Author Topic: To PDGA or Not  (Read 10912 times)

coops

Re: To PDGA or Not
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 01:02:31 PM »
I could be mistaken, but did someone change the question posed by the poll? When I voted I thought it said pdga or not pdga... and now it appears my yes answer says that I would play city of fountains without pdga sanctioning, which I probably would not... Perhaps I read it wrong the first time, or perhaps someone is trying to be tricky.

Keizer

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2009, 01:03:57 PM »
Making disc golfers uncomfortable for the sake of sucking up to the corporate world who doesn't give a sh1t about us any way, doesn't make much sense. It may just be the pros for big events now, but as the sport grows this kind of thing will get worse until eventually there is a dress code for a players in all PDGA events. The fact that DG is so laid back is one of the reasons the sport is growing so rapidly. Collared shirts are for work, not play. I'm sick of conservative old white guy ideology ruining everything fun.

Now THAT was well said! (K-Mont, your post was great as well, I just don't share your views on this. You need only look to the X-Games crowd for proof that a "professional dress code" isn't necessary for a sport to achieve mainstream status and be featured on ESPfriggin'N and other reputable media outlets.)

Spencer, priceless man! Priceless!! :D

Ash

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2009, 01:39:46 PM »
Making disc golfers uncomfortable for the sake of sucking up to the corporate world who doesn't give a sh1t about us any way, doesn't make much sense. It may just be the pros for big events now, but as the sport grows this kind of thing will get worse until eventually there is a dress code for a players in all PDGA events. The fact that DG is so laid back is one of the reasons the sport is growing so rapidly. Collared shirts are for work, not play. I'm sick of conservative old white guy ideology ruining everything fun.

Now THAT was well said! (K-Mont, your post was great as well, I just don't share your views on this. You need only look to the X-Games crowd for proof that a "professional dress code" isn't necessary for a sport to achieve mainstream status and be featured on ESPfriggin'N and other reputable media outlets.)

Spencer, priceless man! Priceless!! :D

Great point about the X-games Keizer,I was thinking the same thing about the MMA after I posted that. Just for the record I can't stand MMA, however it is becoming mainstream very quickly with dudes covered in tats sporting mohawks representing it.
Ash Lawrence
KCFDC # 994

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Flock Kaw Chalka
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 01:50:40 PM »
I could be mistaken, but did someone change the question posed by the poll? When I voted I thought it said pdga or not pdga... and now it appears my yes answer says that I would play city of fountains without pdga sanctioning, which I probably would not... Perhaps I read it wrong the first time, or perhaps someone is trying to be tricky.

It's always been posted that way Cooper....Jack has a way of twisting words sometime........NOT only that but the vote is saying to NOT SANCTION....but Jack said he is going to....so what is the purpose of this vote????  To show us just how much Jack doesn't care about the popular opinion?  ;D

I think there are too many PDGA sanctioned events and not enough non-sanctioned events.....I dare you to compare the 2.  Heck there are more PDGA tourneys in one month than there are non-sanctioned in a whole year.

I understand what they are trying to accomplish with the dress codes and what not....but I think the sport is more like MMA or the x games than the PGA....I think the newer generations are liking those sports more as well because they are fun and entertaining instead of rule stricken and boring....how many people are allowed to dog pile around Tiger after he hits the last putt for a win????    None...or maybe his Caddy????  Now go check out the picture on the front page of this site and start counting the number around Avery.  This sport just screams for Happy Gilmore types.  Which is where my brutha Deano and I fit in!!!!!!!  ;D

Viva La Swope & Cold Beers!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 01:55:26 PM by Slant »
DaBirdFatha
Bird > Word
Flockers Unite

Keizer

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 02:07:59 PM »
Great point about the X-games Keizer,I was thinking the same thing about the MMA after I posted that. Just for the record I can't stand MMA, however it is becoming mainstream very quickly with dudes covered in tats sporting mohawks representing it.

I love watching MMA, I just don't like all the Billy Badasses in the crowd when you actually attend one of the events. I know a local MMA fighter (Eric Marriott), and have been to a few of his fights. Definitely a lot of testosterone going on in the crowd. Best to get VIP seating if you ever go!

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 02:15:19 PM »
Come on guys.... How is disc golf related to the x-games and MMA with regards to mode of dress at large sanctioned events? That's ludicrous. Guys in the x-games probably have a dress code that is more likely to be focused on safety than appearance. Asking them to wear collared shirts is like asking NFL players to wear spats, what's the f-ing point. As for the MMA, as much as I dislike that "sport" I would assume they have a similar dress code with regards to fairness and safety. All sports have rules that must be adhered to depending on the level of competition and different sanctioning bodies.

