Author Topic: Call for Disc Golf Course Designers  (Read 42262 times)

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
Re: Call for Disc Golf Course Designers
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2010, 11:15:16 AM »
JB Rolling Hills, Lamoni, Iowa uses a lawnmower to define the OB, tall grass=OB........that's how I played the Smithville 9 anyway.
espouse elucidation                                               Be excellent to each other

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2010, 12:28:29 PM »
JB Rolling Hills, Lamoni, Iowa uses a lawnmower to define the OB, tall grass=OB........that's how I played the Smithville 9 anyway.

They use to Jamie. They changed that rule the last time we were there.  Though I did appreciate that .  The main reason they did that was because every fairway touched another fairway. 
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2010, 02:24:03 PM »
Do you know if the parks department is willing to plant more grass?

They are going to let us make all the reccomendations we want and I have a feeling that as long as they make sense and enhance the area, they should not have a problem with any of it.

Dan
For a good time: Lat- 39°25'8.92"N, Long- 94°33'18.52"W

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2010, 07:49:34 AM »
Just on a logistics note. Is Smithville Lake really prepared to adequately to service (mowing, trimming, trash) for 3 courses?

It is already the best mowed park in town...they know what they need to do. Good question though. Seems my job is to make sure there are NO surprises for anyone...US or THEM!

Thanks to all who participated in the basket discussion. I see the situation more clearly now!

Wanting to keep an open mind on all t-box options, I still have concerns over the circular t-pads. Mainly in construction and excavation issues. I am going to check in with the Fountain Hill’s folk about their 10’ round pads. What they learned, how they did it and the reaction from those that play on it.

I know the designers are still working their butts off with all the land walking and such. General guidelines say walk for at least 8 hours…I know they have done more then that and we will have many more hours of walking and testing BEFORE anything gets set in stone…OK…concrete! THANKS GUYS!!!

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2010, 12:43:19 PM »
Just Spitballing here, but has anyone looked into Rubber Tee Pads instead of concrete? I've never used them so I am in the dark. But I know several courses have them. Obviously there could be the issue of keeping them level, but its at least an idea. Not sure if it is any more cost effective. But when putting in 3 courses, it couldn't hurt to look into.
PDGA 39363

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2010, 01:02:45 PM »
They fall apart over time.  Not worth it unless you can NOT do concrete for whatever reason.
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2010, 01:10:36 PM »
Not worth it unless you can NOT do concrete for whatever reason...

Relax boys...concrete is in the budget!

Dan  :o

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2010, 11:36:36 PM »
KC Disc Golf Club gave encouraging words to the 'Ville Complex idea tonight...THANKS GUYS!!!

Dan  8)

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2010, 11:41:47 PM »

Wanting to keep an open mind on all t-box options, I still have concerns over the circular t-pads. Mainly in construction and excavation issues. I am going to check in with the Fountain Hill’s folk about their 10’ round pads. What they learned, how they did it and the reaction from those that play on it.

Production issue(s) solved...photos and step by step production plan drawn up and approved. (I will review in the am and make all the photos)

Now...what do people think about round t-pads?

Waste of concrete or genuis?

Dan

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2010, 01:03:47 AM »
I'm sure they would be nice.  Here's some possible negatives though.

-They don't point to the pin, which is not helpful to first timers at the course.  If really good signs were installed & course maps available at the course, this might not be too bad.
-What can they do that a trapezoid cannot?  Run up sideways?  Seems a trapezoid gives more room for run-ups. 
-A 12' trapezoid costs less than a 10' circle.  What were the numbers? 
-Most importantly, if the expensive circles cut down on the chances of having dual tees, that would be a shame.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 01:05:19 AM by Schoen-hopper »

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2010, 07:38:37 AM »
Not saying we're gonna build these but if we were, here is how I would want to do it...the 10' circle t-pads that is!

Lay 10' Master over desired t-pad location and mark outer diameter-

Remove master & clear grass and dirt, make level as much as possible-

Lay 10' Master back over desired t-pad location, screw bender board around master and secure with stakes as indicated-

Once staked, unscrew master and remove, add rebar or mesh, fill with colored concrete, screed, float, rough broom finish, edge, let cure, remove form and enjoy!-

Dan  ::) :o ::)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 07:41:37 AM by Lefty »

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2010, 08:04:32 AM »
another option would be to contact Wilson Precast Concrete here in KC and get a quote for these big round fellers. They could cast em, deliver em, and with some grade work to set em level, they could be set in place. You could even have some recessed lifting lugs in em if you ever wanted to pick em up and relocate em.

I always like a huge tee box myself. 10' dia may not be big enough. I would suggest simply building boxes with the same dimensions as Wyco's tee boxes. The only problem with boxes that big are the nuisance helicopter landings that sometime occur.  ;D

Concrete structure design is what I do a lot of, so if ya have any questions about concrete I can usually come up with an informed opinion.  ???

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2010, 09:46:33 AM »
Large round concrete pads are genius. Tee signage should be away from the pads for unobstructed safari routes for sure.
espouse elucidation                                               Be excellent to each other

coops

« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2010, 09:54:28 AM »
I like the trapezoids, but maybe on a few of the more open holes the big circles make sense. The pads don't have to be uniform throughout the course, just look at Blue Valley! Maybe the case by case on  each hole would make a lot of sense.

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2010, 10:18:04 AM »
If you do not keep things uniform, it becomes very troublesome for those pouring the pads.  Anytime pads go in, there can be a great deal of problems due to the lack of disc golf knowledge of the workers.  Ask Dirk.  When they start pouring and forming problems can arise.  Some folks from the club will need to be there to avoid any problems.  I have a pad a Young park that is off by a couple feet, even though it was marked with flags near the pad and then marked wiht flags 50 feet in front of the pad to help line it out. 

Keep it simple or plan on being there for every pad poured.