Author Topic: 2010 pdga Mo events  (Read 1619 times)

Captklank

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
2010 pdga Mo events
« on: November 17, 2009, 11:58:54 AM »
I would like to run a couple of events this next year.I will be bringing it up at the EC meeting this coming week.Need to get things on the Pdga Schedule soon.I am Planning a Ladies Only B-tier and a Large AM only event using Waterworks ,Cliff Drive and Blue Valley.Not sure if these will be Club Events or not .Just wondering How much support is out there .Give me some feedback
Team Ls Discs

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 pdga Mo events
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 12:13:43 PM »
What approximate dates are you looking at to run these?  Keeping the Am event as a non PDGA event probably wouldn't be as effective as sanctioning it.  Most Ams are concerned about points, player ratings and such.

Also, why do you want to run the Women's only event as a B Tier? 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 12:18:01 PM by Furthur »

Captklank

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 12:15:37 PM »
Working on that with the pdga as we speak.Any suggestions.
Where did u get the not sanctioned part?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:34:56 PM by Captklank »
Team Ls Discs

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 12:22:18 PM »
I assume sometime in the 1st half of the year.  As far as our traditional events go:

Kan-U-WyCo - March
DUI - March/April
Mighty Mo - April
Swope Spring Renewal - April
Cooperate Challenge - May
KC Disc Golf Day - May
KCWO - June

Would recommend doing the women's event after the Cooperate Challenge, since that Saturday has the largest contingent of women playing in KC on one day.  You can promote that day.

Captklank

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 01:30:03 PM »
Was planning something a little different,A sunday wouldnt work .Does anybody have the numbers of these events ,Are we Growing these events every year ?What are the goals of these events ?If You Lived out of Town would you come Because the events were that great , Or would you come because it is KC and we have the best courses?
Team Ls Discs

Captklank

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 01:33:34 PM »
What approximate dates are you looking at to run these?  Keeping the Am event as a non PDGA event probably wouldn't be as effective as sanctioning it.  Most Ams are concerned about points, player ratings and such.

Also, why do you want to run the Women's only event as a B Tier? 

The am Event will be Sanctioned at least a B-tier.

Because a C-tier is just a glorified mini.And it shows either we cant raise money because it has already been tapped out or because nobody wants to .
Team Ls Discs

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 01:54:53 PM »
Personally, I think that you would be better served to discuss with the EC, instead of putting it out here.

I run the Mighty Mo as a C-tier, because I don't have time to raise money, and I think that it is silly to give the PDGA more money based on the event level both from a standpoint of entrie fees, and sanctioning fees.

You should also realize that Thornfield will undoubtedly have at least 4-5 events that are charity driven during this time frame, they typically will have at least 60-80 people out there on these days.

I guess I think that you should sit with the new EC and really figure out what you feel is your goal, and see if it aligns with the KCFDC.

The goal of the KCFDC is not to line the pockets of those people playing in events, it is to promote the sport of disc golf to people of all ages, so making some money to help finance that goal has typically been my vision.  We run the Wide Open as the money maker for most people, the otehr events are to help our courses remain in shape, and to enjoy bringing in people to play on great courses that no other part of the country can offer.

Realize that people have been helping running events in Kansas City for over 25 years, and some of them are the same people......You need to ensure that you are looking in the right direction.  You also should seek some of the history, as we withdrew our proposal back in 2004 for the US Womens Nationals, and we had some good topics there.

Getting information from the folks reading online is not the answer, the answer is get the information you need from the people that step up and do the work, and make the events happen.  Also you must realize that the KCFDC has contracts with most of the municipalities within the metro area to help protect all of our interests, so going away from the KCFDC for any event, could be met with some harsh criticism from the parks people.

I guess what I am trying to say, is slow down, wait until your first meeting, bring it up, discuss, see what the EC thinks, and then collectively come up with a plan that works.

That is my suggestion.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Becky S

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 02:10:50 PM »
Getting information from the folks reading online is not the answer, the answer is get the information you need from the people that step up and do the work, and make the events happen. 

That almost sounds like you are saying that the people reading online don't step up and do any of the work. That only the EC does the work. And only those who've "always done it" are the only ones with any wisdom to impart.

Captklank

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 02:11:18 PM »
In my first post I asked for feedback to see what kind of support there was

I also said I was going to bring this up at the EC meeting

My goal from the first event I ran 17 years ago was and will always remain the growth of the Sport as a WHOLE.

I have the utmost respect for the people who came before us and some of whom are still there.In no way am I saying anything wrong or bad about anybodys event.I simply asked for numbers and goals .If that question bothers someone Maybe they should ask themselves why!

I was just trying to see how much support was out there .

Change is never a Bad Thing
Team Ls Discs

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 02:23:06 PM »
Getting information from the folks reading online is not the answer, the answer is get the information you need from the people that step up and do the work, and make the events happen. 

That almost sounds like you are saying that the people reading online don't step up and do any of the work. That only the EC does the work. And only those who've "always done it" are the only ones with any wisdom to impart.

No, I am saying that he should use the resources available first Becky, and then possibly post for insight.  I think that it is clear that plenty of the people that do the work are on here, but some are not, also some of the people online are not going to know all the information as to what can/should be done in the club name.  With over 600 people online accounts, and only 300 active members, there are more people online that are not club members than are, and therefore the reasoning mind would know that you need to talk with the people that will make the event happen.

