Author Topic: message board  (Read 4553 times)

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
message board
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2005, 12:57:03 PM »
Quote from: "chappyfade"
 I hate message boards for official information.  There's too much risk of the intended message getting lost or misinterpreted.   I'll now go back and hide in my hole.

Chap

Just a suggestion, for official information you could have a club members section on the message board where permission has to be granted to enter that forum from admins.  Or Newsletter's could be emailed to the actual members containing the information you want to make sure everyone recieves.

I do agree w/ Post counts, why people see it fun to have the largest number is beyond me.
Rosedale Preservation Society Member

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
message board
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2005, 12:59:25 PM »
I don't think that we need avatars either.  McCabe's may be offensive to some.  I like Topica better to get information than the discussion board personally.  I like looking in the mailbox, just the way that I am, though I have also been on discussion boards that sent e-mails digested, or itemized to.

To me Topica is better, because it hits your mailbox, so if you are a lurker you know when something hits.  Unfortunately now with this starting to take off, I am having to double post to Topica and to the Discussion area.  I don't really mind, but will need to discuss.  I still feel that club business needs to be done on Topica, not in the forum.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
message board
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2005, 01:26:22 PM »
I think the whole purpose of this discussion board is being confused.  I see it as a community soundboard.  A person hears about something called 'discgolf' here in KC, naturally they go to the internet to learn more, a quick search turns up our site, they join the forum to ask questions, they go to the events page to see the dates of upcoming events, they read the news on the front page.  The discussion board has the ability to connect area discgolfers in a transparent way.  If one relied soley on Topica, it would appear that the KC disc scene was composed of CD, Ace Mason, and Jack.  

I never suggested getting rid of Topica,(especially for the board),  ultra critical, high level information is probably best transferred via topica to assure that it is recieved at the earliest possible moment.   I just feel that the discussion is useful resource for a large number of site visitors.

Yes animated avatars can be annoying, and a ban could be enforced.  I will also respond to any complaints about offensive material.  I am adding avatars for members to choose from that are as inoffensive as possible (unless you count the french cut poodle), as many enjoy having them.

-Sean

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
message board
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2005, 12:51:03 PM »
Where's everyone at?  KC has a lot of DGers and not many on this board.  Doesn't seem like you have a big problem with numerous, purposeless posts here.  I like this system because you do receive email when you get a private message.

Great job with this site!

tjringer

message board
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2005, 05:11:59 PM »
Quote from: "chappyfade"
Actually, I disagree.  I like getting the emails in my inbox, and I like not having to go to the discussion board, which I find of questionable value.  Sometimes, it's hard to disseminate the 5% real

I agree with the Chapster... I'd rather get my discussion via email instead of having to log in to this board.  Ted, you can mass delete messages in email, choose what you want to keep, etc., etc.  With a system like this you have to wade through the knee deep dookie.

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
message board
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2005, 07:59:08 AM »
TJ do you just mass delete topica emails or do you read them?  If you read them, then are you not still wading "through the knee deep dookie"?  Crap in the inbox or crap in a discussion board, it all smells the same.  

-Sean

tedkeith

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
message board
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2005, 10:21:04 AM »
I mass delete a large percentage of Topica emails without opening. It is really no big deal.

I agree that we should have both. Topica is great for getting word out about work days and important club info, I would just like to see less trivial stuff posted there. Again, no big deal at all.

This site and discussion board give us a greater public presence. Puts a lot of local info out there for anyone to see and use and is a good place for new (non-topica) players to get information. I always seek out area club sites before traveling to see what the golf scene is like and have found active sites to be helpful.

So, I guess my final answer would be... leave things the way they are :c)

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Topica?
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2005, 10:01:18 AM »
I just started recieving Topica, and my question is how do I get rid of all the Advertising?  Also what is the email address to send to group?  Or to start a new message?  Maybe someone knows of a tutorial or something.

TIA

-Dennis

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
message board
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2005, 10:23:11 AM »
You can't get rid of the ads, they are the reason topica is 'free'.  You reply to the same address listed as the sender - kcfdc@topica.com or something like that, just hitting reply in your email client usually does the trick.

-Sean

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
message board
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2005, 10:52:08 AM »
Quote from: "Flip"
You can't get rid of the ads, they are the reason topica is 'free'.  You reply to the same address listed as the sender - kcfdc@topica.com or something like that, just hitting reply in your email client usually does the trick.

-Sean

Awww, thank you Sean I did not know it was free.  I thought it was something the club subscribe to, to provide the members a way of communicating (like this :D).  What about starting a new message just send to KCFDC@topica.com?

-Dennis