Author Topic: Omaha Courses?  (Read 725 times)

Seth W

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Omaha Courses?
« on: March 17, 2010, 11:32:35 AM »
Going to Omaha in a few weeks and free time will be limited. If I can only play 1 local course, what should it be?

Spencer

Re: Omaha Courses?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 11:29:38 PM »
Doug-a few questions-

1)Have you played EITHER of these courses?
2)if SO, did you read the question about picking ONE course to play?
3)Can you please go back to restricted computer-use (without having to go to a combat zone)?

I think he might have been looking for an opinion on a sweet course in Omaha, not a lesson on how to cut and paste from a PDGA course directory ;D

BamBam

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 12:15:21 AM »
I really liked Seymour Smith. Plays through some great tree shots, and has multiple tee areas. Some shots are on the short side and little funky (but different!) which is always nice.

Wasn't a fan of lake Cunningham at all. It's got some longer shots and some elevation but the rough was stupid last I played it. There's a good chance it's been cleaned up as it's been a few years since I've been there--in fact it was nearly brand new at the time--but it had some completely blind shots through nearly impossible gaps with rough so bad everywhere it was impossible to find your plastic--let alone throw it again!

In my opinion at the time, it wasn't a very fair course. But like I say, it did have some cool shots and very well could have been cleaned up by now. Maybe someone has some recent experience?

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 01:04:08 AM »
I totally agree about Cunningham...a horribly long walk (much longer than Olathe, closer to Sioux Passage in St Louis) in the middle, and only a couple of holes worth walking any of it, IMO. 

Seymour Smith is fun, the back 9 are a little weird to follow in a couple of places, but once you figure it out it really does make sense.  I think it's 13 14 and 15 that I particularly enjoy for some reason, just a neat sequence.
If you can get to the Zoo, that's well worth it too.

Oh, if you're a shooter, there's a range in Seymour, I don't know if it's restricted to type of gun or who can use it.
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

Dan Z.

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 03:07:37 AM »
I'll second with BAM BAM. Lake Cunningham was definitely the frustrating type. We couldnt see most of the baskets- the trees were big. Could be twice as difficult now. That was like in 2003.
DZ

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:46:15 AM »
It seems we have a consensus for your Seth. Yep, Lake Cunningham was brutal the time I played it. Kind of a typical Army Corp of Engineers course though. If you ever played the course at Clinton Lake in Lawrence it's like that only longer, very tall prairie grass rough. Seymour Smith is a fun neighborhood style course.

Lake Cunningham has its place though. It made for very challenging golf during the Call to Arms but I don't think I'd spend much time on casual rounds there.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Seth W

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 09:54:09 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.  Looks like Seymour Smith will soon recieve an aerial thumber assault.

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 10:04:23 AM »
Lake Cunningham seemed be a bit more thumber friendly off the tee...though, as previously noted, many of the holes are (VERY) blind shots.  You'll prolly want a guide.  :o

Seymour Smith had some foliage/canopy issues making a roller a necessary approach shot if you don't land your drive well.  I'm just glad I had an Optimizer in the quiver...cuz I literally needed it.

IFF you can, play both...we'd like to hear your review!  8)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 10:06:24 AM by otter »
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
disagree...
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 10:12:07 AM »
I am from Omaha and would HIGHLY recommend neither of those courses... If you have only one round to play

Head across the river into Council Bluffs, Iowa and play Treasure Cove DGC, at Iowa Western Comm College...

We put this course in about 3-4 years ago....it is the best course within 100 miles any direction...

http://cbcsa.com/plank2010/walk_the_plank_2010.htm

heres the link for the tourney, but it has any info you need on there...

Have fun
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 10:37:18 AM »
I believe I would take Tank's advice on this one. I have yet to play the Council Bluffs course but it isn't far from Omaha, kinda like KCMO and KCK. I have heard it puts the two Omaha courses to shame but I am not speaking from personal experience.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 12:18:16 PM by Kevin Montgomery »
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 11:52:20 AM »
Listen to Mr. Clean, even with the changes that I didn't like, its still better than the other two metioned, and its in the same area.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"