Author Topic: 28th Annual Wide Open - Countdown to 30  (Read 15779 times)

Jily Wily

Re: 28th Annual Wide Open - Countdown to 30
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010, 03:11:19 PM »
Responding to Rick's original query as to 2 in 2, 3 in 2 or 4 in 2, of the PDGA events that I have played, the ones I've enjoyed the most are the two rounds on one course different placements each round per day events.  Although it can be fun running all over to get to multiple courses to say you've "Played" them, as a player my second round is always more relaxed playing the second round at the same course. You also avoid out of towners getting lost and not having time to eat or rest between rounds.  Being on a time limit and being lost is very stressful.  Now as a local, you may know how to get from Rosedale to WW in 15 minutes or less, but one simple wrong turn could turn that into a 45-minute drive with the player running from their car to their tee with barely a bathroom break. (Although I know some players wouldn't mind beating their opponents that way.)

Okay, that's my two cents..

From someone just off of a 100 days, 27 states, 89 rounds` 63 courses, 11-tourney road trip....

Jill "Jily and Wily" Pierce

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2010, 12:32:03 PM »
It is a lot of work on the staff to move the baskets though for a volunteer group.  It also increases the challenges of having minsinformation in the scorecards, programs with distances etc, and players notes.  It really asks an awful lot of your staff to do it this way.

I do see the advantages though of having one course to make it work, wher you have 2 courses in a park it is mush easier to make this happen.  We only have one location in town to do that currently, Rosie, and it does not sound like DU is going to be in the mix.

I typically like to at least visit the courses that I will be playing, even if it is only to get acclimated to the area so you do not get lost, but then I haevn't tried to do 63 courses in 100 days, but I bet I could get to that #, just not sure about all those states.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

treemd

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2010, 09:03:12 PM »
Ive played in tournements that have every card move the basket of the hole they finish on.  Then all the staff has to do is unlock all the pins before the first round and flag the location of the basket for the second round.  it actually works real well for changing pin locations between rounds at the same course.

just an idea

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2010, 10:51:39 PM »
Except when they don't get changed which happens quite often unfortunately.  But it is a good thought in theory.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2010, 11:08:54 PM »
Except when they don't get changed which happens quite often unfortunately.  But it is a good thought in theory.

Then you just need someone to drive around and check their work. Move them if they didn't get moved. worst case scenario is some poor schlub has to move all the baskets themselves, best case, they get to go to lunch early after seeing the baskets moved as planned.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 07:23:43 AM »
Ok maybe I should put it this way.   I don't think a  player should be expected to "WORK" at a tournament.  Not saying we'll have alot of out of towners but I know I don't like having a job to do when I would rather just play golf. 
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...

Jily Wily

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2010, 09:14:57 AM »
I concur players shouldn't have to work while playing and the tourney's I've been to that alternative placements have taken place on, the people who moved the baskets were not playing...

Two of the tourney's were actually DD tourney's, one they had alternate Tee's, the other a combo of alternate tee's and pins that were already in place but covered so the only thing the non-playing volunteer did was remove the cover and re-cover the used pin. Tee placements were already clearly marked for both rounds before the start.

Don't forget - running from one course to another could be like working for a player, too... (Unless they get extra time - like if the drive is 20 minutes they get 30 to drive and an hour for lunch.)

Just throwing thoughts out there... All tourneys have their stronger points and kinks that need to be worked on.  KC does have a lot of nice courses to play different ones each round. I have not played in KC since they new ones started going in and I'm looking forward to getting to know the new ones. Shawnee is the only new one I've played and it was cool having Deer walking off the course so I could throw and then just wandered back out after like they knew what I was doing.  The one round I played on my "Tour" that I didn't bring my camera, go figure...

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2010, 09:35:52 AM »
Ok maybe I should put it this way.   I don't think a  player should be expected to "WORK" at a tournament.  Not saying we'll have alot of out of towners but I know I don't like having a job to do when I would rather just play golf. 

I've moved plenty of baskets at events I was playing in and really didn't mind but this was in KC on a club course and was asked to do it personally. I do think it would be impolite to ask a random player to move a basket at the end of the round now that I think about it. Better to assign the duty to a volunteer(s). Come to think of it, I seem to remember playing an event where people were asked ot do this and several didn't. So the second round pin changes never happened. That's not good...
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2010, 11:08:57 AM »
agreed.  See.  I'm not THAT useless :) .  I personally will have different pins to play at the KAN U WYCO march 14th. ONLY 85 spots left!  Help learn a course before you may possibly be playing it in the KC WIDE OPEN !!!  . 
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2010, 11:50:44 AM »
I am going to ask DEANO or MIKE D if they will let me use their golf cart to take care of that.  I would appreciate the help for sure.   AND  so would the people who run the...  KC WIDE OPEN!  :)  Sorry, THIS way I can't be blamed for getting off topic.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2010, 02:03:47 PM »
I would actually like to see the 2011 and 2012 KCWO go to a format with separate Am and Pro weekends. I think it would help in recruiting volunteers from each group to help with the other event.
[/quote]

I think that idea has some merit for sure, and I know it has been talked about.  It really follows the NT format much better as well.  Have the Am event the weekend before, and then maximize the Pro the next.  It hurts in some traveling issues, but it helps locally not to strain as much, but you also have a bunch more work to do as it is 2 events instead of 1.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Brad Lenheim

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2010, 08:12:13 PM »
This is just a thought why doesnt someone post a poll that everyone can vote on and the majority rules as to what option we pick.  Then when that is decied, we poll what courses to use and we let the people who look at the site! be apart of making this decission for it.

porkchop

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 02:58:01 PM »
Some more thoughts from North of the Boarder …… I like the 3 or 4 course options, playing 4 rounds.
I like the 3 course option the best, however I dislike the idea of playing the same course the same day, as that makes one day boaring; I like the chance to clear the brain before I attack a course for a second time. One of the best events in Iowa is LOD, a two day event played on 2 courses; you play both courses each day.

It would look something like this ...... Ex) Pool A – Course A, Course B; Course C, Course A ..... Pool B – Course B, Course C; Course A, Course B

I also dislike the idea of playing BV in a four round event; I would also exclude Olathe and Shawnee Mission. The ideal courses to me would be 3 of either Water Works, Cliff Drive, Swope, Rosedale or Wyco. I would def want Wyco and WW.

Just a few more cents from Des Moines ...... take it for what it’s worth

coops

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2010, 07:50:21 PM »
Anything ever decided on this?

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2010, 09:39:55 AM »
If so, I doubt that it would get posted on here.  Once the finalization process comes along, I am sure that there will be a flyer announcing the decision of courses, and what divisions.

You really can not run an event online in a forum.  You have to figure out what makes the most sense for you as the TD, and your staff that will help to make those determinations.

we are spoiled in that almost all of our courses are pretty darn sweet, so regardless of the course configuration, you will have a fun tmie, with challenging courses to test your game.

I would imagine that a flyer would be oput relatively shortly though as we are fast approaching the kick off to leagues!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"