Author Topic: Shock and Awe!!!  (Read 6460 times)

coops

Re: Shock and Awe!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 07:51:41 AM »
I think one important thing to remember is that for disc golfers trees can be our bunkers... sure pits in front of the pin would be cool or St. Andrews type bunkers would be awesome, but those types of things take A LOT of maintenance to keep water out of them and erosion under control. Shrubs and big, wide, low hanging trees like the conifers at Prairie Center both optimize the level of strategy that is needed to successfully play a course and they minimize the amount of upkeep required. All that being said, I do like the idea of mounds sort of like the ones at Blue Valley that force players to commit to shots, but those should be integrated within the somewhat more traditional raised basket employed at Winthrop. I think those kinds of mounds would be more useful as obstacles in the fairway or directly guarding the pin than they would be to have the pin sitting on them.

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 09:24:36 AM »
Back in '02 I played a KDGA OZ tourney in Hutchinson, KS where the dg course was an old converted stick golf course.  The local/tourney rules stated that if you landed in a bunker you MUST throw some kind of overhand shot (tommy or thumber) to get out.  I thought this was a nice twist...much better than a penalty stroke.
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

bensdadfred

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 09:52:30 AM »
                             Cooper, The topic of this forum is shock and awe, though! Trees are the essential part of our challenge more often than not, but we are looking for ideas to build upon what we already encounter. Bunkers, if implemented could be created with more irrigation friendly means that would require less maintenance too. Maybe not even sand?
                              Otter, a nice twist maybe in casual golf or beer league or homie etc. Or, any round with Slant. But in the "show", that's known as shim sham and/or circus golf. Fun, nonetheless... ;D
2 Things: Don't sweat the small stuff & everything is small stuff!

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 11:04:53 AM »
Certainly trees make the best obstacles.  And if you have conifers to work with, then you are really lucky.

The mound / bunker idea was for if there are areas on the course where the greens are wide open.  This can turn a boring hole into something interesting.

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 11:14:12 AM »
yup
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Flock Kaw Chalka
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 11:58:40 AM »
                             shim sham and/or circus golf. Fun, nonetheless... ;D

I resemble that remark.....

It takes a "special" kind of people to hang with the Deano & Slant circus.... still looking for qualified dancing ladies to join the team though.....Fred....tryouts are this weekend!
DaBirdFatha
Bird > Word
Flockers Unite

coops

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2010, 02:08:12 PM »
                             Cooper, The topic of this forum is shock and awe, though! Trees are the essential part of our challenge more often than not, but we are looking for ideas to build upon what we already encounter. Bunkers, if implemented could be created with more irrigation friendly means that would require less maintenance too. Maybe not even sand?
                              Otter, a nice twist maybe in casual golf or beer league or homie etc. Or, any round with Slant. But in the "show", that's known as shim sham and/or circus golf. Fun, nonetheless... ;D

If you have an idea about how to make those bunkers then by all means... I've got some ideas for making bunker type obstacles but not bunkers in the traditional sense (holes in the ground).

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2010, 02:42:06 PM »
Make 'em throw out using the hand opposite the one they used to land in there!

...just sayin'
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2017: 107, 24, 16
2016: 1, 3, 18, 6
DD: 7, 108
2015: 3,2,39,2,66,33,3
2014: 3/57
2013: 4
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2010, 02:43:28 PM »
Make 'em throw out using the hand opposite the one they used to land in there!

...just sayin'

Sure, you would say that......    ::)

Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2010, 05:44:23 PM »
Taking the mound idea further, you could extend it farther towards the tee, or close to that direction.  So instead of an "anthill", you have a "hogback".  The accurate drive or upshot that lands on top and on the correct side of the pin has a flat putt.  To expect some shots to land on top there would have to be a large enough flat area on top.  So compared to the anthill idea, this would take a lot more dirt.

The reason I like the elevated green idea is that it is one of few easy ways to make an unprotected pin more challenging.  OB is another idea, but I don't think it should be closer than about 30' to the basket.  For one, that isn't as much fair as it is lucky with the way shots roll off the baskets.  And if it is much closer than that, you next putt is from a gimme distance.

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2010, 07:10:31 PM »
  OB is another idea, but I don't think it should be closer than about 30' to the basket.  For one, that isn't as much fair as it is lucky with the way shots roll off the baskets.  And if it is much closer than that, you next putt is from a gimme distance.

Thinking of that made me rethink my moat idea.  It would be way cooler to have the moat surrounding the green at the 30' mark.   ;D
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

coops

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2010, 07:15:57 PM »
The reason I like the elevated green idea is that it is one of few easy ways to make an unprotected pin more challenging.  OB is another idea, but I don't think it should be closer than about 30' to the basket.  For one, that isn't as much fair as it is lucky with the way shots roll off the baskets.  And if it is much closer than that, you next putt is from a gimme distance.

Or the elevated basket can make the protected green (usually by OB not trees) pretty terrifying.

CHAS.

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2010, 06:37:12 PM »
A good size mound but still mow-able would still be a challenge for a lot of players. Either going for a strong putt at the bottom of the  mound risking missing or possibly face masking and rolling down the mound or missing cleanly and landing on the other side side of the mound. It would least make a challenge for myself going for it or laying up to it then a easier putt or drop in putt. Just  remember there be a lot of REC. players like me playing the course. Just my .02 input.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2010, 06:55:50 PM »
The more gradual the slope is, the higher you can make it!  But that is a lot of dirt!  Good time to do it before spring and get the grass planted.

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2010, 07:43:24 PM »
Just  remember there be a lot of REC. players like me playing the course...

Tentative plans would include more than 1 course, each with a higher (or lower) degree of difficulty and courage required.

If one of them scares you...simply step it down a notch...

Or man up!!!

Your choice!

Dan  ;D
For a good time: Lat- 39°25'8.92"N, Long- 94°33'18.52"W