Author Topic: Dogs in Leagues  (Read 1685 times)

LKillian

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Dogs in Leagues
« on: May 26, 2010, 01:30:22 AM »
How does everybody feel about somebody on your card having a dog during a league.

I have been a daytime casual golfer here in KC for 5 years or so due to my nighttime work schedule, so i have played pretty much just me and my dog. My dog is older now and i just can't bear to leave him at home when i go play. I'm only talking about single round local stuff here, weekend multi-round tourneys are a different story.

I have been hesitant to play in some of the busier leagues because i do not want to piss anyone off. I want to compete, but i don't want anybody to feel like i am causing a distraction to their game.

My dog is pretty well behaved, and has never even so much as licked a disc in his life.I have played in a few leagues and everybody has been really cool about it, but i have had to get him out of people's way a few times so i understand it could be a problem. (Line of sight stuff)

How do the pros feel about it, would it be cool if he was leashed most of the time and generally kept out of everyones way. I understand it is a competition for money, but there is far more than that to life for me.

Thanks for any input.
Lee Killian
Cooter was here.

Eric

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs in Leagues
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 06:53:45 AM »
I've played a round with you and cooter I didnt have any problems with it. As you said your dog is calm and didnt cause a problem on our card.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 07:30:06 AM »
I hate when people bring dogs to the park.  We're tryin' to play golf here people!!! :)
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

GOT D??? do u

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 08:54:43 AM »
REALLY DICK ::)... ummm last time i checked you bring YOUR dog out to play :o.... HYPOCRITE  ;D

I  dont mind anymore if the dogs OWNER is making sure to keep them under control & out of peoples way... but if u just let them run around free & the dog REPEATEDLY keeps getting in the way, I WILL say something...

I havent played with you or your dog so i cant say anything about yours but i have played with a few who just let their MUTT run free & there is nothing worse than being on you putt & have a DOG stroll up to the basket... double edge knife there cuz its not like the owner is gonna say SPARKY GET OVER HERE ( dont know if thats someones dogs name just throwing it out there wouldnt want someone getting their PANTIES IN A WAD ) cause MOST of us know to be quiet while people are putting...

So go ahead bring the old cooter out to play ;D
Caleb "FOUL MOUTH" Coffman

COME, YE CHILDREN, LISTEN TO ME. I WILL TEACH YOU THE FEAR OF THE LORD  PSALMS 34:11

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 10:01:11 AM »
I hate when people bring dogs to the park.  We're tryin' to play golf here people!!! :)

This would be a $martass comment from Dick, as he brings plenty of Duma Cheer to the park.

IN league play its not a big deal.  If your dog is behaved and easily maintained to control.

It is however not allowed per the PDGA rules for events, and as such during any tournament play I think that the dog is a lot more distracting when nerves are on end.

If it gets you to league, bring em out, please ensure that they leave no surprises on the course though, like Jim last week on #3 in Olathe......that was one $hitty throw he had! ;D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 10:03:13 AM »
Does he lick his fingers before he throws???  :o
Steven Disc Glover

Hurrishane

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 12:11:24 PM »

I hate when people bring dogs to the park.  We're tryin' to play golf here people!!!

Even with emoticons, italics, bold, "lol", etc., scarcasm can be difficult to detect on message boards, especially for the dim-witted. I would ask that everyone please refrain from making sardonic comments in the future. Satire and irony are also difficult to process, so please be literal and straightforward with all future messages or the comment board police will be after you!

::)

BTW, although I'm not an open player or a pro by any means, I'm perfectly fine with dogs at league, as long as the owner can control them and they are not chasing discs. In fact, I woud appreciate seeing more dog caddies on the courses. I can't recall ever seeing one here in KC, but once in Portland I played with a guy who had a saddle on his dog that served as a bag carrier.
Shane Whitaker
KCFDC #929

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 12:50:51 PM »
Paul Eklund's old dog Cody was his caddy for years until he moved up the stairway, it was pretty cool!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 12:51:53 PM »

I can't recall ever seeing one here in KC, but once in Portland I played with a guy who had a saddle on his dog that served as a bag carrier.

Paul Eklund used to bring Cody out to play all the time with a saddle of discs on his back. Cody was a good dog. RIP Cody.

Dogs at league are common. You can see McCoy at leagues with Mark Stiles frequently too. As long as it's a good dog and not crazy. Anyone remember Greg Neu? He had a dog at Wyco one time that kept running up and stealing people's discs during a casual round we were throwing. It was absolutely hilarious to see Greg chasing that dog around yelling at it to drop the disc. That is what you don't want at league. But jeez was that funny....   :D  Mainly because it was almost always Greg's disc he stole.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

tedkeith

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 01:15:30 PM »
Don't you mean that you see Stiles with McCoy??

kcRhyno

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 01:26:55 PM »
Dogs rule, cats drool.
Ryan "Rhyno" Westa
Do everyone a favor, pick up at least one piece of trash during every round.

GOT D??? do u

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 01:34:55 PM »
POOR McCOY  :( :o ;D ;D ;D
Caleb "FOUL MOUTH" Coffman

COME, YE CHILDREN, LISTEN TO ME. I WILL TEACH YOU THE FEAR OF THE LORD  PSALMS 34:11

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 02:02:50 PM »
I hate when people bring dogs to the park.  We're tryin' to play golf here people!!!
...but once in Portland I played with a guy who had a saddle on his dog...

That's one BIG dog  :o

WOOF!
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 02:14:11 PM »
Don't you mean that you see Stiles with McCoy??

Depends on how you look at it.   ;D

Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Beat Hummel

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 04:26:10 PM »
I take Sophie to leagues all the time.  She occasionally wanders into a line of sight but is good other than that.  I only had 1 person complain (to themselves not directly to me)...what do you know....it was Caleb Coffman  :o  i recall my dog was about 75 feet past the basket when you shanked your putt and started cussing to yourself about the dog....i COMPLETELY understood because that was the ONLY putt that you missed that day Caleb (FYI that last sentence=sarcasm).