Author Topic: Found Discs Will Be Offered For Sale at DGW Starting June 1  (Read 1640 times)

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
As many of you know, Disc Golf World has encouraged people to return lost discs to us to facilitate their return. When we get a found disc, we immediately call or email the owner. Sometimes, we make a second call. Although many discs have been reunited with their owners, we are now sitting on nearly 200 discs that have not been claimed in at least six months. We need to get rid of them.

Starting June 1, we are going to offer these discs for sale with the proceeds going towards the Kansas City Wide Open. We will be open this weekend and encourage you to stop by if you remember us calling you about a disc a long time ago, and you never came for it. Of course, if you find your disc in the for-sale boxes after the sale begins, you may claim it. We have a separate stack of about 40 discs that we have called recently. (Within 6 months.)

Moving forward, we're going to start marking on the found discs the day we make the call to its owner, and will hold those discs for 60 days. After that time, they will become for-sale discs.

I know a lot of people contact the found disc's owner and tell them that they will take it to Disc Golf World. While you're always welcome to come to the store, unless you get a call from Disc Golf World, the disc probably hasn't been delivered to us yet. We strive to contact disc owners as soon as they are returned to us.

Thanks to everyone who keep the community spirit alive by trying to get discs back to their owners.

Rick

Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

Captklank

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Found Discs Will Be Offered For Sale at DGW Starting June 1
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 11:42:41 AM »
Rick would you also accept used discs donated for the sale to benefit the Wide Open?
Team Ls Discs

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 12:55:09 PM »
Excellent service to provide to our community, thanks so much for all that you do to help out disc golf Rick!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 12:59:14 PM »
Rick would you also accept used discs donated for the sale to benefit the Wide Open?

Good question. I have a few I'll add to the pile.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 01:00:23 PM »
I have a LOT I would add to the pile :D.

Seansponsoredam

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 01:16:40 PM »
Is there a way to get the unclaimed discs to the recycling bin.  I don't know if Innova or Discraft do the echo plastic with old discs or not. 

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 01:48:09 PM »

Yes.

Thanks.

Rick Rothstein

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 01:50:29 PM »
Is there a way to get the unclaimed discs to the recycling bin.  I don't know if Innova or Discraft do the echo plastic with old discs or not. 

They do not.  Dave Dunipace said removing the dirt and other impurities isn't cost effective.

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 02:58:58 PM »
Just to clarify, after the 2010 Wide Open, used discs that are sold during the year will always contribute to the WO each year? Don't mean to slipt hairs, just checking.

Great idea btw....
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 03:57:48 PM »
Just to clarify, after the 2010 Wide Open, used discs that are sold during the year will always contribute to the WO each year? Don't mean to slipt hairs, just checking.

Great idea btw....

If not the Wide Open, then some other community, charitable, or KCFDC project.

Rick Rothstein

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

mularific

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 07:41:32 PM »
Being a pretty new disc golfer, I would be interested in buying some of these. Any idea on what kind of prices?

Seansponsoredam

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 11:38:02 AM »

They do not.  Dave Dunipace said removing the dirt and other impurities isn't cost effective.
Good thing ERTH DAY is only once a year!

Beat Hummel

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 11:01:37 PM »
Discussed this topic on the course today.  Is anyone aware of any programs in any of the area schools (that have courses) for disc golf?  With the addition of Blue Springs aren't there 3 or 4 school-courses in the metro now?  If nothing like this is being done it would be a cool idea to get some of this plastic to these schools P.E. teachers along with a little knowledge of the game/rules and see if they could incorporate some disc golf in the curriculum.  Get the youth involved ;D  Plus then you might see them come in to DGW buying new plastic, so they can lose it and the cycle repeats itself.....

Seth W

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 10:20:28 AM »
Discussed this topic on the course today.  Is anyone aware of any programs in any of the area schools (that have courses) for disc golf?  With the addition of Blue Springs aren't there 3 or 4 school-courses in the metro now?  If nothing like this is being done it would be a cool idea to get some of this plastic to these schools P.E. teachers along with a little knowledge of the game/rules and see if they could incorporate some disc golf in the curriculum.  Get the youth involved ;D  Plus then you might see them come in to DGW buying new plastic, so they can lose it and the cycle repeats itself.....

I think this is the best idea so far.  The KCWO has funding in place, so where would the additional $ be spent for this event? Selling lost items for profit is a touchy issue in my opinion.  This scenario, on a much larger scale, is very similar to what Larry does @ Rosedale and we all have are own opinions about that.  I know DGW does their best to ruturn the discs, but I believe there are better options out there. 

With that said and assuming these items will be sold for profit  :(, I started thinking of different ways to apply the funds to the KCWO.  My idea: get some footage of the event and pay an editor to create a dope, high quality youtube video featuring local players.  It would support the KCWO and we can show the disc golf world how lucky we are to play in KC everyday.             

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 12:41:04 PM »
Hang on guys. We have contacted or left messages for the people who lost these discs. As they have not responded or tried to pick up their discs in at least 6 months and space was becoming an issue, I decided to use them to enhance the Wide Open. We do pull the putters and understable mids and drivers and put them in the demo box that is available for anyone who needs discs for a clinic. Jack Lowe used these discs at the clinic he did recently at SMP.

Of course, it would be great to have PE teachers teaching disc golf, and DGW has worked with many schools who have contacted us. And we will continue to do so. However, at this point, we do not have the capacity to visit schools, but Spencer, I would encourage you to follow up your very good idea with action. DGW will do what it can—be it new discs at wholesale or donating used ones—to get plastic in the hands of the teachers you recruit.

As to the funding of the Wide Open, sponsorship is not rolling in a very remarkable pace this year and thus, I cannot agree with Seth when he says that "the KCWO has funding in place." Your idea for a video has some merit. Are you interested in making it happen? If so, work up a budget and give me a call.

Thanks for thinking out loud.

I think this is the best idea so far.  The KCWO has funding in place, so where would the additional $ be spent for this event? Selling lost items for profit is a touchy issue in my opinion.  This scenario, on a much larger scale, is very similar to what Larry does @ Rosedale and we all have are own opinions about that.  I know DGW does their best to ruturn the discs, but I believe there are better options out there. 

With that said and assuming these items will be sold for profit  :(, I started thinking of different ways to apply the funds to the KCWO.  My idea: get some footage of the event and pay an editor to create a dope, high quality youtube video featuring local players.  It would support the KCWO and we can show the disc golf world how lucky we are to play in KC everyday.             

Rick Rothstein

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com