Author Topic: Call for Disc Golf Course Designers  (Read 17173 times)

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Call for Disc Golf Course Designers
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2010, 06:00:20 PM »
On the tee pads, if you want to offer more run-up angles, wide at the back is better.  Making them wide at the front doesn't do the same.  Say you want to throw an RHBH annhyzer, you would normally start at the right side of the pad and finish towards the middle or left.  But what if the left side is blocked out by a tree, then you are running up from off the pad or taking a crooked run-up.  Just saying, it isn't the same.  Multiple options off the tee is usually good.  But balancing the risk / reward for each route is difficult.  By doubling the front edge dimension of the pad, you may make 2 to 3 options into 4-6 and one of them makes all the rest obsolete and thus destroys the balance.  On a tunnel shot style hole, where there is one basic route, something like this wouldn't be a problem, but still wouldn't be better than big in the back, unless the intention is to give more options, make the hole easier.  5' is plenty on the front of any pad- you never see anyone slip off the sides, it is always the front because the pad is too short or it isn't level in the back so players can't add to their run up from beyond the pad.

coops

« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2010, 07:11:06 PM »
On the tee pads, if you want to offer more run-up angles, wide at the back is better.  Making them wide at the front doesn't do the same.  Say you want to throw an RHBH annhyzer, you would normally start at the right side of the pad and finish towards the middle or left.  But what if the left side is blocked out by a tree, then you are running up from off the pad or taking a crooked run-up.  Just saying, it isn't the same.  Multiple options off the tee is usually good.  But balancing the risk / reward for each route is difficult.  By doubling the front edge dimension of the pad, you may make 2 to 3 options into 4-6 and one of them makes all the rest obsolete and thus destroys the balance.  On a tunnel shot style hole, where there is one basic route, something like this wouldn't be a problem, but still wouldn't be better than big in the back, unless the intention is to give more options, make the hole easier.  5' is plenty on the front of any pad- you never see anyone slip off the sides, it is always the front because the pad is too short or it isn't level in the back so players can't add to their run up from beyond the pad.

Yes! That is what I've been trying to get at but didn't want to take the time to write all of...

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2010, 09:57:12 PM »
Innova made in China...

Really...you got documentation for this sir?

I got a couple of Innova stud champions on my advisoral committee....

We need to tread lightly here sir but you got my attention...

Dan
For a good time: Lat- 3925'8.92"N, Long- 9433'18.52"W

Keizer

« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2010, 03:00:47 AM »
I'd like to see American-made DGAs used as well, but given most disc golfers affinity for foreign vehicles (Hey, we're in the midst of our worst economic state since the Great Depression, let's send more money to Japan and Korea! Fuggin' douchebags...), I don't think it's going to matter to most casual players. ???

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
Baskets, DGA Mach III  powder coated.  Don't settle for anything less.  Innova made in China, DGA made in USA.  Get it together sir.  And Tom sorry to slam on your baskets. 

Mach III would be my second choice. They catch pretty good, but Innova Discatchers catch discs better than any other target made. If they are truly made in China, then it sucks that an American company can't make a target with as good a catching ability. 

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2010, 07:34:02 AM »
Mach III would be my second choice

What about Mach V's?

Dan  ???
For a good time: Lat- 3925'8.92"N, Long- 9433'18.52"W

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2010, 08:28:28 AM »
I believe III's are the top of the line from DGA. I'd recommend Discatchers from Innova or Mach III from DGA. Discatchers are available in a bunch of different colors. I tried to find out if Innova baskets are made in China, but cannot verify that. Even if they are, since they catch best, and are available in a range of colors, I'd still recommend with Innova.   

coops

« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2010, 08:40:45 AM »
I like Innova too... and it isn't just because DISCatchers are $150 dollars cheaper than Mach IIIs. (a piece, not total). Overall I'm OK with Mach Vs, I think they play better and look better than Mach IIIs but they still aren't as good as DISCatchers.
And I agree with Tom, let's buy the best baskets here, regardless of where they may or may not be made.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2010, 10:29:45 AM »
American made state of the art(iron age)--------Gateway Titan Pro-24 baskets should be considered. BTW the traditional number plates damage discs, be innovative with flags or dome tops(no nickel). FYI circular pads lend the most creativity for artistic drives, I'm not a huge fan of directional pads, although BV pads are the best I've ever seen so far.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:35:51 AM by jamidanger »
espouse elucidation

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2010, 10:48:20 AM »
The Titan basket is pretty intriguing. Anyone tried one out yet? It sounds like it s a pretty beefy basket. They show a red one, but not sure if they can do other colors, or if the red is just a practice basket? Not sure. Plus it says that any 18 hole course installation also gets 300 custom stamped discs. Perfect for the first Smithville Tournament or 2 :)

http://gdstour.com/gateway_titan_portable_disc_golf_basket.php

I will say that i know some people don't like the innova basket. Not sure about the USA thing, but I think if one of the premier disc golf courses in the world, (if not THE #1 course) Winthrop Gold, home of the USDGC, uses AMERICAN FLAG Innova Discatchers then that is a pretty good endorsement as far as I am concerned :) Nothing against the Mach baskets. I like them too, but if they are really $150 more, this seems like a no brainer.
PDGA 39363

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2010, 11:42:24 AM »
Baskets, DGA Mach III  powder coated.  Don't settle for anything less.  Innova made in China, DGA made in USA.  Get it together sir.  And Tom sorry to slam on your baskets. 

Can you get the Mach 3's powder coated?  I thought it was only the 2's and 5's.    I do not think the 3's are listed under the options for powder coating, but i thought that i remembered seeing a picture of a Mach 3 powder coated on the website one time.  I remember thinking how cool the 3's looked powder coated. 

Interesting debate on baskets though.  It seems that so many people are divided between the M3's and the Discatchers.  I know that Olatha's baskets are getting up there in age, but the rust on the belt looks nasty.  that has always left kind of bad taste in my mouth.  If you pay big bucks for hunks of metal, you expect them to last.  Plus, some of the chains at Legacy were showing some signs of rust.  i talked to Innova about that when i was looking at baskets for Young park. 
John

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2010, 01:50:46 PM »
Gateway Titans can be played at the newer courses in the Lou, most notably Unger Park(along the Meramac River). They're beefy for sure, built to last a lifetime and very heavy to move. I'm not sure of the prices per basket or cost for powdercoating, but I'd have no problem spraypainting them, maybe change colors every few years or so, or even just for a St. Paddy's tournament.
espouse elucidation

coops

« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2010, 04:31:02 PM »
DISCatchers are $150 dollars cheaper than Mach IIIs. (a piece, not total).

Where do you guys think that $150 savings comes from? (hint: manufacturers have saved a lot of money that is passed on to the consumer by having products made at overseas locations)

I was wrong, it is only $120... and that is according to DGAs website.

As for the belt rusting too quickly, that has not been my experience at all... The baskets at Olathe have been in a long time and they are still in great shape. They may have been repainted at some point, I don't know, but whatever was done, if anything to them, they still work really well.

And as for hating the 'clank' the belt makes when you miss too high, I have a really good remedy for that. Don't miss too high! No, seriously though, I love the belt at the top not only because it is highly visible but also because it doesn't damage your disc like the nickel on top of Mach IIIs or even the stubby look at the top. Plus, I've seen a lot of guys make putts on Mach IIIs that hit where the belt would have been and then they do like 3 summersaults, a backflip, and a half lutz. Those putts are lucky and they should be avoided if at all possible.

Keizer

« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2010, 04:48:57 PM »
I will say that i know some people don't like the innova basket. Not sure about the USA thing, but I think if one of the premier disc golf courses in the world, (if not THE #1 course) Winthrop Gold, home of the USDGC, uses AMERICAN FLAG Innova Discatchers then that is a pretty good endorsement as far as I am concerned :) Nothing against the Mach baskets. I like them too, but if they are really $150 more, this seems like a no brainer.

A lot of people sport American flags on their Toyotas and Hondas, too. I'm sure those standing in unemployment lines take great consolation in that. ::)

Anybody wanna buy a couple of Chinese made DB5 baskets? I didn't know they were made in China until after I'd bought them, and I'm looking to get rid of them for $100 apiece.

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2010, 11:22:46 PM »
Gateway Titans can be played at the newer courses in the Lou, most notably Unger Park(along the Meramac River). They're beefy for sure, built to last a lifetime and very heavy to move. I'm not sure of the prices per basket or cost for powdercoating, but I'd have no problem spraypainting them, maybe change colors every few years or so, or even just for a St. Paddy's tournament.
I like the idea in theory Danger, but in my experience, spray painting is a good way to ruin a basket if it gets on the chains.  the chains really need to be removed before spray painting and reattached after the paint dries.  chains with paint tend to be stiff with less action.  speed of putts becomes more critical.  putts slightly high especially, tend to have no chance.  lot of work for a st pattys day tourney.  stick with green clothes, green discs, green beer, or anything else green that might make your irish holiday round more fun.
Drew D Neitzel