Author Topic: A Gentle Etiquette Reminder  (Read 963 times)

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
A Gentle Etiquette Reminder
« on: March 08, 2010, 10:13:42 AM »
This may seem like a passive-aggressive act, but I just wanted to give a quick reminder to all golfers out there,  not just KCFDC board lurkers.

If you're playing doubles with like 10 people, let smaller groups play through.  Our group of 4 was stuck behind a group this size on Saturday and it was SLOOOOOOOOOOW.  There was a gigantic gap in front of the large group too.

I mainly bring this up because there were KCFDC members in this group.  It didn't really bother me, as the weather was grand and I wasn't in a hurry, but a couple in my group and all the groups behind us were getting a bit agitated.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: A Gentle Etiquette Reminder
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 10:48:52 AM »
you didnt say anything to them?

I usually will say something when we catch up.....something like, you mind if we tee of with you folks real quick......
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

bbman

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 10:58:55 AM »
I would have to agree with Jack. If I have a problem with pace of play, I always ask if I can play thru. I cant remember a time when I was refused.
Rosedale Down Under CC 2010

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 11:00:29 AM »
I cant remember a time when I was refused.

I had a 3-some get a bit pissed at me when I asked to play through by myself this weekend.  However, that's an exception to what I normally see.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 11:26:11 AM »
Who cares if someone gets pissed because you politely ask if you can play through.  They're just douches.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

hyzerponix

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 12:19:22 PM »
Brian, did you speak up or what? I can't imagine a group of disc golfers denying a play-through to a smaller group. It's never happened during any round I've ever been a part of, anyway.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 12:20:15 PM »
I would have to agree with Jack. If I have a problem with pace of play, I always ask if I can play thru. I cant remember a time when I was refused.

the timing was just off; every time we would come close to catching up to brad's group, they were all teed off and walking away.  we were waiting 10 minutes on every tee box.  

this isn't a knock on brad or anything as i was enjoying myself regardless of the pace of play; the guys i was with were getting very pissed.

it's also about awareness; if you're in a huge group, it's common courtesy to offer to let people play through.  frankly it could be a bit intimidating for a twosome of new players that don't know anyone to go up to a big beer drinking group and ask to play through.

gang golf is fun, but it was backing up multiple groups and there was nothing but wide open space in front.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 01:01:03 PM »
Typically, if your in a small group, and you see a big group, I'd just holler, Hey, Coming through, and raise my discs and make sure everyone knows whats happening.

I'd then try my best small talk about, looks like your group is having a blast.....if you get a few distant stares, no biggie in my world, I just have other things to do....

Golf courses require you let people play through, but they also require nothing bigger than a 4-some, unless something special is going on, and the course is closed.  So anyone with a hint of ettiquette is never going to deny you a right to passage.....
Of course they may have known it was you, figured, that sandbagger needs the practice........ ;D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

hyzerponix

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 01:16:39 PM »
Brian, your word for today is "assertiveness". ;) :D

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 01:21:03 PM »
It truly didn't matter to me at all.  50+ degrees and I'm on the golf course, there could be a line of 20 in front of me and I wouldn't have cared.

I just like to think that if I was in a monster group like that, I would try to stay aware of backups behind my group.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 01:59:50 PM »
yeah, some people do, some don't.  And if I don't hear anyone ask, I may ignore them....I'll watch the people behind me for cluse, if they look content to sit at the bench and watch us throw, then I won't say anything...if they look anxious, then ill say something to our group, and yell em through.

What I really hate though (not really hate...but annoys me) is when you yell someone through and they try to play the hole as if they are a part of your group.....grab it, throw it, and play on through it! :)
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Fish

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 02:01:48 PM »
Brian,

If you're referring to the group I was in at Rosie on Saturday, I really had no clue you guys wanted to play through.  We let several smaller groups through, and would have had no issues letting you guys pass.  There were several tee pads where we were going to stop, but it didn't seem like you guys ever caught up with us.  If anyone was ever waiting on us by the time we were done teeing off, we asked them to play through.  You should have said something when we chatted on 15, I would have gladly stopped the group and let you guys through.  I guarantee that nobody in the group would have been a dick about it.  All ya had to do was ask.  
Nate Fishback

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 03:32:13 PM »
It was just timing dude.  No biggie.  I should apologize to you guys for the guy in my group that shouted "NOONAN" while one of your guys was putting.

If we would've arrived a minute earlier to the tees, it all would've worked itself out.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 03:33:42 PM »
FIGHT!  FIGHT!  YEAAAHH!!!!

We'll kick the night off with you guys in a death match followed by Jack and Kiezer!  It'll be awesome!
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 03:40:29 PM »
 :'(   :'(   :'(   :'(

Can I cry too?

1. Why does the club take soooo much money out of my league fee?

2. Why can't I (an adult) enjoy an adult beverage while playing a round a SMP, yet an adult can smoke a cigarette or use chewing tobacco???

3. Why does Palmer whine so much....?  Is it because he's played for years and still insists he is an INT player?

4. Does anyone really care?
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word