Author Topic: Old Pike Update  (Read 4176 times)

tedkeith

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Old Pike Update
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:00:47 PM »
Old Pike Country Club is now 12 holes and should be 13 or 14 by next week. The course is looking great.

Kevin Vetsch and Mike Thomas have really stepped up and put in a lot of hours out there lately cutting holes in the woods. Two of the new holes are on the end of the course and the other might become hole one. The newest and next holes are Down Under types with multiple routes. If this is a course you play be sure to thank Mike and Kevin when you see them.

If you haven't played at Old Pike, come on out. There will be random doubles on Tuesdays at 6:00 going forward. We have been doing a $5 payback and $1 to the course basket fund.

The basket fund grew tonight with Zach Kirby's $15 donation and the $15 I paid out for my first ever black ace. Got my Star Valk hyzer too low and flat and wide on 7 and a crosswind held it straight... straight into the chains on 9. Bizzzam!  :-\  It think Zach enjoyed it more than anyone as I have been ribbing him since last year about the one he had at Water Works league. Guess I gotta shut my pie hole now.

Captklank

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Old Pike Update
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 10:28:53 PM »
No Ted say it aint so!!!
Team Ls Discs

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »
Ted got a black ace! 

Soylent Green is people!

Old Pike Mike

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 11:01:31 AM »
Ted's Ace was thing of beauty!  Old Pike has the potential to be a beautiful 18 hole course with a good mix of long holes and "down under" type holes.  The course is looking great and we hope to add the knotty hole and another hole in the forrest this week! 

We also are encouraging OP to order two more baskets this week by spending the annual budget allocated for the course.  We will still be three baskets short for 18 and we will be out of funds for course improvements.  So, please come out and play doubles on Tuesdays!  We have only had one Tuesday league and already have $64 in the basket fund.  But, we can't count on Ted hitting a black ACE and everyone donating their $5 to the basket fund every week.   

OP does not expect to make money on the course and is considering establishing a non profit entity specifically for the course.  We have asked them to set up a donation box to support the maintenance and allow additional improvements to the course.   

OP is happy to see the traffic and they appreciate the improvements we have made.  But, they don't want this to turn into a public park (with trash, graphitti, etc.)  Please remember that we are their guests and keep the course beautiful!  We got them to put out several trash cans; so, please pitch in.   

hyzerponix

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 12:03:07 PM »
OP is happy to see the traffic and they appreciate the improvements we have made.  But, they don't want this to turn into a public park (with trash, graphitti, etc.)  Please remember that we are their guests and keep the course beautiful!  We got them to put out several trash cans; so, please pitch in.   

Maybe make it pay to play then-- we almost always donate a few buck every time we play there anyway. Even a $3 charge would keep the litterbug/graffiti asshats away (they're not the type who pay their way into anything) and ensure that this course will be here for a long time.

Great job on the recent additions!

Captklank

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 01:01:33 PM »
lets do a fundraiser event and make some money for the baskets.
Team Ls Discs

hyzerponix

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 01:11:54 PM »
lets do a fundraiser event and make some money for the baskets.

That's a great idea, and I'd also like to do a similar event to raise money for some good trees to plant on the back 9 at Cliff. What would be a good way to structure the fee/payout in order to get the most people out and the most funds raised for the cause?

GOT D??? do u

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 04:24:29 PM »
thats A LOT EASIER said then done Doug... I transplanted a 2' 1/2 to 3' foot tall pent oak on hole #6 at Pleasant Hill... I dug most of the 4 foot deep hole & my dad helped a little but i was prolly still a foot AWAY from getting all the TAP ROOT which is VITAL when i cut through it on accident...

WE should look into getting trees DONATED to our parks on NATIONAL ARBOR DAY... or ASK HOME DEPOT or LOWES if they would be INTERESTED in DONATING trees that they have reduced due to not selling or getting late in the planting season... then we would have to figure out how to get good fertile soil for planting & water DAILY...

I have a GREEN THUMB you could say & HOLE SIZE, SOIL & WATERING r KEY to SURVIVAL... for a tree the hole can really never be to big or deep as long as the tree is set in properly... every TREE i PLANT the HOLE is at least 1 size bigger than it needed to be it allows for water penetration & a huge BOWL to fill so it stays moist longer & deeper that way the roots grow DOWN not OUT...

for EXAMPLE if u want to plant a tree with a 12" rootball the hole should be about 40" deep & 40" wide tapering slightly like a BOWL... alot of landscape companies will even put in a small PVC PIPE that goes down to the bottom of the hole to were they insure that it gets moisture down in the bottom versus just up top VITAL for the TAP ROOT it ensures that it will go DOWN were soil stays moist longer

I have my own soil concoction that i use mixing 4 different types of soil together... it works FABULOUS... yes you have to BUY these but it works wonders for PLANT SURVIVAL & GROWTH
Caleb "FOUL MOUTH" Coffman

COME, YE CHILDREN, LISTEN TO ME. I WILL TEACH YOU THE FEAR OF THE LORD  PSALMS 34:11

hyzerponix

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 04:39:59 PM »
Yep, Caleb said it exactly. Digging up a tree for transplanting is a beeyotch. The maple on behind #1's pad and the little oak tree on #16 were done that way, but I want some good 2"-thick trees that will not only be sure to endure, but will also provide instant results as far as making the holes more interesting. I have buddy at work who has a tractor with a 2" spade attachment, and he's already said he'll come out and spade the trees in for us if we pay his gas money.

Okay, sorry, back to Old Pike discussion...

Old Pike Mike

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 09:05:43 AM »
There is so much work to be done that its hard to rest until we get more pins in.  We still have four or five fairways that are in the formative stages.  Its great to hear feedback/recommendations on the final lay out; although it seems we have considered about everything.  I'm heading to OP this morning to see if I can set a couple of posts for two more baskets.

We Absolutely want to have a fun fund raiser tournament at Old Pike!  But, first we need to organize a work day: so, we at least have fairways cleared for temporary baskets. 

Ash

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 04:47:23 PM »
Just played this course. Great work so far. Enjoyed it.
Ash Lawrence
KCFDC # 994

AdamC

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 08:35:29 AM »
Is Tuesday doubles still going on out at Old Pike?

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 09:29:26 AM »
I got a text on my phone that says so....I also think that the course shold be a pay to play deal......$3/day M-Th, and $5/day Fri, Sat, Sun, you have to get a like a wristband at the proshop would be the best, or ask them to leave.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 10:46:27 AM »
There's a donation box @ the marquee, and $1.00 of the $6.00 @ league goes to the course. Dubs on Tuesdays always, and pleaase be on your best behavior as we share the land with families @ the clubhouse. Allegedly there is a discount membership to the pool for DGers<$300.00 family, I'm not sure>
espouse elucidation

hyzerponix

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 11:07:58 AM »
I got a text on my phone that says so....I also think that the course shold be a pay to play deal......$3/day M-Th, and $5/day Fri, Sat, Sun, you have to get a like a wristband at the proshop would be the best, or ask them to leave.....

I think it makes sense in this case being it's a private establishment that doesn't wish for it to have the type of traffic that the public parks do. A pay system like Jack is advocating would definitely help keep the jackasses out of there.