Author Topic: Call for Disc Golf Course Designers  (Read 17533 times)

coops

Re: Call for Disc Golf Course Designers
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2010, 07:45:33 PM »
between the two i'd rather have colored baskets

Colored baskets are a must...that way no one gets confused and plays across different courses.

Oh the troubles of building a Complex...will it never end?

Dan  ;D

And they are just sweet looking!

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2010, 10:27:11 PM »
Do you know what kind of baskets you are going to be getting? You gonna get the Sunking ones like Down Under? I really liked the Neon Green DGA baskets they raffled off at worlds.
PDGA 39363

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2010, 10:33:52 PM »
Do you know what kind of baskets you are going to be getting? You gonna get the Sunking ones like Down Under? I really liked the Neon Green DGA baskets they raffled off at worlds.

We are currently looking at all brands...the designers are going to make their recommendations and we will go from there. The nice thing about the DU baskets is that they come in about 5,000 colors...and that aspect will be very important to the complex!

It seems like that style does not allow for the traditional hole marker on top...or can it?

Dan

PS- That manufacturer is Disk King!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:44:59 PM by Lefty »
For a good time: Lat- 39°25'8.92"N, Long- 94°33'18.52"W

Keizer

« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2010, 11:12:31 PM »
The finish on the DU baskets is already starting to chip. Just sayin'...

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2010, 06:42:34 AM »
I hated the Discatchers we have at Prairie Center when they first went in. The clang sound when you hit the band too high was just irritating. After playing all types of baskets though, I now like Discatchers the best. They catch better than anything out there, and are very visible at a distance too. Try to get Discatchers at Smithville.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2010, 07:07:08 AM »
Only come in 1 color.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

coops

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2010, 08:02:01 AM »
Tom,
That is going to be my recommendation because I too think they are the best catching baskets available. And they do come in multiple colors, they are more expensive, but so is every other kind of basket when you get it colored.

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2010, 09:43:56 AM »
The finish on the DU baskets is already starting to chip. Just sayin'...

Is this a concern...just how bad is it?

More than normal wear and tear?

coops

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2010, 11:16:56 AM »
I don't know about the wear but I do know a lot of people who have complained about the gauge of chain used in those baskets as being too small and allowing too many spit-outs. I think it is really important to put in the best catching basket we can to keep players happy and not feeling frustrated.
(I know that players will always complain when a putt falls out, but I think if we do everything we can to reduce that it will go a long way to keeping players loving these courses)

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2010, 11:35:32 AM »
My problem with circles is that it doesn't limit, enough, the area from which the throw should happen. The Trapezoids are good, in my opinion, because they allow multiple angles to be taken towards the desired launch point and don't make people step off the sides of pads but they also limit the launch point to what the designer has designed. The trapezoids don't have to be very pronounced to make a difference either. Maybe 5' on the front and 6' at the back and 12' long.
One other thing that can be really good to save a little bit of money in the budget (so we can use it elsewhere :P) is only making the full big sized pads on the bigger holes and the holes that are around 300-350 or less can have a smaller (though still spacious) version since those holes don't require as big of a run up. Just a thought.

I agree with this.  If I could shape a tee any way I wanted: 12' trapezoids bigger in the back would be the way to go.  And on short holes, a standard 4x10 could easily work.

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2010, 01:15:21 PM »
If I could shape a tee any way I wanted: 12' trapezoids bigger in the back would be the way to go....

So you mean the way Cliff was supposed to be...small end pointing towards the basket!

We debated and debated over that one at Cliff...some felt it might limit future hole ideas of we did that.

In all actuality...you could have some going both directions couldn’t you? (if future hole placements might be an issue due to soace or surrounding obstacles!)

Dan  :o

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2010, 01:49:28 PM »
I don't see any reason you would want the small part of a tee pad in the front (basket side)...everyones approach is different and for tall guys....more room at the front of the tee pad is always appreciated....you don't feel like you're running out of real estate as fast.  Bigger side of the pad in FRONT!!!!
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

coops

« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2010, 01:53:49 PM »
I think the idea isn't so much to make the front of the tee pad smaller as to make the back of the tee pad larger (and give is some snazzy wings), that way people can approach the front from several different angles but still have a launching area similar to most other tee pads.

dclabe

« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2010, 02:27:07 PM »
The wide end should go to the front, it will give you more flexibility for future pin placements.   A good example is #5 at Swope, with pins both on the left & right.  One pin's shot is a anhyzer, the other is a hyzer.  The pad doesn't change the shot....it just gives you room to execute it.  An example where this teepad style would be handy is #9 at Olathe....when the pin is left, a righty backhand approaches across the teepad and essentially throws off the side of the pad.

coops

« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2010, 02:33:26 PM »
EXACTLY!!! If that pad were a trapezoid with the narrow end at the front the RHBH player could throw the same way that they do with help on the tee pad (since they are approaching the shot from on the wing of the tee pad and not from off the tee pad as they currently have too). The narrow end at the front makes it to where they don't have the ability to take too much of that initial tree out of the way and to make the hole too easy.