how and feel pretty good about this event. We will definitely pull from Slim, Timco, and Dan Cashen for their ideas on setting up an Ace Race course. Additionally, there will be field events between the two rounds i.e. Putting comp, Maximum Time Aloft, Longest/most accurate drive, etc. Tim and I want to make this fun, with lots of good ace runs, music, friends, and lots of prizes.

I am stoked to see this much interest in this already. The past Ace race prototype discs have been awesome. Perhaps you throw a Zone? It was proto two years ago. Last year's was killer before I lost it Down Under (I called it Buzz Jr.)For everyone with ideas on how to do this, we appreciate the positive. :) Details to come on Reg. and course layout. Remember, Most Fun Wins!

Eric 

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 01:55:03 PM »
Temp placements will take ALOT of planning to attaining extra baskets. If there is not a layout plan yet, I suggest getting the word out to get as many baskets as you can and go from there to see what you can do with what you got.
If there is a way to make 2 courses, that would be a way to accomodate more players.
I've got several newbies wanting in on this one.
I foresee this being one of our top draw events in the future.

Keep in mind that Swope has 9 red baskets and a ton of pin placements.  So while it does take some planning, it's not really that hard to set up.

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 02:08:25 PM »
What have been the ace race discs in the past years? Just curious. I am starting to dig a lot of the discraft mid range discs.
PDGA 39363