Author Topic: tee boxes  (Read 3183 times)

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
Re: tee boxes
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 01:53:06 PM »
I drove past the Tupperware headquarters in Florida once and had to pull into the parking lot just so I could say I did.

You would. Are you part lemming?? Just askin...
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

dogundertheporch

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 02:23:51 PM »
there is nothing wrong with the tee pads yes they are a little above ground but that is better than no pads at all. I have no problem with it,and there even pointed in the right direction at the front of the pads. I have seen worse in some towns or they just wished they even had tee pads period.

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 03:23:18 PM »
Have you seen the teepads in Ottawa, KS? Don't even ask.
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 07:55:14 PM »
I predict the SMP parks folks will backfill around the tee boxes one of these days. That is what they need is some backfill, and fertilizer and grass seed, and maybe while they are at it they can re-locate the tee signs and have them all a uniform distance from the box and facing the correct direction. I don't really care though cause I usually don't fall off boxes much, and I kinda know the holes so I don't look at the signs much, and I like to play out there during extended lunch hours with my co-worker disc golf buds Brian (theredneckpunk) and Rand (Iran), and sometimes C.D., so it's all good. I'm just glad they put a course in out there as I work just 5 minutes away, and it's a real nice park, and I don't have to pay anything to play there, and there are lots of kewl trees, squirrels, deer, and fox. :D

slimneal

• Pro Poster
  • New bridge, new day
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 08:44:32 PM »
Regarding Ottowa
Yes I have, damn Rotarians.
The name is Kanza Park just north, of 15th street off 59 highway/main street. Look for the sign on the west side, parking on the right. First hole right by the parking lot, going north
I'm sure they meant well. KCFDC old timer Mark Martin told me he designed the course. I can't imagine why they didn't take his suggestions.
To the uninitiated, the "teepads" are about a 3' long triangle pointing to the basket, unmarked, and pretty much not visible from the preceding basket, especially in high grass.
The course layout is OK, but lies in a creekbed that also acts as flood control, so be aware if you visit after a local downpour.
The park is nice and has many amenities, walk/bike paved trail, kids areas, water, parking and diligent federales, (just sayin' see thread, alcohol/bottles). The park itself acts as a central recreational conduit from downtown almost to I-35, so the park is long and skinny. The walk/bike trail advocates seem to understand the disc golf influence and will stop and watch as you may cross paths. Or maybe its fear for their own protection. Wow it just hit me, Thats why they wear helmets, even the walkers. There is local college population that plays.

http://www.kansasdiscgolf.com/kdga/content/view/71/27/

MydaughterlivesinOttawaSlim

I throw a whippet with mucho mungo
But it turned over and coondogged a tree

Spencer

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 09:21:13 PM »
If you are looking for tiny teepads you can also try Great Bend, KS.  There is a short 18-hole course in a war-memorial park that has a bunch of old artillery cannons and crap all over-the whole course plays around a small lake.  The teepads are small rectangles that are about 3 feet wide and 5 feet long-almost square.  You have to run up and get your steps perfect to avoid throwing from grass.  Even with limited land, almost no elevation, and tiny teepads, its still fun! (10 rounds or so I have played there in the last 2 years I have never seen a SINGLE golfer using the course other than myself, so check it out if you are ever unfortunate enough to have to spend time in Great Bend and enjoy tiny teepads). 

dafoxman

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 10:33:14 PM »
it just amazes me w/ that all the constant work and effort to better all the local KC courses and now it seems w/ this POST i put up to find out whats up and what may b done to IMPROVE upon current status..(far from quoated 5' by 16'  per dirk)  now all of a sudden its ok if our course has tee boxes cause its better than 1 w/out pads at all?  sorry some of u feel that way but i think if we can make it better then why settle for 'ok'.  as for the "children" who think i am to blame for an opinion...i'm easy to find

Brian

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 10:39:05 PM »
who are you Brian?

There has been some discussion of forcing people to post their full names as their screen name or as the signature on all posts. Brian is making a good argument for that requirement.

You will all know my last name when Im dominating at the Kan-u-Wyco. Until then you can call me Brian, or Giant Douche, or whatever.  Once my schedule changes in a few weeks i will put the computer down, and let my discs do the talking.

i'm easy to find

I'll look you up in the white pages under "complainer"

dafoxman

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 10:56:52 PM »
brian u seem to b one of those little yappin dogs bouncing around yappin just to yap til one day u get too close and  get squashed...and noone even looks back

Dirk

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 11:27:59 PM »

The backfill of tee pads came up in my discussion with the Parks last week. They plan to address the back fill issue when the weather gets warmer. We're aware of the necessity, and thanks for your concern.

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2010, 08:33:21 AM »
Are there plans to do the same at cliff (backfill)?

Just curious.....
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2010, 08:43:04 AM »
I threw at SMP yesterday for the first time with pads. I think they're fine. A little more narrow than some but they have a nice rough surface and are plenty long enough. But too narrow to be safe? Not really. I can see why Matt raised the issue but the cost and work involved in replacing them certainly isn't necessary, they're fine.

I did see some large piles of mulch ready to be spread on a couple of holes in some muddier spots. That will start to address the issue of some of the mud. But that's a problem we will have in most courses when it's as wet as it's been.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 10:46:04 AM »
Are there plans to do the same at cliff (backfill)?

Just curious.....

They have been, except for hole #6, unless you know something that I don't......or haven't played there since July.......

A couple of them need to get hit again, but they have all been already.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2010, 09:25:59 AM »
The smallest concrete tee boxes in the state of Kansas, and possibly in the entire country are in Pittsburg's Lincoln Park.  :o

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2010, 03:53:20 PM »
The smallest concrete tee boxes in the state of Kansas, and possibly in the entire country are in Pittsburg's Lincoln Park.  :o
If these are smaller than Ottowa then they must be like trying to throw off a concrete slab the size of your dog.

BTW How is this Brian dude posting in here and still be a Guest?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 03:58:06 PM by discglover »
Steven Disc Glover