Author Topic: Disc golf in Colorado in late april?  (Read 934 times)

gunar

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Disc golf in Colorado in late april?
« on: February 23, 2010, 02:56:39 PM »
Is there anyone out there familiar with CO based DG and how playable the courses are depending on the weather? My band is playing 4/19 in Fort Collins and 4/20 in Breckenridge and I'll be chillin in between shows. Anyone know of any courses in Denver that would be possible to play in snow? I'm not exactly sure what the weather will be like but I don't want to miss an opportunity to throw plastic at a high altitude. Cheers

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Disc golf in Colorado in late april?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 04:54:58 PM »
Since I grew up in Colorado, I can tell you about the weather you will get...for the most part, you will probably get really mild temps during the day,and it could get down to the low 30's at night in mid-late April.  You should not run into too much snow, at least in the lower elevations like Denver.  However, Breck will be less than a month after thier ski season, and there could be plenty of snow up there in Summit County.  As well, temps will probably be 15 degrees cooler at the higher elevations.

As for courses in Denver/Breck, sorry, I cannot say much.  I played only in Colorado Springs when I lived there...but they have a couple of decent ones there. 
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 05:26:13 PM »
If you can get there and it isn't snowed over, play Beaver Ranch in Conifer!  (just SW of Denver).  Phatom Falls nearby is a cool private course. 

West of Denver, I hear Ghost Town is a must see.  Private, call first.  There are a few other mountain courses in that area, but I think they are seasonal and some are out of commision permanently.  You should check out dgcoursereview.com.  This will help you plan your trip.

Denver has a few course in town that are OK.  Camenisch, Johnny Roberts, Birds Nest, a few others.

Ft. Collins has beautiful Edora Park.

Red Feather Lakes (NW of Ft. Collins) has two wonderful mountain courses.  Don't know how much snow, seems like it could be decent in late April.  The only I've played in CO better than these is that Beaver Ranch course in Conifer.

Leo D.

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 05:32:14 PM »
Arvada has a couple. Johnny Roberts which is the local fav, plays along a creek. Birds Nest is the other which is very scenic with elevation but really wide open. My hands down fav was Badlands. A lot of elevation and water. There is also a 9 hole section within the 18 hole course called "Blair Witch Project" & its pretty narly! You should also consider "frisco" its top notch.
iscraft Golf Discs

Spencer

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:46:24 PM »
You should also consider "frisco" its top notch.

I 2nd that -I have played Frisco a few times if the weather permits it is a fun course and just down the road from Breckenridge.

gunar

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 09:16:39 AM »
Thanks guys. Yeah Sirbronco, 4/20 is the very last day of Breck's ski season and the end of their Spring Massive festival.. Going to be a fun gig. :)

I really want to play Frisco now, I spent a lot of time at a house near Dillon Lake growing up, we would drive over to Frisco to go shopping. So thank you for that suggestion.

Thanks and keep em coming!

Leo D.

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 11:39:33 AM »
Eh, got confused, the badlands course i was referring to is actually "camenish", (thanks mike for the correction). Badlands is in Colorado Springs, (another great course)
Have fun!
iscraft Golf Discs

kreutz21879

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 01:14:30 PM »
leadville  thru the pines.

frisco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!dont leave w out playing
Justin Kreutzer
PDGA# 21879
Grip Tight, Throw Hard, and Pray!!!

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 01:20:34 PM »
You should also consider "frisco" its top notch.

I 2nd that -I have played Frisco a few times if the weather permits it is a fun course and just down the road from Breckenridge.
3rd..easter seals park outside of Denver (west of redrocks about 20-30 miles) is also a good place, that should be relatively safe from snow....not as challenging as the Frisco courses, but I heard that a beatle infestation destroyed quite a few of the courses up there....it still nice, and you play amongst horses...
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Spencer

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 02:10:07 AM »
but I heard that a beatle infestation destroyed quite a few of the courses up there.

the pine beetles have definitely devastated the course in frisco over the last few years.  I played it twice in recent years and the difference was dramatic.  My buddy has a place in keystone and he reports it gets much worse every year (i was out there in 05 and 07, and he says it is WAY worse now as far as tree loss).  SOOOOOOOOO, play it NOW before global warming and those damn beetles ruin the course forever!!!

gunar

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 07:49:52 AM »
but I heard that a beatle infestation destroyed quite a few of the courses up there.

the pine beetles have definitely devastated the course in frisco over the last few years.  I played it twice in recent years and the difference was dramatic.  My buddy has a place in keystone and he reports it gets much worse every year (i was out there in 05 and 07, and he says it is WAY worse now as far as tree loss).  SOOOOOOOOO, play it NOW before global warming and those damn beetles ruin the course forever!!!

Word. I have a musician's bucket list.. You know, musicians I have to see perform live before they kick the bucket. It's sad that you're thinking of a disc golf course in the same way. But it's also valid. Now I just have to make sure my mates don't give me too much sh1t for packing my plastic in the van next to our gear. haha

Mile High Golfer

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Shots
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 08:40:56 AM »
Make sure you post your schedule on our site - more than likely the locals will be happy to show you around and let you know about the course conditions!

April is tricky it could be really nice and dry or it could snow..

http://www.mhdgc.org/
Kiss the Sky - Aspen Mountain - Losing your Discs never felt this good!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottshots1/

gunar

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 09:37:39 AM »
wow your website is awesome.