Author Topic: Beginners League 2010  (Read 1891 times)

Hurrishane

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Beginners League 2010
« on: April 15, 2010, 04:44:51 PM »
I would like to revive the free beginners league at Rosie on Monday nights. I will attempt to run these weekly minis beginning this coming Monday (April 19) and would like to get people started playing by 5:45 pm, moving the start time to 6 pm on May 3. This league will be open to all disc golfers (begineers and pros alike), and hopefully will be a good opportunity for newer disc golfers to learn the rules and etiquette of league play, in a fun environment. Please tell anyone you know who may be interested about the free beginners league and I look forward to seeing everyone at the 'Dale. I'm also new at this, so if anyone has any advice about running this league or how to attract players, please feel free to give advice.
Shane Whitaker
KCFDC #929

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners League 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 11:49:20 AM »
Keep it simple.

Keep stats.

Mix up the cards (have seasoned people play with new people)

Don't let "cliques" run the event, you do.

Keep it fun, you could also do a $1 ace fund only, and keep that going all year...

I had fun running it about 10 years ago for a couple of years, its a good thing, glad to hear you are doing it!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 12:36:47 AM »
Excellent. Thanks for stepping up and keeping this going. I'll add this to the league schedule if you PM me any contact info you want listed.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Hurrishane

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 02:23:30 PM »
I had three folks (not including myself) out for the first New Player's League on April 19, and five signed up last night (April 24) and we decided to play best-shot doubles, played through the rain and were tying to throw 18 in near darkness.

Would like to have even more out so we can begin having multiple cards, but hopefully I am gaining some regulars who will be playing their first semi-organized rounds.

I will be starting cards at 6 p.m. next week and will attempt to be at Rosedale every Monday for this -- if for some reason I can't make it, I will post here that I won't be there that evening.

Also, I wouldn't mind giving some plastic away as the season moves along so some weeks I will have rewards if all goes well.

Just thought folks might want an update. Take care and throw well,
Shane Whitaker
KCFDC #929

BamBam

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 09:25:59 PM »
I had three folks (not including myself) out for the first New Player's League on April 19, and five signed up last night (April 24) and we decided to play best-shot doubles, played through the rain and were tying to throw 18 in near darkness.

Would like to have even more out so we can begin having multiple cards, but hopefully I am gaining some regulars who will be playing their first semi-organized rounds.

I will be starting cards at 6 p.m. next week and will attempt to be at Rosedale every Monday for this -- if for some reason I can't make it, I will post here that I won't be there that evening.

Also, I wouldn't mind giving some plastic away as the season moves along so some weeks I will have rewards if all goes well.

Just thought folks might want an update. Take care and throw well,

Thx for running this Shane.

Hurrishane

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 12:21:42 PM »
No New Players League this Monday (May 31)! Because of the holiday I have decided to not run the NPL! I hope this is not an inconvenience for anyone and please try to get out and enjoy one of the other leagues at Prairie Center or Cliff Dive. Regular schedule will resume June 7.
Shane Whitaker
KCFDC #929

Hurrishane

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 09:04:15 AM »
New Players League Results -- Rosedale Park --- 6/7/10

We had four players out this week (including myself). Two new guys (Seth and Clark) whom had never played in a KCFDC league. Welcome to them. They both shot in the low 70s--I thought I had the card on me this morning, but I don't. I shot a 67, and Tony D. was our leader with a +2. Hopefully, the grass is mowed before we tee off next week.
Shane Whitaker
KCFDC #929

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 09:13:41 AM »
Dutiel is STILL playing new players league?

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 09:53:31 AM »
He doesn't have a car, so he can't get to Cliff or Olathe.

Hurrishane

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 01:48:26 PM »
Sorry but I will not be at Rosedale this evening to host the New Players League. If someone else wants to step up and host that would be fine with me.
Shane Whitaker
KCFDC #929