Author Topic: An open letter to everyone in the KCFDC  (Read 1668 times)

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
An open letter to everyone in the KCFDC
« on: September 26, 2009, 09:25:09 AM »
This might seem a little bigheaded to some, but that's tough!!

I just want to say thanks to everyone who is part of the disc golf community in KC.  I was introduced into this world in 2002 and have really gotten a lot from it.  Friendships, life experiences, great fun times, and a lot of learning about a great sport.  I can't say thanks enough to anyone, and to single anyone out would be insulting to many, except one person:  Surfer Dude, Mark Arnold, who got me out there, loaned me discs to start, and introduced me to the game and to the core people of my experience.  He's not around much right now, but I think he'll be back.

Mark also introduced me to the KCFDC and the PDGA, and showed me the benefits of being involved at even the smallest level.  I highly recommend it to everyone!  Just reading the Worlds review in Disc Golfer gave me a great feeling, knowing I had a small part to contribute to the success of that amazing time.  Reading the article and knowing the exact places they all talked about, specific holes and hills and whatnot, made me proud to be a part of KCFDC.

But, it's time to move on, as some know.  I'm leaving town, at least for a while, to see what music offers.  It sure doesn't offer me much around here!  I"m off to New Orleans.  It's tough leaving here for a lot of reasons, but the disc golf scene is one of the few solid reasons to want to stay right now.  That's all of you folks, and the many others of the club who don't read this forum.

For those who AREN"T actual members of the Club, nor the PDGA, why aren't you?  You're just going to take advantage of everything, have it laid out for your benefit, and not give anything back?  THAT is being a bagger...Volunteer time is good, and needed from everyone, member or not, but that $20 says more in some ways.  This is already one of the bigger DG clubs in the country, from my understanding, but if everyone who looks at this website once in a while would be a paying member, it would be HUGE, and the local government entities would HAVE to notice.  Things would really happen, to benefit disc golf at one level, but actually help the entire community by improvements to parks.

I'll be playing at LaFreniere Park, with Nageeb hopefully!  There's not much in the DG scene in N'awlins, but maybe I can make a little contribution there too.  I have the best imaginable example to work from, and I really mean THANKS for everything.

I may be back.  I may not.  I'll certainly be back to visit sometime, and I plan to keep up with things through the board.  But I'll be one of those non-member readers, sad to say.  It's only been 7 years, but a lifetime of memories already. 

Best of luck to everyone, may your drivers follow your arm, may your midranges park, and may your putters develop a love affair for chains.

steve
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

matty

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: An open letter to everyone in the KCFDC
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 11:43:19 AM »
bye
putt, putt, give.

Keizer

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 02:08:24 PM »
Good knowin' ya Steve! Take care and good luck to you!

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 03:19:38 PM »
Best of Luck to you Steve...in all that you do!

Dan
816-812-6265
For a good time: Lat- 39°25'8.92"N, Long- 94°33'18.52"W

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 09:17:55 PM »
Steve, thanks for being such a positive influence and helping out not only at the Worlds, but elsewhere - it has not gone unnoticed  ;D  If'n you make it back to the Club Championships, I'll have a cold one for ya  :o
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

fisherman bob

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 09:55:34 PM »
I'll truly miss you Steve.  Please feel free to send me a Myspace friends request to myspace/fisherman bob.
You mentioned about people not paying $20 to join the KCFDC.  At Prairie Center there's a core group of people who play out there all the time and are not members, as I'm sure there are many people who play all of our courses who are not members.  The least these people could and should do is belong to the club even if they never participate in any club event.  Considering the countless hours we all volunteer on the courses the $20 fee is the least anybody should contribute.  I wouldn't say people are freeloading, but they need to understand that these beautiful courses wouldn't even exist without us, and the $20 is a tiny price to pay for being able to play for free just about any time they want to...

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 04:29:12 PM »
Steve! I will miss playing with you. You always made the round a lot of fun. And were just a fun guy to be around in general. I wish you all the luck in the world. May your music career provide much more dividends than your disc golf career! :) God Bless.
PDGA 39363

Loomis

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 08:46:01 PM »
Get the hell out of here already!!! Why are you leaving again? Music? You wanna play music? You can play music after you're body is broken down and it won't let you play disc golf any longer. Until then, you need to live where the disc golf flows like wine and the women flock instinctively like the salmon of Capistrano! And everyone knows that's Des Moines! So move up there.

No Christmas card for you!

Spencer

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 09:08:11 PM »
Good luck to you (and Izzy)! thanks for all your hard work making KC disc golf the BEST!

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 10:53:21 AM »
thanks gang...this sport is amazing.  I know I'll never quit playing, and I'll try to spread the KC Spirit wherever I go!
Bluebird ROCKS!

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 11:18:23 AM »
We'll miss you here in KC. Be sure to make your presence known if and when you return. And keep us posted on your status in LA. Always nice to know you have a friend in the area when traveling.

Best of luck my friend!

Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 10:03:48 PM »
Steve, it was good to meet you.  I had fun analyzing Ted's Dread with you.  Looks like DG Course Review trumped the PDGA course eval system. 

I liked reading your comments on the board and love your generous enthusiasm!  I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

fisherman bob

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 11:35:03 PM »
Get the hell out of here already!!! Why are you leaving again? Music? You wanna play music? You can play music after you're body is broken down and it won't let you play disc golf any longer. Until then, you need to live where the disc golf flows like wine and the women flock instinctively like the salmon of Capistrano! And everyone knows that's Des Moines! So move up there.

No Christmas card for you!

You gotta love a comedian :D

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 07:43:36 AM »
you think he's joking???
Bluebird ROCKS!

goat

• Am Poster
  • Punk Ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 03:59:37 PM »
Steve.  As a tuba player (I was often told that I was pretty darn good), I wished that I knew you a little better.  Sorry to see you go.  You will find a good gig in NO.  Play on. Live on!

Ken