Author Topic: PDGA  (Read 1396 times)

Seansponsoredam

PDGA
« on: May 25, 2010, 07:01:21 AM »
If I am not a professional disc golfer, then why should I join the PDGA?  Maybe they should have qualifiers to allow a person to attain there pro card, kinda like the PGA, or drop the P and just call it the DGA.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: PDGA
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 07:34:27 AM »
There already is a DGA.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 08:59:40 AM »
The DGA is now a for profit business that sells discs, baskets, clothing etc.

The PDGA does a lot for amateur disc golfers as well as pros. You get the quarterly magazine and they keep stats and assign ratings for PDGA sanctioned events members play among other things.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 09:46:34 AM »
If I am not a professional disc golfer, then why should I join the PDGA? 

So you can vote for me in the elections this year, and then know that your PDGA is working towards the betterment of our sport for all people.  Its not just about the pro's (who probably make up less than 1/3 of the PDGA) its really about the sport and helping it grow.....

But most importantly this year, its about getting me enough votes! ;D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 05:09:36 PM »
It is the Professional Disc Golf Association.

That is the current executive director of the PDGA, I am simply running for a non-paying position on the Board of Directors to give/lend guidance on how to help the sport as a whole....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 09:13:13 AM »
If I am not a professional disc golfer, then why should I join the PDGA?  Maybe they should have qualifiers to allow a person to attain there pro card, kinda like the PGA, or drop the P and just call it the DGA.
There are far more informed guys here when it comes to the PDGA, but I see it as sort of a hybrid of the PGA and the USGA.

I won't go in to detail on the USGA, just go to usga.org if you are interested. They are the ambassadors for amatures (think US Open) and the governing body (along with the Royal and Ancient and other organizations)

People tend to think of the PGA as the 'Tour' and the hot shots, the Woods, Michelson's etc. A much bigger part of the PGA membership is the thousands of local pro's at places like Swope or the National, et al, that give lessons, wash carts and run tournaments. These folks grind it out on a daily basis for minimal wages with dreams of either making the Tour and running their own course some day.

just my $.02
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 07:54:28 PM »
Think of it as a PADG, Professional Association of Disc Golf.  It's not the "Professional Disc GOLFERS Association."  It's a professional organization overseeing the sport.

I think the powers that were chose the name to play off the familiarity of the PGA. 
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 08:16:34 PM »

There are far more informed guys here when it comes to the PDGA, but I see it as sort of a hybrid of the PGA and the USGA.
[/quote]

To expand a bit on Dave's post....

The PDGA tries to do what the USGA, PGA of America, and the PGA Tour do.

Here's a thumbnail description of each:

USGA:  rules, turf research, historical stuff, and about a dozen championships with the US  Open being the main one

PGA of America: certify and train pros--who must display some competency in play—about the business of being course pros, including caring for courses and running pro shops. Also runs tournaments most notably as the PGA Championship and Ryder Cup

PGA Tour:  operates the PGA Tour events. Ironically, none of the four majors are run by the PGA Tour.

All of these entities have complex financial structures that include non-profit and for-profit businesses.

My attempts to get the PDGA more actively involved with local issues came up short, which is not the only reason I'm not running for the Board of Directors again. Not sure what Jack's hopes to accomplish (have yet to see his platform), but I know he understands that most PDGA member are amateurs, and that many (if not most) PDGA "pros" are more like weekend warriors who enjoy gambling for each other's money.

There is only a  tiny minority of pros who want or are trying to make a living from competing. I was somewhat frustrated on the Board because we spent a disproportionate amount of attention and time on the issues of this minority rather than helping those of us in the field who build and maintain courses, create and run clubs,  and run  the PDGA events that help fund the organization. This is likely to change at some point as it's likely that eventually (nothing now that I've heard about)  another organization will compete with the PDGA for the allegiance of its amateurs. If that should happen, I would guess that the PDGA would focus on the majority of its membership, and that pros, who have considered forming their own organization, would do so. There is precedent in golf of this splintering. The PGA of America split from the USGA in the 1910s and I believe it was in the 60s or 70s that the PGA Tour split from the PGA.

But I digress.

I  believe that right now most PDGA members are most interested in playing events and improving their ratings, but will watch the pros at a tournament as long as there is no cost and that their own tournament rounds are over. That being said, I think that most PDGA members and other disc golfers still harbor hopes of seing more mainstream media attention, including televised disc golf. The sport has come a long, long way since I played in my first pro event, the 1983 Kansas City Wide Open. We still have a long way to go, but I'm a firm believer that it's about the journey and not the destination.  This is especially true if you don't know exactly what the destination is. So, let's keep having fun.

To answer Sean more fully, it's been suggested ever since the players took control of the PDGA from Ed Headrick in 1984 to change the name to, most often, the Players Disc Golf Association. Although the membership has not been polled for several years now about a name change, when the membership was queried, a majority have always said "keep professional." The trademark that the PDGA owns actually just says PDGA, but its hard to shake a name that has been in use since 1976.

Wow, I've rambled much more than I intended.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 08:18:37 PM by Rick Rothstein »
Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
rick@discgolfworld.com
www.discgolfworld.com

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 10:01:17 PM »
As of yesterday, I am a Professional Disc Golfer.  I will vote!!

I thought you were a sponsored am?   ???
Rosedale Preservation Society Member

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 12:03:42 AM »
As of yesterday, I am a Professional Disc Golfer.  I will vote!!

You mean you are a member of the PDGA

Steven Disc Glover

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 11:01:44 AM »
"PDGA "pros" are more like weekend warriors who enjoy gambling for each other's money. "

It's not gambling when you make money every weekend...!
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

jamison99

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 11:20:51 AM »
Haha...well put TanK...are you still giving lessons?  On a side note, I think I saw your Corona bottle still floating its way across the lake...lol

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 12:07:13 PM »
Haha...well put TanK...are you still giving lessons?  On a side note, I think I saw your Corona bottle still floating its way across the lake...lol

hahaha.... time in a capsule buddy... tiempo en la c├ípsula

jamison99

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 12:16:01 PM »
LOL you taking the day off or are you gonna venture out to cliff?

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 12:40:07 PM »
LOL you taking the day off or are you gonna venture out to cliff?

day off, to rest and lick my wounds....