Author Topic: Blue Springs Young Park Work Day Oct 31  (Read 3044 times)

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Blue Springs Young Park Work Day Oct 31
« on: October 28, 2009, 03:30:37 PM »
We could really use some help with tree cutting and trimming.  The parks and rec have done an excellent job carving the holes out of thick overgrown woods.  Now is the time for disc golfers to put the final touches on the holes.  I will be out this Saturday, Oct 31 at 10 am and would love to have some help.  I have a hole by hole itinerary of what needs to be done.  I will also be out there working this Friday, Oct 30th at noon.   Please bring your own chainsaw. 

Thank,
John Theiss

Keizer

Re: Blue Springs Young Park Work Day Oct 31
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 04:36:36 PM »
If you'll change the word "itinerary" to "plan", it might make me feel like this is something I can help out with... :D

John, gimme a call Saturday morning. I won't be off work until 6:30 that morning, but I will try to help. Also, Little Dave has a couple 4-wheelers now and is always looking for a reason to use them. If you think they might be of use, lemme know...

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 05:21:47 PM »
sounds good.  my plan involves you using power tools without adult supervision.  anyone else want to use some power tools?    ;D

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 06:23:43 PM »
Met with the number one and number two from the parks and rec this morning and the walk through went well.  If i could get some folks to come out and lend a hand tomorrow, that would help out the parks and rec tremendously.  All we got to do is cut and pull debris out and they will haul it away next Monday and Tuesday.  It is important to get the cutting done this weekend because next week they want to start the tilling and seeding.  If we get those few areas knocked out this weekend, that allows the workers a day or two to collect and haul the brush out wth the skid and grappler attachment.  I put in a full day of work today and got a ton done.  It would be nice to have some help tomorrow.  Please bring a chainsaw and some gloves. 

YOUNG PARK 10 AM WORKDAY- WORK DAYS MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD.  COME OUT AND GIVE BACK!  I WANT SOME OF THOSE EASTERN JACKSON COUNTY FOLKS TO BE THERE SINCE THIS MIGHT BE THE NEXT CLOSEST COURSE BESIDES SWOPE OR MAYBE YOUR SOON TO BE HOME COURSE!

John Theiss

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 10:17:21 AM »
Three days and 20 hours later,  all of the holes are appearing to be playable after much tree trimming and clearing.  Still a few tall branches left that the parks and rec will have to get by getting up in the bucket of the skid and using a  pole saw.  We went through two chains from all the hedge that was being cut. 

Bryan Harrelson brought out his big boy chainsaw and we  dropped a couple big trees on hole 16.  This cutting helped the hole tremendously by offering a better second route.  I could not have done that work by myself and i really appreciate all the help from Bryan and  Tony "exminnasotaboy".  After opening up some areas, a few basket locations were moved and the hole has been changed for the better.

It was a good weekend of hard work and i want to thank Bryan and Tony for giving up their time.  Thanks for giving back! 

John

Dirk

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 01:19:52 PM »
Watching the transformation into a course is really rewarding and exciting isn't it John. Can't wait to come play it.

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 02:41:35 PM »
It has been one of the coolest things i have ever had the privilege of doing.  Transforming the land is so exiting.  Designing a course from scratch is awesome.  You get to let your imagination run freely and your visions of  the course change  like the weather.  Taking over grown woody land and transforming it is amazing. Seeing it go from the most nasty thorn ridden razor wire, walls of dense brush, trees growning too closely choking one another, 15 ft visibility in mosts spots, and accomplishing the task of squeezing in 18 hole course into limited space is really special.  i am very excited about the project and hope that i accomplished my goal of creating a unique course to KC. 
John

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 02:51:26 PM »
All the 36 anchor sleeves should be installed by tomorrow.  They are doing something pretty cool with the anchor sleeves.  If you go to DGA website under installation
(http://www.discgolfassoc.com/installation/basket-install.html), you will find sleeves installed inside "Valve Cover Boxes".  When the anchor is not in use, the top of the cover box is put back on and a screw holds the top cover in place. 

Anyone else ever seen this on a course?  Seems like an extra expense but it is nice when moving baskets and you do not get malaria infested water splashed all over you.

They also finished the main bridge between 16 and 17 and it is first class.  Another group of guys were doing dirt work around the pads finishing them up and dropping seed.  They are working real hard and have a nice week of weather to get this thing close to being done.

csheafer

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 09:13:07 PM »
You guys ROCK!

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 09:59:36 PM »
Really late notice, however if anyone wants to help tomorrow there will be folks working at Young.  Boyscouts are spreading mulch.   They are starting at 9:00am. 

And.... supposedly the seed will be going down tomorrow.  Better late than never.   

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 05:27:24 PM »
The parks dept had a full operation going today.  One guy on the bigger tractor discing the ground, one on the seed spreader, and one running back and forth dropping backs of seed throughout the course.  The last bit of dirt work is being done tomorrow to build a mogul basket location.  With the super nice weather ahead this week, the course should have some ground cover for opening weekend.  A lot of grass/weeds are coming up  now, so it will look real nice after six weeks of growth.