Author Topic: great job blue springs parks dept!!!  (Read 1984 times)

Eric

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
great job blue springs parks dept!!!
« on: May 27, 2010, 07:05:44 AM »
Played two rounds yesterday course has been mowed and weed wacked in a few places. Also there has been alot of hydro seeding done!!! Sweet. Park is looking great.

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: great job blue springs parks dept!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:31:34 PM »
like i have said many times, BSPR do it right.  i would like to see them bring in a truck with tank sprayers and just spray the whole park down.  I remember them mentioning that it was too wet at one point to bring in trucks.  Bring in hydromulch is an impressive move, especially since we already had the grand opening and they could turn their attention else where.

They are committed and they will get this course looking fantastic.  Grant it, they do not have 270 parks to maintain,but Young will continue to look better and better as time goes on.  They really are a model parks dept.

GOT D??? do u

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 09:42:30 PM »
Wish Lees Summit was that way ::).... Way to go Blue Springs Parks department only can hope this will force Lees Summits hand a little bit in park maintenance... it would be nice but i doubt it...  >:( I dont know how Lees Summit parks department can ever think it will draw a lot of users when they are only gonna mow the rough 4 times a year >:(.... 
Caleb "FOUL MOUTH" Coffman

COME, YE CHILDREN, LISTEN TO ME. I WILL TEACH YOU THE FEAR OF THE LORD  PSALMS 34:11

hyzerponix

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 01:20:04 PM »
John, you really have outdone yourself this time! The course is absolutely beautiful and full of unique and challenging holes. Some fairways have a bit too many trees for my tastes, but all in all the course is just awesome and a tremendous example of how to utilize a piece of land to its utmost potential. I was particularly moved when I saw your acknowledgment from the BSPR on the sign near the parking lot. Thank you for all your hard work and congratulations on creating such a great course!

GOT D??? do u

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 12:49:15 AM »
Im sure John has the most hours involved but there were OTHER people involved in course LAYOUT & WORK that should be THANKED as well... not just JOHN... to those guys that contributed u know who u are THANKS
Caleb "FOUL MOUTH" Coffman

COME, YE CHILDREN, LISTEN TO ME. I WILL TEACH YOU THE FEAR OF THE LORD  PSALMS 34:11

hyzerponix

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 10:11:33 AM »
Im sure John has the most hours involved but there were OTHER people involved in course LAYOUT & WORK that should be THANKED as well... not just JOHN... to those guys that contributed u know who u are THANKS

Well, that goes without saying. Heck, I've got a few hours logged there for spraying ivy and such, and there are others who worked many more hours than I did, but they know who they are. But I think it's safe to say that John was pretty much the catalyst behind every effort that brought this course and also Yates into existence. It's one thing to say you've logged countless hours in course maintenance, but it's another thing altogether to say you've also designed and installed two great courses that folks will continue to enjoy for years to come. I believe our disc golf community has something special in John, and I would hope he might be involved in the design phase of any future courses in our area because he obviously has a knack for getting the most out of the land that's available.

John and I don't always agree on everything, in fact we have had some heated discussions in the past regarding political/educational issues. But when it comes to designing a great disc golf course, there are few others I enjoy having such conversations with because his passion for it shows and makes for such interesting discussion. John, you're the man, dude! ;D

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 10:16:54 AM »
i noticed the boy scouts were in on this course, as a proud father of an eagle scout, i thought those bridges might have been worked on by the troop, not sure though.
espouse elucidation

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 01:09:50 PM »
Thanks for  the nice comments folks, however it was a team effort like Caleb said.  i have a group of folks that i know that i can count on. They do more than just post, they work.  They were dependable, unselfish, and happy to give back.  That is what makes the KCFDC so valuable.  We can organize quickly and accomplish great things.  i do not care about the attention, i care about tax dollars not being wasted. Mike was absolutely correct when he said this course will be here forever. I was concerned by a local P&R who were not as willing to listen and be as patient as the BSPR.  And as a result, i feel that the way this course was routed, was negligent of the best land features.  I do not walk around proclaiming to be a pro course desinger,i certainly have a great deal more to learn,  but i have learned a great deal on several different projects and i consulted with many folks from the club.  The routing for Young was discussed with several folks, and the KCFDC was extremely helpful and valuable in this whole process.

Caleb is correct about thanking everyone.  I have thanked all the those that have helped in other threads and am very appreciative of their volunteerism.   This course looked fantastic on opening weekend because of their hard work.  I would have been nice to have thanked some other folks that posts here so often, but they were not available to help.  There will be more work days in the future, so if you missed out, there will be more chances for you to give back.  BSPR mentioned they wanted to open the course up in some areas so  there will be opportunities to give back.  Our courses are great in KC becuase of  generous volunteerism of the KCFDC and local golfers, so once again thanks to the best disc golf club in the US.

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 01:43:46 PM »
i noticed the boy scouts were in on this course, as a proud father of an eagle scout, i thought those bridges might have been worked on by the troop, not sure though.

the boys built all of those bridges, isn't that correct John?

even if they only built one that's pretty freakin cool.  those bridges are awesome and without so much as a squeak when you step on it.

Eric

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 04:55:36 PM »
I believe it was the high school kids that built them. I could be wrong.

slimneal

• Pro Poster
  • New bridge, new day
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 11:12:35 PM »
To the folks who have too many trees in their way....
No law says you have to hit them, someday they won't be there.
Just sayin..... I can hardly wait, I may do the same.

I have seen too many lost wood souls in 30 years.
Still smoking with hickory from Swope.

HickoryWindSlim
I throw a whippet with mucho mungo
But it turned over and coondogged a tree

hyzerponix

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 09:52:28 AM »
I appreciate your philosophy on that, Slim, but I hold no place in my heart for locust trees, especially those in the middle of disc golf fairways... ;D

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 10:06:03 AM »
I appreciate your philosophy on that, Slim, but I hold no place in my heart for locust trees, especially those in the middle of disc golf fairways... ;D

Nor hedge....
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 03:12:45 PM »
those two trees mentioned are some of the best hard wood trees in missouri.   you try not to build holes around trees that could die in the next decade. If you got a tree that makes a hole, but then dies, now the hole has completely changed.  For example hole 2 ROsie and so many at swope.   you design around hardwood trees becuase they can take a beating over and over and over when they are not as mature.    it does stink when you hit one and a thorn goes into your disc.

hyzerponix

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 11:27:05 PM »
I don't mind hedge trees but locust trees? They don't bear nuts for squirrels, or flowers for the bee-- for every locust you don't cut down, I'm going to cut down three. 8)