Author Topic: MP3/Music Players  (Read 1121 times)

DiscWiz

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
MP3/Music Players
« on: May 02, 2010, 07:33:01 AM »
At both GBO and Wyco I played at least one round where one of the players in the group utilized an MP3 player.  In these groups the overall social structure of the foursome was different than when none of the players used an MP3 players.  While I am not sure if ball golf has a rule against MP3/Music players, I personally have never seen/participated in a tournament where a player has utilized one.

hyzerponix

Re: MP3/Music Players
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 08:02:03 AM »
Seems that during tournaments, some guys want to be in their own zone instead of socializing with the card like they might normally do during league or casual play. I just don't see how a player listening to headphones is hurting anyone else as long the player is able to pay attention to the flow of the game.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 11:56:43 AM »
Golf is a mental game.
The device can be considered an "advantage" to that players "mental game".
Steven Disc Glover

hyzerponix

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 12:09:43 PM »
Golf is a mental game.
The device can be considered an "advantage" to that players "mental game".

Hmm, now that you mention it... Is the player listening to music or pre-recorded course measurements and/or Discraft Clinic videos? :D

And what about players whose strategy involves constant yapping and jaw jacking throughout the entire round? Would it be right to eliminate that advantage by donning a set of earphones? What say you, Palmer? ;D ;) ;D

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 12:26:21 PM »
I honestly think they look unprofessional and wonder how we expect anyone to be serious about this sport too but my main reason is the mental advantage. And yes Mike you understand my concept of how I meant this. Plus it helps the player forget that last bad shot or bad hole.

I can understand getting in a zone before a round or staying in a zone between your rounds and using the device.

I understand this may not be a popular opinion but thats why I like this question because of the various reasons.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 12:30:35 PM by discglover »
Steven Disc Glover

hyzerponix

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 12:39:09 PM »
I honestly think they look unprofessional and wonder how we expect anyone to be serious about this sport too but my main reason is the mental advantage.

They are quite popular with poker players, you see them all the time on WSOP. I don't think it's hurt the image of that game at all, just sayin'...

Ash

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 12:51:27 PM »
MP3 players should not be banned as long as they are used with headphones. I really could do without hearing country, rap, techno, or any of the other crap music I've been subjected to while golfing.
Ash Lawrence
KCFDC # 994

Kevin Simpson

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 01:10:58 PM »
As long as no courtesy violations are committed, there's no reason why the use of such a device would be disallowed. That player isn't subjected to the usual distractions that come with being on a card with four other people- so what? That's tantamount to disallowing a deaf person from playing.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 08:08:09 PM »
Its not a normal part of the golf gear making it a foriegn object PLUS its intended purpose is to help said players mental game.

We are not talking about disallowing any people.

Someone else voted the way I did. Lets hear their reason why.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 08:13:12 PM by discglover »
Steven Disc Glover

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 09:50:25 PM »
First, if you believe this gives an opponent a mental advantage and is costing you scores, you are weak minded and these players will find some other way to get in your head if MP3s are outlawed.  Having said that, I agree they should be outlawed.  Golf is an individual sport in a social setting.  You have to communicate with other members of your group to decipher who's out or for OB spots and other inquiries to make your way through a competitive round.  I don't like having to raise my voice or repeat myself to speak to someone 20' away.  I've had a lot of people with MP3s not help look for a disc because they're in their own little world or changing their playlist or something to that nature when the rules state everyone in the group must look.  Its rude and can also be dangerous as they may not hear someone yell fore from another hole.  These players like to use the argument "its not turned up very loud".  I own a pair of the in-ear style that most players are using and i use them when i mow.  They drown out a lot of sound without the music playing not mentioning the people that have them so loud i can tell what they're listening to.

Some people can be friendly all the time.  I have days when I'd rather listen to music, focus on my game only, and be basically be anti-social.  Out of courtesy and respect for others in my group, on those days, I don't play league, tournaments, or even casual rounds with others.

On a side note, I haven't had these issues with someone carrying speakers.  Every person I've encountered with these has asked permission and seems to be more into enjoying the round and music as a group.  This is more inline with my opinion of the sport's intent.  I don't know that they should be or are allowed in a PDGA event but have not encountered this scenario yet.

My long winded .02
Drew D Neitzel

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 11:25:47 AM »
They are not agains the rules, they are against the social aspect of the game.  If a person doesn't help look for a disc they are in violation of the rules, and should be called on the infraction.  If they are not paying attention and it is distracting to other players, that becomes a courtesy violation.

Speaking of Deaf people, I was fortunate enough to play a round with 2 deaf people and one person wearing headphones in Iowa City for an event....the lonliest round ever......

Some people should be given courtesy violations for being too talkative as well, you simply warn them, and say, look I will not give a courtesy yet, but if you don't refrain from talking I will next time.

That typically will shut them up.

Hurting our image....give me a break, headphones are not hurting the image, its all about the attitudes that people play with and the desire to show how unprofessional we are that hurts our image, not headphones.....

I am also with Ash and Drew though the need to carry about with a set of external speakers is not something that I personally think is ok, it doesn't bother me at casual play, but I think that leagues it should be asked ( I usually don't really care, but would prefer that we not have a jam band going on during league) by the person porting in the sound for the group.  I have never said no, and generally I am asked, so if you are that guy, just ask.

During PDGA events, or even club tourney's, I would find exception to it, unless its something completely for fun.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 11:46:34 AM »
Most people I know wear headphones so they don't have to listen to the worthless ramblings of people that don't know when to shut up!!  Some people just love hearing themselves talk and if you ever see me wearing headphones during sanctioned events it is because of that reason.

Ever sport has tools.....some just present themselves in different manners.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Kevin Simpson

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 02:42:13 PM »
Most people I know wear headphones so they don't have to listen to the worthless ramblings of people that don't know when to shut up!!  Some people just love hearing themselves talk and if you ever see me wearing headphones during sanctioned events it is because of that reason.

Ever sport has tools.....some just present themselves in different manners.

QFA. This is the only reason I ever wear buds, too. You especially don't want to have to listen to some rambling idiot during a tourney round. It's annoying, but mostly harmless, during a casual/league round.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 02:50:13 PM »
Why ban something that doesn't disrupt play.   If in turn the device does disrupt play (i.e. Not paying attention to the card your on) then you give a courtesy warning and if it does it again the guy gets a stroke.  Same with the rambling guy.  You can't ban him because he is disrupting play but you can give him a courtesy warning.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 11:57:39 PM »
I am not talking how they may or may not affect other players not wearing them.
Just the mere fact they are being used during the round to help that players mental game.
If you can argue the intended purpose were not to help the players mental state then I'll change my vote.

I can see saying its unsafe to hear people yell fore but then thats getting into the gray area Kevin mentioned about allowing deaf people to play.

On a side note.Whats the ruling for text messaging?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:05:12 AM by discglover »
Steven Disc Glover