It is not to diminish the work that people do, but rather to have a unified front to a question from a new board member that should hopefully wait until the next EC meeting (Tuesday) to get some insight, and then post, what they feel is more aligned and mirrors that of the organization as a whole, and the body of elected officials that it has chosen to lead.  IN just really feel that he put the cart in front of the horse on this.

The internet posts do not do the work, the people that get together and put their collective energies together to make these events happen do.  You are well aware of that for the countless hours that you gave this past year, and what I am indicating is that is a better approach than posting an open forum discussion without having enough information to truly start at.

I am not trying to belittle the internet, it is simply a tool, and a tool that I feel has its merits, but overall, phone calls and communication individually may be a much stronger approach.  Once some ideas are in place, then post, I am thinking of doing A-B-C, if it was here, how would you help, and see the responses you get from that approach, instead of opening it up to people that may have ideas, yet no knowledge of the boundaries that we are enclosed by.

Not trying to be mean, just stating my individual points as a member of the club, and how I feel things should be done.  This of course is my own opinion and not those of the EC, because, I am not on the EC.  So my support would come only from the support of the officers that I elected at the meeting, not in a discussion in the forum.

Hope that helps.

Billy, I started to talk that way with you yesterday as well, I hope you understand where I was coming from.

Becky, its not that everyone can't help on-line, its just that most don't.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Becky S

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 02:36:04 PM »
Jack,

I guess it just gives me pause, when someone who is asking for input or opinions on a subject from the discussion board is discouraged from doing so.

I agree that getting advice from the EC is important, but the EC is a very closed entity. The minutes from the meetings are not usually posted, and the meetings are never announced so that anyone interesting in the decisions being made could attend. So, the message board is one of the few places for the "other" club members voices to be heard.

People more quickly step up to support that in which they have ownership. Having a place to provide input on a topic fosters that feeling.

Back to my cave now. :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 02:40:04 PM by Becky S »

Captklank

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 02:43:58 PM »
Why are there so many  inactive members?

Jack I did not mean to imply that C-tiers were bad .As a Player I always like getting something for the money i spent to travel to the out of town event.and the B-tier gave me that even if I played bad (most of the time the case).

Becky You Have a PM.

Team Ls Discs

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 02:48:01 PM »
I don't think that there is anything wrong in getting input, I just think that in this case that it would be best served to have this discussion after he has made it through the first meeting, and has a better idea of what this group maybe thinking.  

As for your other concerns, I tend to agree, there is quite a few items that I think should have been done differently, and I for one am just as much to blame as the other.  Part of the reason why I decided not to run again, the main reason though is that I am tired of not seeing things done as I would have liked to have seen them.  I felt as though my time over the last 10 years of donation was a good place to leave.

It does however boil down to the simple argument, that it is an all volunteer organization, and as such, you can only get out of it, what those volunteers put into it.  Overall we are a pretty darn good group of people.  Some items just do not always get done as they should by those that volunteer.  We have people that do what they say, and we have those that don't.  It does not mean that they are bad people, it just means that its not what we get paid to do, and life happens.

I have yet to see an entire year go by where someone does not follow through on items and it hurts the people that are stepping up to make it happen.  By asking where people might stand on the item now, without any guidance is simply (in my opinion) just asking for people to step up and offer help and not follow through.  That is the best way to lose someone new to the group (billy) that has energy to make things happen, yet feels that people may help, but that help is not solidified, because of the internet posts.

Not even going over those that help, but looking at people that say, yeah I'll play, put me down for sure........thats not event doing work, thats just saying you are going to play, and that happens every week in here.  Now holding them accountable to the online offerings.....I think that it is a recipe for disaster and disappointment.

Again Becky its not a good ole boys network, its an all volunteer organization that some people do more than others.

Don't go back into a cave, I think that you brought up some good points, that I am sure others agree with you on, and that discussion is much more aligned with topics that I think should be here instead of asking who might help with events, or whaddya think about an event that may or may not happen.

Again only my opinion....a lone club member.....
 :o
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 02:52:18 PM »
Why are there so many  inactive members?

I wasn't talking about club members, merely talking about the internet users.  I can guarantee we have internet users that are not club members.

My C-Tiers always have shirts or discs for the players, then cash for the pros.....so if you play well as a pro, you get money, otherwise, I try to keep the am entry low so that you play for the am status of playing, not for prize sandbagging, and you get our great courses. 

Its a personal thing with me, I think that too many Am's expect a big payout and the reality is that they should be playing for the love of the game, if not, then step up.  As the TD, I relay my beliefs in the system that I feel it should be.  Right or wrong, if I run it, I run it my way.  Just me being the LEO that I am, and ensuring that what I feel is fair, is shared.  Hopefully then as well, those people traveling will think its a cheap event, and can spend more money in my community, which in turn helps us all out in the long run.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Captklank

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 02:59:20 PM »
Bieng only a couple days away from bieng a LEO myself I have some of those same tendencies.And I have been accused of Bieng hard headed at Times.I did not mean to stir the pot,Only wanted to get an idea of what the people think.

I have spoken to a few EC members and was shocked at the response I got .
But I will not post those ,they will remain where they are supposed to be.
Team Ls Discs