Author Topic: Break in at Swope!!!  (Read 2794 times)

Rand

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Break in at Swope!!!
« on: October 30, 2009, 06:02:45 PM »
All,

I was slingin plastic at Swope today (around noon) and someone broke out my window in my truck.  After letting themselves in, they then helped themselves to my IPOD (which was hidden in the center console) and my backpack (it contained a full color Buzz and some clothing items).  None of the items stolen were visible from outside the truck.  I had parked by #4 basket on Elmwood.  I filed a report with the police and they mentioned that the thieves have been hitting cars at the zoo and surrounding area.  They have been targetting gps units in cars, although my gps was not in the truck, the mount was on the windshield, which is probably why they picked my truck out of the 3 cars parked there.  Anyway just wanted to put the word out so maybe future break-ins can be prevented.  It might be best to leave your electronic devices at home.

Rand
Is that pedestrian carrying a disc?

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Break in at Swope!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 06:10:41 PM »
Rand -

Sorry to hear that.  I have been trying to be very careful at Swope and Cliff Drive lately.  I have seen some suspicious characters around, and with it getting darker earlier...well, you get the idea.

Van
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

Fish

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 01:08:23 AM »
That sucks.  Sorry bud. 

I've had the same happen to me at Swope.  In the middle of the damn day.  And the sh1tty thing was I was only a few hundred feet away when it happened.  I started on 1, and got to 4 and went to my truck to get cigs, and my window was busted out, stereo and CDs gone.  I called the 5-0, and they took a report over the phone.  Never heard a thing of course.

I really hate thieves.

From talking around, it seems that the parking lot by hole #2 in hit less frequently.  You might try leaving an angry badger in your vehicle too, for added security and piece of mind. 
Nate Fishback

Keizer

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 12:04:34 PM »
Makes me wanna sit out there with my .308 and wait for a little target practice... >:(

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
as an FYI, in the last 8 years of working at Cliff Drive, I have heard of one incident with cars, and that was at my/Dicks B-Day party in 2007 I think.  Though I do not deny the suspicions I have heard far more tales of theft at Rosey and Swope (of course more people play there) than anywhere else.

Always be prudent.

Sucks.  I hate thieves, I have ahd more than my fair share the last few years.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 01:11:53 PM »
as an FYI, in the last 8 years of working at Cliff Drive, I have heard of one incident with cars, and that was at my/Dicks B-Day party in 2007 I think.  Though I do not deny the suspicions I have heard far more tales of theft at Rosey and Swope (of course more people play there) than anywhere else.

Always be prudent.

Sucks.  I hate thieves, I have ahd more than my fair share the last few years.....

I agree that we always need to be prudent.  I always lock my car, but as Rand can testify, that does not stop the more determined.

What I am talking about is like the last time I have played Cliff.  I decided to play the back nine first and then head into the trees for the front nine.  I parked by #10.  When I finished with #11, I looked back towards my car and someone had parked right behind mine.  When they saw me looking, they left.  Made me kind of suspicious, but I played on.  When I got around to #17, they were back and standing between their car and mine.  Again, once they saw me, they drove off.  I played all 18 with nothing happening, but it made me a little leary. 
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

kohjahk

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 02:11:23 PM »
I don't know what kind of frequency Rosedale experiences but it happens multiples times a year at Swope, during casual play, during leagues, it doesn't matter. It happens. I just try and stick everything out of sight in the trunk and lock up. So far I haven't been robbed but have seen quite a few others victimized.

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 06:12:22 PM »
Makes me wanna sit out there with my .308 and wait for a little target practice...

Great minds think a like sir...was thinking the very same thing/caliber.

Dan  :o ::) 8) ::) :o
For a good time: Lat- 3925'8.92"N, Long- 9433'18.52"W

slimneal

• Pro Poster
  • New bridge, new day
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 07:18:19 PM »
Oddly enough, one of the best deterrents to break ins is to leave nothing valuable in your car and leave the windows down. Of course it really helps when you drive a crappy car. (Like mine)
I also recommend parking on the lots by 7 teepad. Just don't crowd the area by the main entry gate. There is P&R traffic most of the day from 7 til 5.
I have seen suspicious cars and am reporting their license plates. Not a great  solution, just a potential realization that they are being watched while they are watching us.

SLIM911

I throw a whippet with mucho mungo
But it turned over and coondogged a tree

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 09:17:18 AM »
you mean 6?  7 is by the shack.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Keizer

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 01:04:01 PM »

Left my keys sitting on top of my car for an entire round at Cliff, then spent about an hour looking for them before finally returning to my car where they were there waiting. Never felt so lucky!

kohjahk

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 01:33:04 PM »
Left my keys sitting on top of my car for an entire round at Cliff, then spent about an hour looking for them before finally returning to my car where they were there waiting. Never felt so lucky!

Beckett once left his truck running while he played the round, all 18, at Cliff Drive!

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 01:46:07 PM »
badck when 14 was 1, so we never went back to the truck, it sat there running the entire time......craziness for Beckett to say the least!

He has donw crazier things though, it just goes to really show you, you can't be safe anywhere, until 2006, I had more problems in my high profile neighborhood in JoCo than I did at my crib, but then the summer of '07.......changed my view forever.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »

The bad guys must have been at Swope   ;)

I left my driver side door open at Rosey one day - nothing missing  :o
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 02:49:47 PM by CD »
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 03:04:41 PM »
I left a cooler full of beer in the back of my truck one day at Rosey while playing down under. We left a little cooler with a sixer in it sitting by #12 while we played #10 and #11 down there and it was gone when we got back to it. Then we finished the round and got back to the truck to find the cooler where I left it but empty. I don't play much casual golf at Rosey anymore and that's one of the reasons. Leagues, tourneys, etc... but crowded casual days bring a different crowd altogether.

Thieves suck.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org