Author Topic: March pin settings  (Read 1232 times)

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
March pin settings
« on: March 02, 2010, 09:37:47 PM »
Summer leagues are approaching so get out and practice.  Here are the march pin locations in play for the first three monday leagues (with exception to the weekly trial placement.)

1:  Only
2:  Short
3:  Only
4:  Long
5:  Short
6:  Long
7:  Middle
8:  Short
9:  Only
10: Middle
11: Middle
12: Only
13: Short
14: Only (Will be first weeks trial placement)
15: Only
16: Short
17: Short
18: Left
Drew D Neitzel

hyzerponix

Re: March pin settings
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 07:09:59 AM »
Not sure what ya mean by "trial placement" on #14, Drew. Could you elaborate on that a bit?

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 09:05:55 AM »
Not sure what ya mean by "trial placement" on #14, Drew. Could you elaborate on that a bit?

sorry, this is referring to a different thread.  Cliff Drive needs a few more pin settings put in.  Because the cost of steel sleeves has gone up (and digging a hole is rough on a fat boy), I want to be sure where they should go before investing time, sweat, and money setting them.  I personally have some ideas where I think they should go but I want additional opinions from other golfers.  Each week at league we will be playing a "trial placement" on one hole and I would like feedback from those who played it (either verbally after the round, or on the scores thread).  The hole will be announced when you receive your card and I will try to explain each location on here a few days ahead of time.
Drew D Neitzel

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 11:02:39 AM »
14 was a hole that stood out to me as being to long to birdie and too short to bogey.  Coud be tough to par if windy.  I thought a location putting the trees more in play and a little shorter would be interesting.  But that would be SW of the existing location?  Nope, I'm thinking of hole 15.  That does sound like a good alternate for 14 though.

hyzerponix

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 01:21:29 PM »
14 was a hole that stood out to me as being to long to birdie and too short to bogey.  Coud be tough to par if windy.  I thought a location putting the trees more in play and a little shorter would be interesting.  But that would be SW of the existing location?  Nope, I'm thinking of hole 15.  That does sound like a good alternate for 14 though.

You must be thinking of a different hole with that first statement as well. #14 is easily reachable with a hyzer shot over the road-- not that I can execute it every time, but distance-wise that hole is far from being a tweener for most Open players. #15 is more of a tweener, unless you're Matt Orum and you can get a 10' putt after driving with a Tee Bird... :o

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 01:54:48 PM »
Since the T Pads have gone in #15 is just a long par 3.  It is no longer a tweener.  IMO <- just learned what that meant so you may see it alot. :) lol hah roflmaowmtnkotb.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 02:20:41 PM »
"Tweener" means a hole that has a scoring average in between 2 numbers, like a hole that averages 3.5, for example.  Almost all scores are one of two numbers: 3 & 4 in this case.  A wide open 600' hole might be a tweener for advanced players.  When a hole must be wide open, tweener holes can be a good thing, because 2 scores are produced often rather than just 1.

People confuse this with a hole an "auto-par" hole, where just 1 score is achieved.  A 480' wide open hole would be too long to birdie and too short to bogey for most advanced level players, for example.  Scores would just be 3's, as if the hole wasn't played.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 03:59:28 PM by Schoen-hopper »

Captklank

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 02:49:05 PM »
"Tweener" means a hole that has a scoring average in between 2 number, like a hole that averages 3.5, for example.  Almost all scores are 1 of 2 numbers, 3 & 4 in this case.  A wide open 600' hole might be a tweener for advanced players.  When a hole must be wide open, tweener holes can be a good thing, because 2 scores are produced often rather than just 1.

People confuse this with a hole an "auto-par" hole, where just 1 score is achieved.  A 480' wide open hole would be too long to birdie and too short to bogey for most advanced level players, for example.  Scores would just be 3's, as if the hole wasn't played.

You havent seen me putt, ;D
Team Ls Discs

The Can tankerous A.N.G

• Pro Poster
  • Don't look now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 02:51:19 PM »
I remember playing a tournament (it was probably 2 years ago, I believe) where Hole #15 had a basket under that tree on the right.

I remember it was tricky getting the drive to land somewhere where the layup was easy, as that tree's branches and leaves offered a low ceiling. I guess I always thought there was a short right pin placement there, but it must have been a traveling basket for that tournament. It was fun and difficult nonetheless.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 03:37:53 PM »
You sure that wasn't the Lion's Den Open this year? 
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

hyzerponix

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 06:20:29 PM »
"Tweener" means a hole that has a scoring average in between 2 numbers, like a hole that averages 3.5, for example.  Almost all scores are one of two numbers: 3 & 4 in this case.  A wide open 600' hole might be a tweener for advanced players.  When a hole must be wide open, tweener holes can be a good thing, because 2 scores are produced often rather than just 1.

Okay, I see what you're saying. "Auto par" seems to be a more fitting term for what I was referring to, and yes, #15 at Cliff would definitely be an "auto par" hole for most players.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 09:39:18 AM »
I remember playing a tournament (it was probably 2 years ago, I believe) where Hole #15 had a basket under that tree on the right.

I remember it was tricky getting the drive to land somewhere where the layup was easy, as that tree's branches and leaves offered a low ceiling. I guess I always thought there was a short right pin placement there, but it must have been a traveling basket for that tournament. It was fun and difficult nonetheless.

I have put a temp pin there a few times Angie.  That will probably be one of the alternate placements for the hole.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 04:02:28 PM »

will OB on hole 3 be in effect? I hope NOT
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:09:54 PM by jamidanger »
espouse elucidation

hyzerponix

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
I don't think that rope OB along the cliff is going to be there for league, Jamie. That was put up for Worlds because of safety concerns, because apparently out-of-towners can't traverse rough terrain like us locals can. ::)

I've been planning to take that rope down for some time now, ever since Worlds, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
No rope OB.  I'm gonna pull those before first league.
Drew D Neitzel