Author Topic: Course Installation  (Read 5711 times)

"Woody"

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Course Installation
« on: November 10, 2009, 06:27:16 AM »
Theiss, How did the anchor sleeve installation go last week?  I have not noticed this design on other courses, but the concept seems to have much practicality, as long as they are protected from the mowing crew.

Regarding the status on the baskets, has there been a decision on the type of basket, and is there a date for the baskets to hit the ground?  This is a work day that I am looking forward to...   ;D

Planning on heading to the course sometime this week to check out the bridge by 16 and 17.  If they did as good of a job on the bridge, as they did on the footings, I'm sure it does look first class!

Bryan Harrelson

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Course Installation
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 09:58:46 AM »
All anchor sleeves have been installed.  I have not seen this before on a course, but it is a nice concept. 

I was out there last Tuesday afternoon and they had a crew out there working. The bridge between 16/17 looks fantastic.   I would imagine that the second bridge would be finished by mid week. They are also building some smaller walking bridges and the forms were set and poured last week.   All the dirt work around the pads has been finished and been seeded.  The tractor should be in this week dropping seed throughout the course.

The baskets are Mach V's powder coated with Orange Blaze.  They are going to pop in the woods like DU's baskets.  They were in the shop when i was there last week and have not been assembled yet.  It is Roscoe's goal getting the course open by the Fall so we will see. 

Ghostrider

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 11:48:59 AM »
I had a job over by the HS so I thought I'd see where the course was going.  Found it and it looks like it's going to be awesome.  It looked like tee pads were already in place.  Looks like it may be a mix of Yates and DU, am I right in that thinking?

Doing a great job, I'll try and be there whenever the next workday is.

Kent
"The most powerful and predictable people-builders are praise and encouragement." - Brian Tracy

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 04:19:02 PM »
Tee pads were in months ago.  Most of the time you want to wait awhile on a new course and see how the course plays before you starting pouring pads.  However, Young park is land locked so not as many options.  You know that a whole has to be here or there and the same goes with the tees.  They are some of the nicer tees  in KC.  They are 15x 5 (3 feet longer than some others courses)and there are two tee pads on 17 holes.  The short ones are very short but that is great for families,beginners and casuals. 

john

bbman

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 03:16:37 PM »
Walked every hole out there today and this is going to be a one of a kind course in KC. Everything looks great out there. Pads are huge, bridges are really nice. The second lake or drainage retention looks really good as well.

I cant wait till it's finally open.

Keep up the good work John. Also let me know if your going to have another work day soon.

Brad
Rosedale Down Under CC 2010

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 06:33:49 PM »
what are you doing walking and not playing on a wonderful day like today?   I got the pleasure of playing 2 and 1/2 rounds today-p hill, yates, and legacy.  you are right, Young park is looking good and it is definately different for KC.

and how about Legacy?  It was looking real good.   Get out there and  play it folks!  It is all mowed down and some minor tree work has been done. 

bbman

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 09:09:57 PM »
Have the boy all weekend and he's not a big player yet!!!! So we decided to check it out. We did play at Lucy Franklin today. I guess 9 short holes is better than none.
Rosedale Down Under CC 2010

Eric

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 07:22:38 PM »
Is there a date set for baskets going in here???

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 10:46:30 AM »
Good question.  I have not been told an exact date but baskets will be before May 22-23..  The parks dept never got the seed down before the winter which was a mistake.  It needs to be seeded still and if we have a wet spring it could get really messy.  I am recommending that they do not open it up untill mid May.  We are going to have a tourney May 22nd or 23rd.  I would like to see some grass taking hold before they open it up.  There was a great deal of dirt work out there and erosion could quickly become an issue.  Who wants to play in a big old muddy mess?

jbriz

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 08:47:44 PM »
Just spent 4 hours at wyp with John working on some clearing of ground cover and tree work. This course is going to be awesome.

hyzerponix

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 09:35:08 PM »
I tried, but John doesn't trust me alone with a sprayer apparently... :D

Can't wait to see this course, hopefully I can lend a hand with the work before the inaugural tourney...

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
The course will look great in three weeks.  When folks come out, they must remember that this land was the most nasty rough land imaginable. Look at some of the areas between the holes, and that is what this land used to look like.  We are working hard on getting the course ready for the event.  i have put in 20 hours this week and with all the help we are looking at over 120 hours of volunteer service this week alone.  The parks dept has been very proactive and is supporting our spraying work.  The grass is growing rapidly and in some places it looks like a soft velvety golf course.  Other areas are still rough in spots, but the seed is coming in strong.  We have 20+ days to the opening weekend, and with the rain and warm weather, the deep seeded grass will explode and be covering nicely.  Give the parks and rec a couple and years and this park will look top notch.  Mowing will not be a future  issue.  The parks dept is on top of the mowing. 

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 10:26:51 AM »
Great work John!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 11:38:08 AM »
I want to thank all those folks that came out for the first wave of work this week. 

The first wave was Kent Turpin, Matt Hayes and his buddy James, and Brad Berve-spraying
Wave two was Bryan Harrelson, Drew Neitzel, and John Friend and his posse from William Yates-spraying
Wave three Jamie Brizendine for pole saw work and vine removal/poison application.

I am hoping to put together a couple more waves next week. We are systematically hitting the park for round two of spraying.

The last couple weeks before the event i will be spot spraying and minor tree work.  If you are interested in coming out and helping private message me. 

Thanks to everyone this past week. 
John

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 11:31:57 AM »
if anyone can or would help, we will be out at young park again tonight, TONIGHT the 4th, spraying ivy.  please come if you can, the tourney is less than three weeks away and there is plenty of tree line.

bring a sprayer if you have it.  10 bucks at home depot if you don't have it.  Mike Keizer now's your chance.

it will give you a great chance to see all the work that's been done.  you won't be sorry.