Author Topic: Legacy Progress  (Read 1548 times)

dclabe

Legacy Progress
« on: November 17, 2009, 10:37:48 PM »
I've talked to Steve Casey of the Lee's Summit Parks Department a couple of times recently.  I've also talked with Brian too.  Since Brian has just started a new job, I wanted to post an update on the  improvements at Legacy....most of this was outlined on a email from Brian to Steve...

All of the "rough" has been mowed to a height of about 6".  The course looks great and plays a lot faster.

The Lee's Summit Parks department is going to move the baskets according to a rotation schedule that Brian gave them.  I would expect to see some movement this week.

On hole #14 they've trimmed the locust, which makes the hole much more playable.  They will trim the lower limbs on the locust throughout the course to a height of about 6'(I confirmed with Steve that they were only trimming the locust). The other varieties of trees will only be trimmed as required for mowing.

Parks Departmnet transplanted several Junipers between the fairways of holes #10 & #11 (removed from medians).

I discussed some revisions to alternate pin placements with Steve, when it fits with Brian's schedule, I'll run them by him.

All in all very positive discussions with Steve, and good progress on the course. 

If you haven't had a chance to play the course, give it a try.

Ghostrider

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy Progress
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 08:11:35 AM »
That's awesome, since summer ended I've noticed a lot of progress out there.  Keeping those roughs down will make it a much more pleasurable experience.  I think the layout is good, but the rough kept me and a lot of others from regularly going out.  Nice to see some different pin placements coming.  If there is ever a work day out there I'd be happy to help as I live about 5 min from the course.

"The most powerful and predictable people-builders are praise and encouragement." - Brian Tracy

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 01:11:31 PM »
  If there is ever a work day out there I'd be happy to help.

I agree, I dont live too far from there either and would be happy to help out.
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 07:27:18 PM »
It is very nice to see that Steve Casey and the parks dept are making some changes.  I was pleasantly surprised by the number of folks out playing today at Legacy.When driving into the park i jokingly asked, "is there some kind of tournament out here?" The parks dept has put money into this project and it has been a shame that the course was not getting the foot traffic.  However,

"if you cut it, they will come."   

I definately understand the concerns and complaints that you constantly hear about (whether on the board or from park users) how ridiculously tall the rough is and  the nasty locust thorns.  However, the changes have made great improvements.  We got to applaud Steve Casey and their efforts.   How nice is it to be able to see across the fields and fairways?  Of course it is also great becuse you can find your discs easily.  I saw several rec groups and some coed groups and they were able to play at a decent pace.  That pace does not happen when the rough is super high and so tight.

It is great to see how much nicer the whole park looks with the mowing.  Every time i went out there to play, i felt like i was in my grandpa's  cattle pasture that boasts nasty locust and hedge thorns.  The parks dept is moving in the right direction by trimming up trees in the fairways.  Some fairways are actually resembling disc golf fairways that offer players reasonable escape routes or just reasonably safe places to walk without getting stabbed by thorns.   

Of course their are many problems with their design, but it is nice to see progress.  This is a step in the right direction and their actions will increase the foot traffic in the park.  I would really like to see the LS parks and rec put more trust into our course coordinator.  Although, it is nice to hear that they are taking recommendations from Brian but how about giving him the opportunity to do some of the minor tree trimming.   Or hey here is a crazy thought...how about a work day where the KCFDC gets the course trimmed up to disc golf standards.  Our club is responible for bring the worlds biggest disc golf tournament in history to KC and we probably are somewhat knowledgeable in tree trimming.   It is not a woody course, so why have all your trees looking like they belong in a nasty over grown woody conservation area.   This is where Blue Springs has done an excellent job with Young park.  They understand what type of course they have and they trust in my judgement.  They allow me the freedom to do the trimming necessary to make a hole fair, safe, and presentable.  Bryan Harrelson and myself dropped a big tree and made huge piles of brush and they were on it.  It really is not much different with so many of our other courses and their respected parks depts. 

Dan is very accurate with the subject-Legacy Progress.  It is great to see progress and i hope it continues and i  would be glad to volunteer out there for any work day. Keep up the good work Steve Casey and LS parks and rec.

John

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 10:36:08 PM »
All parks departments tend to make a good final cut at the end of the season in most parks. Before we get too excited lets see how well they keep up with that mowing next season when it has to be done every couple of weeks instead of once with a several month break. With that said, I look forward to getting out and throwing there soon after hearing all the great things about it. I thought it was pretty nice the first time I played there.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Keizer

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 11:00:34 AM »
I played Legacy a couple weeks ago, and it was the first time I made it through the entire course without getting pissed off at something, whether it be the mud, water, tall grass, or whatever. It was nice to have an enjoyable round out there for a change, so keep up the good work, BP and LSP&R! Things can only keep improving out there!

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 02:08:40 PM »
the course does look much much better.  it's great that the parks and rec guys get to see the fruits of their labor in the form of a full golf course.  it's been packed the last two weekends.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 03:29:35 PM »
I am anxious to see if the "rough" mowing continues on the schedules that they have said would be used.  The rough areas should be getting mowed once a month, starting next spring.  Look for some new tee pads and new basket positions to be set before next season too.

Dan Coffman and I played a few holes last Saturday and we have some "mad scientist" type ideas for improving some mediocre holes and making some of the long, tough holes even longer and tougher!