Author Topic: Call for Disc Golf Course Designers  (Read 16324 times)

Kevin Simpson

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Call for Disc Golf Course Designers
« Reply #195 on: May 14, 2010, 12:58:51 PM »
Ok. You guys win. My child-like innocence has been shattered, and Jack is the most qualified candidate for Director of the PDGA.

In all seriousness, though, I'm just as grateful as anyone for all the work that's come before to make this city such a great place to golf in, and I retain cautious optimism that those efforts can be expanded and enriched.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 14, 2010, 01:16:43 PM »
Ok. You guys win. My child-like innocence has been shattered, and Jack is the most qualified candidate for Director of the PDGA.

In all seriousness, though, I'm just as grateful as anyone for all the work that's come before to make this city such a great place to golf in, and I retain cautious optimism that those efforts can be expanded and enriched.

It doesn't pay enough, I was asked if I was interested in it when it was open, and the move to Northen Georgia made no sense to me.....

Over time it should get to the point that people will understand the standards and need to have that qualified individual to design, implement, and construct a course.

Currently in Kansas City there are 2 certified disc golf designers, myself and John Theiss.....(John got certified this year, I was certified in 2004)

Its a small sport where everyone thinks that they can design a course without thinking all options/pitfalls through.  Every project lends new insight into what can and can't be done on a property, and having a skillset and knowledge base of that information can help expedite and minimize errors on a design/build.....it also takes trust in the person that you work with on both sides of the fence, those that want it in, and those that control the land.....

Its a tough racket, but then thats why there are less than 10 that do this on a FT basis as their sole income, and even those 10 have other income streams to support the ventures....its not a profession yet, but over time it may become one, just doubt it will be my lifetime.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 14, 2010, 02:30:13 PM »
I get paid to design stuff. Been gettin paid to design stuff since 1981. Sometimes I get paid to go watch the stuff I designed get built. Some times there are Disc Golf courses nearby so I take my discs and play while I'm there. It's a tough life.  :D

How does one become a "certified" course designer? Who provides the certification? Is it like a Professional Engineers license, governed by the State?  ;D

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 14, 2010, 02:36:45 PM »
I get paid to design stuff. Been gettin paid to design stuff since 1981. Sometimes I get paid to go watch the stuff I designed get built.

Designing stuff right now.  I'm building it too.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 14, 2010, 02:40:50 PM »
I get paid to design stuff. Been gettin paid to design stuff since 1981. Sometimes I get paid to go watch the stuff I designed get built.

Designing stuff right now.  I'm building it too.

Me too.  And I get paid for it.

hyzerponix

« Reply #200 on: May 14, 2010, 07:40:34 PM »
Everybody's a designer these days... ::)

You all should hear yourselves... :D

coops

« Reply #201 on: May 16, 2010, 12:57:21 PM »
I get paid to design stuff. Been gettin paid to design stuff since 1981. Sometimes I get paid to go watch the stuff I designed get built. Some times there are Disc Golf courses nearby so I take my discs and play while I'm there. It's a tough life.  :D

How does one become a "certified" course designer? Who provides the certification? Is it like a Professional Engineers license, governed by the State?  ;D

http://www.discgolfcoursedesigners.org/discgolfwiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page

It's on there.

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 08, 2011, 09:46:09 AM »
I'd have to say I think Cooper and Dick's layouts are going to be real good, and if they aren't we can all make fun of their designs, and talk about how dumb this hole is or that hole is, and throw dog poop on them, and never offer them beer, and kick em in the nads.

Reading this again, 18 months later...this is some funny sh!t here boys and girls.

Come play Beaver and laugh at Dick!!

DcW  8)
For a good time: Lat- 3925'8.92"N, Long- 9433'18.52"W