Author Topic: SAINT LOUIS OPEN MAY 1st and 2nd  (Read 3177 times)

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: SAINT LOUIS OPEN MAY 1st and 2nd
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 05:28:30 PM »
Do all division still have to meet at Endicott for check-in and the players meeting on Saturday morning?  Then drive to the course that you will be playing.  

From what I understand, we all meet Sat. morning at Endicott at 8 for players meeting, then head to your course(s) for a 10 am start.  They're hoping to get car pooling from there, at least that day.  Makes at least SOME sense, since the players party is at Endicott that evening.  If I remember correctly, they don't have Endicott available to them on Sun., so, probably not a "centralized" players meeting the last day.  Definitely gonna be interesting to say the least!  :o ??? :o
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

Twister66

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 06:22:05 PM »
Anytime that you travel someplace that isn't your homebase the logistics of getting yourself to the course is a challenge.  Adding that you have to drive over 20 miles between Endicott and JB I would log nearly 50 miles before I ever start playing.  I can't see that happening for me.  I know that we are spoiled in KC with how close together the courses are here, but all that driving just to to get started.  I know I don't have much room to talk because I have never run an event, but it is a freaking A tier event.  Don't take day of registration and assign all of the divisions to the course and have the players check-in and the meeting at the assigned course.  That's my thought.  I know I'm a real buzz kill.  I play in St.Louis all of the time and I know I'm missing a great time, but 150 miles or more between courses in two days...Really.

Best of Luck to all KC golfers.
Jim Sherwood

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 09:04:26 AM »
part of th reason I chose to stay home this weekend as well!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 09:40:12 AM »
Add to the list of reasons we are spoiled in KC....
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2010, 01:28:29 AM »
Yeha, they gave us an HOUR to get from Endicott to Jefferson Barracks.

I know that I like to eat, and relax between rounds, this event at that time did not seem to handle it.  I have not been back since, and I made my case to allow for the driving time and eating time, but again, get clarification and know where your courses are, as time was essential, and if I didn't know where the courses were I may not have made it in time.

Yeah, I recall grabbing drive thru fast food then getting a little lost from endicott to souix passage.  Maybe 10 minutes lost time.  But by the time I got to the course, everyone was hiking off to their tee.

Do all division still have to meet at Endicott for check-in and the players meeting on Saturday morning?
Yeah, that was simply just lame to not be able to check-in at your course. 

That event was not player travel friendly at all.   I would likely not go back, even though I enjoy the courses, unless they can prove having their act together.

biting my tongue....I live in St Louis now...I live in St Louis now...I LIVE in St Louis now???

Yes, Players' Meeting 8am SHARP Saturday at Endicott.   Player's party is there that night, a whole pig is being cooked, starting as I type, I think.  Finals are Sunday at Creve Coeur, Final 9 for Open and Ams only, I think, safari course is par 41 or so, starting from original 7 and basically circling the course perimeter.  Long-ass holes in there normally, much less this layout...it's NUTS! 

Bring rain and mud gear, forecast is for rain starting Friday afternoon, continuing through Saturday and into Sunday morning.  Sioux and Alton won't be bad, but JB and Endicott will be...interesting.  A lot of Endicott looks like DU, or worse, in terms of mud quantity.  Tim's put in a lot of drainage and other stuff at Endi to help  eliminate some of the real problem areas, and it's looking great.  JB can be nasty in a couple of places, but a couple of bridges and some clean up should help that a lot too.  Still some mud.

I'll see all you guys who're coming over Sat morning at Endi, maybe not at the player's party.  I'll be working reg after about 330 Friday, too.

steve
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2010, 08:44:11 AM »
More reasons to stay outta "the lou"
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2010, 01:47:29 AM »
I'm gonna suggest that next year, the player's meeting is the night before, at the end of the registration process.  That will cut down travel requirements.  This was only #5 fr the SLO, so it still has growing pains to go through.    AT least the weather held off for the most part.  Some water fun at JB, apparently.

Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2010, 11:32:18 AM »
After listening to your message, it sounds like the players meeting is simply a tip in the issues that really need to be handled there.

Spoiled in KC, we are SO SPOILED for DISC GOLF in Kansas City, move any where else in the country and see what we have compared to any one.....(except maybe Des Moines.....MAYBE!)
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2010, 12:23:37 PM »
And Charlotte.  I'd list Tulsa too, but the crappiness of that city outweighs any disc golf.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2010, 01:25:16 PM »
IDK @ Charlotte, they have a couple of ok courses, but you like the wooded courses better so I understand your blinders.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2010, 01:27:47 PM »
IDK @ Charlotte, they have a couple of ok courses, but you like the wooded courses better so I understand your blinders.....

Wooded courses are easy; you don't have to imagine lines.  The lines are where the trees aren't. :D

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2010, 01:56:45 PM »

Wooded courses are easy; you don't have to imagine lines.  The lines are where the trees aren't. :D

Imagine... if you will... your line to the tree that lies BEYOND your target/gap... Ahh - tunnel vision... that's better :o Presto! Park job :D
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

The Can tankerous A.N.G

• Pro Poster
  • Don't look now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2010, 05:20:48 PM »
Looooooommmmmisssss is cooooool! Congrats and thanks for representing! ;D

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2010, 10:41:22 PM »
Yeah Loomis. Shot a thousand rated round!!! Go Loomis. Also a shout to "Tattoo" Steve Drew for a great showing in Masters and lets not forget TIM BECKS baggin it up in REC! Timmy, had to pull that out on ya!
Much love to KC golf!