I realize disc golf is seen as an alternative sport and I embrace that. All I am saying is that I think it is perfectly fine for the PDGA to require its top professional players to adhere to a dress code during major events. There are photographers taking shots for national publications plus local news tends to show up and cover the event and we want people to see us as reasonable human beings. I in no way am advocating for the PDGA to start requiring slacks and Izod collared shirts. I think a clean collared or nice dry-fit type shirt should be fine. I honestly have no idea why I am arguing on the PDGA's behalf here anyway since I will never end up in a division or on a card that will be required to adhere to this dress code anyway.

This all started as an argument for or against more PDGA events in KC. I think a healthy mix to satisfy everyone in the KCFDC is what is needed. People that are not members of the KCFDC should keep their opinions to themselves unless they want to step up and run their own events. Come to think of it, Jack is asking because he will likely be the one running the events he is asking about. If you have a problem with PDGA or any other events why don't you step up and run one yourself instead of b%tching about the way things are done. For far too long in this town too few people have been doing far too much up front for all of the people that enjoy it to keep complaining about how it is done. You want things done differently, get off your ass and do it yourself.

Okay...  no I just sounded pissed off.  ::)  Maybe I need another vacation to recover from the one I just spent helping out at the Worlds.....   ;D
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

gtr

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 02:34:36 PM »
Well, I don't know about any dress code, but why I kind of like a PDGA event is it seems to be at least some way to organize players in divisions with players of similar level. It's not perfect by any means, and of course if you are just doing a tourney for fun then sandbagging and whatnot are not that big of a deal, but at least with a PDGA event I can look at my rating and see where I will probably have the most fun competing - against people that are at my level. So for a guy like me who is fairly new to all of this that is kind of a nice way to get in the right spot. So I like the concept of being able to just go out and play with buddies when I want, for fun or at a league - but when I want to more seriously "compete" then I like it to be a bit more organized.

JS
"We are living in the midst of a Creation that is mostly mysterious - that even when visible, is never fully imaginable".
-Wendell Berry-

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2009, 02:41:08 PM »
I think you all are silly.  Minus Kevin.  Not that I agree or disagree with him ( I agree ) but MMA?  X GAMES?  Is this what you want our sport to model itself after?  Come on.  No one has ever asked you to wear a collared shirt I'm sure.  No one will.  Unless you get to a higher level of play.   And at that point there should be a shroud of professionalism.  Most tournaments give you a dri fit shirt or polo of some kind these days.  Just throw that on.  It isn't much of a dress code.  Nor is it enforced nearly as much as any other sport.    I think getting all bent our of shape because someone wants you to be clothed while representing our sport isn't that bad of idea.

And to reiterate what Kevin said.  Get off the computer and go run a tournament.  non sanctioned / sanctioned, what ever!   Jack wants to run a PDGA tourney let him!  You aren't going to get out there and do it.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 04:30:40 PM by Nivek9 »
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2009, 04:04:09 PM »
a collard shirt

Keizer, I challenge you to find a photo of a "collard shirt."

RR

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2009, 04:30:09 PM »
That was Dick not Keizer....  oops....

Here... lemme fix that for ya....   ;D
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2009, 04:41:31 PM »
Typos aside, I think we should all at least TRY to represent legitimately. Dressing nicer when the media is around can only help. Cutoffs? Rarely. Denim is too hot anyway.
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2017: 107, 24, 16
2016: 1, 3, 18, 6
DD: 7, 108
2015: 3,2,39,2,66,33,3
2014: 3/57
2013: 4
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

Cade

• Administrator
  • Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2009, 04:50:46 PM »
Cade Garrelts
Prairie Center League Director
Lakeside Hills League Director

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2009, 04:59:52 PM »
I love how my point gets buried by my lack of spell check.   Without which most of you would have nothing to do.  SO.  fack off.  There spell check that.
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

Cade

• Administrator
  • Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2009, 05:04:11 PM »
Simmer down, just a little humor... your point is not lost. I happen to agree with you.
Cade Garrelts
Prairie Center League Director
Lakeside Hills League Director

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2009, 05:57:17 PM »
thes es un ahn guing theng.  Pepple lik te b dom
Dick Parker