Author Topic: 03-08-10 GLOW finale  (Read 1921 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 03-08-10 GLOW finale
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 10:31:29 AM »
The rules of the $5-$1 club are quite simple. 

If you see an ace you pay $5 to the person hitting the ace.

If you see someone hitting the basket or above chains (Tops of Innova, flag poles, number plates do NOT count) you pay them a $1.

The only time it is not ok to pay someone is if they are emptying their bag, and its not their first shot.  If you are playing casually with another player and it gets hit, its worth $5 to see it and talk about it.

I've paid on aces that I barely have seen, someone will throw it and scream, then I'll pay, though I only saw them tee off.  Thats me, some people say that they have to either witness the entire shot, or be on the card (if you did not see it, and you are on the card, you SHOULD PAY (not a must, but only because this is totally optional) or feel shame and ridicule for not ponying up!) in order to get paid.

The bottom line is that typically before each round, I'll ask who is in the "51 Club", and if they don't know I'll explain it, or they say yes or no, and you know where you stand!

Atta boy Drew!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

MOSPARKY

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 11:07:32 AM »
I pay for people on my card.  That's it.  Casual, League, or Tournament.  I think paying if you see something is your own choice.  Would you expect for 20 people to pay at hole 1 at down under league? 

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 11:23:31 AM »
Well we all know Jack just throws money around.  Have you ever played poker with him? 

I never make my partner pay for my ace.   I usually split Ace Money or have an agreement to do so prior to throwing with someone.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

lucky4ever247

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 11:38:47 AM »
I pay for aces when I see them. I consider myself a member of the 51 club.
5 bucks if its in, and a buck for Chains or above.....
RELAX!!!   I do All my own stunts!!!!!

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 12:18:56 PM »
I pay $5 for an ace if you are playing in my group.  I pay $1 for basket, chains, wedding band, or nickel (but not flag poles).  I never expect anything from anyone (though i may jeer at someone i know.  hint, hint, Brad. ;)) In this case, I was ecstatic with $359!!!  Straight cash homey!
Drew D Neitzel

hyzerponix

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 12:38:06 PM »
I will pay if I'm playing with the person who aces or hits basket/chains/crown/nickel. Not gonna pay just because I saw someone ace while I happened to be in the park at that time. Might consider it during league or tourney, but again, I'm not paying during a casual round unless I'm playing with the person who made the ace. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

And Dick, you're right about Jack throwing money around, that's why he was the first one out during our post USA/Canada Gold Medal Game Hold 'Em tournament... :D

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 12:41:55 PM »
I pay for people on my card.  That's it.  Casual, League, or Tournament.  I think paying if you see something is your own choice.  Would you expect for 20 people to pay at hole 1 at down under league? 

I would, but then again thats me, and I expect that same courtesy from all fellow disc golfers.

I can honestly say that I have paid for every ace that I have seen.

I paid $11 the and had only thrown 2 drives two weeks ago on money towards other people......

Again thats me, and I hope that the Karma gods smile favorably on me either on this planet, or the one beyond....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

coops

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
See, all of this discussion is exactly what I was referring to in my earlier post. Rest assured, I will remedy my error the next time I see Drew.
All of this confusion about the issue should be hashed out. Does the nickel count or not? How about the basket? Is it just chains or above? Do you pay your partner? Do you pay any time you see an ace or just on your card?
Most of the time I err on the side of being overly generous with what gets paid. For example, if I'm close enough to see the ace but am looking away I'll go ahead and pay for it. Or if the person nicks something metal and there is discussion about whether it is an acceptable piece of metal why not just give it the benefit of the doubt and shell out $1?

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 01:34:57 PM »
Those in the group are more expected to pay up than others on the course in my experience.

If you hit the nickel, you more than likely hit the top of the basket to.  Always played that counted.  Always played basket counted.  Don't know about the flag.

I've never asked other players about it.  Up to each player wether they want to pay for an ace.  I always do with those in my group.  But I don't expect others to.

Captklank

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 01:37:35 PM »
The Norm Is, Basket and above,On the card  u pay,If you are waiting on the same tee on a backup and see it Nothing or Whatever you feel like doing.

Having said that ,I have been paid by someone on the otherside of the course.

So really its about how much Karma you want back!!!
Team Ls Discs

bensdadfred

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »
If I see an ace, I pay. It's a small price to pay for a thing of beauty! The way I figure it though...it's your honor, do with it what you will.  ;D
2 Things: Don't sweat the small stuff & everything is small stuff!

hyzerponix

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 05:44:16 PM »
Drew, Brad, and I happily shelled out $5 apiece to one Mr. Dick Parker when he aced #13 at Rosedale with his pink Max this afternoon. The shot was a no-doubter the instant it left his hand. Nicely done, Dick! 8)

CHAS.

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 05:54:25 PM »
Me being a relative Newbie I do understand paying in casual play and is a awesome thing to witness but don't understand in a Tourney or League night since the ace thrower will be paid by the club. Not complaining just learning

hyzerponix

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 06:06:14 PM »
Me being a relative Newbie I do understand paying in casual play and is a awesome thing to witness but don't understand in a Tourney or League night since the ace thrower will be paid by the club. Not complaining just learning

You should still do it because they'll do the same for you. How would it feel if you witnessed an ace on your card during league, didn't pay, then you aced next week and everyone paid you? Aces don't happen very often, so just pay and it will come back to you when you one-time it!

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 06:49:50 PM »
Drew, Brad, and I happily shelled out $5 apiece to one Mr. Dick Parker when he aced #13 at Rosedale with his pink Max this afternoon. The shot was a no-doubter the instant it left his hand. Nicely done, Dick! 8)

Small price to pay to see such a beautiful toss.  That and Drew kept saying he was gunna make me pay 5 bucks the whole round.  Till I reached deep into his wad a cash and stole 5 dollah
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist